Sex scandal payouts by US Catholic Church reaches 2 Billion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:02:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sex scandal payouts by US Catholic Church reaches 2 Billion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sex scandal payouts by US Catholic Church reaches 2 Billion  (Read 1980 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2007, 03:05:37 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6899391.stm

Stupid jabs and puns aside, discuss the rammifications.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »

Hahaha.  My only comment on the 'ram-ifications' is I suspect they were mostly pretty consensual and no great harm done in most cases. 
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:59:33 AM »

One of the former priests at my former parish was the one who molested Foley. You could imagine my surprise. I had heard the guy say mass literally HUNDREDS of times, and everyone appreciated his brevity. So, he retired to Malta and nobody thought of him for a few years and then suddenly he's talking about how much of a pedophile he was to Katie Couric.
nlm
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:43:24 AM »

Ah, this is just another example of those that would force values that they do not practice themselves upon the American people. The Catholic Church needs to take a serious look in the mirror, as do the individual Catholics that help shape the policies that allow these disgraces with their generous donations, and clean house. Maybe letting their preists and other representatives they expose to the public get married or get laid (by those that actually want to have sex with them as opposed to little boys) would help them stop being a group that is made of child predators and people that shelter child predators.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

"I remember one Archbishop telling me, 'My feeling about this, Tom, is no one's ever going to sue the Catholic Church.'"

THE REV. THOMAS DOYLE, saying that he warned church leaders 20 years ago that clergy-abuse costs could eventually exceed $1 billion. Known settlements now total $1.06 billion

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1071257,00.html
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:50:04 AM »

Kudos to the Protestants of this country covering up their own indiscretions so well.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »

Kudos to the Protestants of this country covering up their own indiscretions so well.

Like the leader of the Us's largest church that got busted for buy drugs and having "massages" from a gay prostitute?

C'mon States, while I know plenty of Protestant leaders have skeletons, it's not to the tune of 2bn, I know you're a conservative Catholic and view Ratzinger as a good pope, but something is wrong with your system when a. priests have such mental breakdown that they commit these abuses    b. Church leaders shuffle them from place to place to avoid conflict.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »

And other religions.
nlm
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

C'mon States, while I know plenty of Protestant leaders have skeletons, it's not to the tune of 2bn, I know you're a conservative Catholic and view Ratzinger as a good pope, but something is wrong with your system when a. priests have such mental breakdown that they commit these abuses    b. Church leaders shuffle them from place to place to avoid conflict.

The thing the Catholics need to understand is that these abuse have been repeated many times by people operating seperately within their system. It's become an institutionalized problem. It is undoubtably, at least in part, a result of their system. The fact that the hierarchy of the church has provided cover for these abusers has made the problem endemic.

I'm not going to hold up one religion as a shining example of morality, they all tend to wallow in self rightous sess pools. However, a group that knowingly provides shelter for numerous child sex offenders and gives them access to unsuspecting children that are taught to trust people in the position they are being placed earns a special level of contempt. The complete void of ethics and morals required to do that to children isn't worthy of hedonist, mush less an organization that claims to be the moral compass of the planet.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 03:08:02 PM »

The thing the Catholics need to understand is that these abuse have been repeated many times by people operating seperately within their system. It's become an institutionalized problem. It is undoubtably, at least in part, a result of their system. The fact that the hierarchy of the church has provided cover for these abusers has made the problem endemic.

I'm not going to hold up one religion as a shining example of morality, they all tend to wallow in self rightous sess pools. However, a group that knowingly provides shelter for numerous child sex offenders and gives them access to unsuspecting children that are taught to trust people in the position they are being placed earns a special level of contempt. The complete void of ethics and morals required to do that to children isn't worthy of hedonist, mush less an organization that claims to be the moral compass of the planet.

Well said, in reality I view the Catholic Church as much better than most of the denominations in the Protestant church, but to ignoire things like this is a little strange.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

C'mon States, while I know plenty of Protestant leaders have skeletons, it's not to the tune of 2bn, I know you're a conservative Catholic and view Ratzinger as a good pope

Another thing I notice about people that don't like this Pope - they call him by his last name. He did accept another name you know. Did you ever call John Paul II "Wojtyla?"
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

C'mon States, while I know plenty of Protestant leaders have skeletons, it's not to the tune of 2bn, I know you're a conservative Catholic and view Ratzinger as a good pope

Another thing I notice about people that don't like this Pope - they call him by his last name. He did accept another name you know. Did you ever call John Paul II "Wojtyla?"

I don't fancy the Popes much in general, had I ever addressed something about the last Pope I may have called him that who knows.

Look, I know you guys are thrilled about a Consrvative Pope, form your point of view he has to be great, but from mine, someone who would like a total rapprochement between the two branches, he's not off to a great start.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »

Look, I know you guys are thrilled about a Consrvative Pope, form your point of view he has to be great, but from mine, someone who would like a total rapprochement between the two branches, he's not off to a great start.

Actually, I am not thrilled with this Pope thus far.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

Or not so well.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

I can't help but wonder. When people give tithes to the Catholic Church, is their money going to go to worthy, Christian causes? Or will it be used to pay off abuse victims?

With $2 billion spent, it sure looks like they're more concerned with their own image than helping the needy.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:07:17 PM »

I can't help but wonder. When people give tithes to the Catholic Church, is their money going to go to worthy, Christian causes? Or will it be used to pay off abuse victims?

With $2 billion spent, it sure looks like they're more concerned with their own image than helping the needy.

I'd rather they pay off abuse victims than go around telling people in Africa that they shouldn't use condoms.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies