when will the republicans win another presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:49:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  when will the republicans win another presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the republicans win another presidential election?  (Read 9997 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: July 13, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »

2020. At which point political scientists will be able to speak of the "Democratic era," as they will have won the popular vote in all but one election since 1988.

I doubt it. It'll probably be referred to as the Bush-Clinton era, assuming Hillary is elected in 2008.  Hell, it's quite possible I could be 28 by the time I live under a President whose last name isn't Bush or Clinton.

Hmmm.. Jeb Bush 2016? Or will he be too old by then?

Or possibly George P. Bush, Jeb's half-hispanic son.

That would be a scary thought. Even if Hillary wins two terms I think it would, overall, be bad for American democracy since it would mean 22 years of control by two dominant political families. I really don't want to see America become like the late Roman Republic or India anytime soon.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:59:16 AM »

Want third parties to get in? Then change the FPTP system you love so much.

No, we just need to remove the barriers put in place in allowing ballot access.  Switching away from FPTP without changing ballot access still leaves the third-parties severely disadvantaged by the two dominanting parties.

the winner-take-all system forces people into massive camps.  a third party or third parties could never thrive under the current electoral system, regardless of how easy it is to get on the ballot.

Yes it's called Duverger's Law and has been proven throughout most political contexts. The FPTP system leads to two dominant parties that are the only ones that can win elections. In a majority of circumstances it leads to a direct two party system in the minority, usually Westminster-style parliamentary democracies, it leads to what is known as the two and a half party system were "third parties" exist but their ability to actually win the election is very close to zero.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies