when will the republicans win another presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:50:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  when will the republicans win another presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the republicans win another presidential election?  (Read 9961 times)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« on: July 13, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »

2020. At which point political scientists will be able to speak of the "Democratic era," as they will have won the popular vote in all but one election since 1988.

I doubt it. It'll probably be referred to as the Bush-Clinton era, assuming Hillary is elected in 2008.  Hell, it's quite possible I could be 28 by the time I live under a President whose last name isn't Bush or Clinton.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 01:02:31 AM »

I dunno. It's hard to imagine her winning, but at the same time, come on, it's hard to imagine her losing.

In theory, 2008 should be 1980 in reverse. The Republicans are all uniting behind Bush's failed and unpopular policies in Iraq. The Democrats are favored on every issue except for national security, where we're pretty much even. And look at the top GOP contenders: We have a Mormon Flip-flopper, a pro-choicer with a sh**tload of personal baggage, John McCain (no other description required), and some Bush-clone southern conservative. When was the last time a political party has won a Presidential election when their incumbent had an approval rating in the 20s?

However, I figure we nominate Hillary, and the GOP unites behind whatever schmuck they nominate in opposition to her.  But then she fucks up somehow: verbal gaffe, poor debate performance, neglecting disgruntled left-wing voters, not attacking an easily-attackable opponent, failure to adequately respond to GOP smear campaigns, you name it. While the GOP nominee gradually moves to the left on the war while still uttering their usual "no surrender" bullsh**t. That takes down Hillary to the 48% of the vote that we've been receiving in 2000 and 2004.

But yeah, I'm probably acting like Tweed in early 2006 when he was predicting a Santorum victory.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies