when will the republicans win another presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:04:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  when will the republicans win another presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the republicans win another presidential election?  (Read 9987 times)
nlm
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:15:39 AM »

probably 2016 at the earliest.

the gop of today is much like the democrat party of the 80s....out of touch and not trusted by the majority of americans.

the republicans need to lose a few elections and rebuild the party...like the democrats did in 1992.

I have no claim to owning a crystal ball, but it appears to me that '08 is shaping up to be a poor year for the GOP (though much can change in a years time) and who ever wins in '08 will most likely have an advantage in '12 (as most sitting Presidents do).

It is certainly my hope that the GOP will rebuild their party, but I see no indication as of yet that they will, or if they do that it will be rebuilt into something that is similar to what I liked about the party long ago.
nlm
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »

I'm sure we are going to be getting universal health care pretty soon after 08,Whether it be with Clinton,Obama or Romney.

God I hope not.

youre perfectly comfortable with the lower classes going without health care?

they shouldnt get so uppity should they?  they should realize they are human garbage.

typical hubris.

The one has nothing to do with the other.  For starters, of the 47 Million who do not have coverage plans in their name, how many of them have coverage through their spouses (one of the items overlooked often in statistics).  Secondly, if in fact that 47 Million do not currently have coverage, how many have plans offered to them through their employer and they just choose not to participate?  Lastly, if in fact that 47 Million do not have coverage and do not have plans offered to them through their companies, how will creating a nation-wide government plan that will include everyone (not just the 47 Million) be more beneficial to them than changing the law to allow local and cross-state organizations to form to offer discounted or free insurance plans to those who are actually in need?

The last thing this nation needs is a top-level government nanny program that will end up becoming more of an economic strain on the taxpayers than that of Social Security is right now.  What we need to do is have the Congress pass laws allowing the easy access to local and cross-state insurance providers to provide plans to the individual at a group rate, provide assistance to charity organizations who offer free coverage to those who are actually in need, and encourage preventative medicine in regions where medical cases are high.  From there, you can tackle the causes of skyrocketing health care expenses (lawsuits, Medicare claims, etc), and insurance plan costs for everyone could then begin to decrease. 

That's all nice MODU, but the nation has waited so long for action that many folks are tired of waiting and want something fairly easy to understand. In addition to the millions that are uninsured, there are millions more with crap insurance that only covers them nominally. Corporations have been decreasing the quaility of the insurance they offer for a number of years now. On top of that, medical bills have become a leading cause of bankruptcy - and not only among those without insurance but also those that didn't have adequate insurance. It's a big problem and one that Congress should have been working on long ago.

This has been a question of priorities for our law makers, and health care hasn't ranked very high. The fact that the GOP put bankruptcy reform (which wasn't an entirely bad idea) ahead of health care refrom (which is causing even more bankruptcy now that bankruptcy has been reformed) really shows where our law makers hearts are. People are getting sick of it and that leads to a knee jerk solutions that people can understand easily. I don't blame them for being sick of it, health care in this country is fairly ridiculous, however universal government run health care in a country with a population as large as ours and as much economic stratification as ours presents some problem that I don't think have been looked at that well by those that support such an idea. If the GOP had been a little bit less of a bloodsucking hoard we would be in a better position today on health care and a big bloated national care plan wouldn't be such a serious topic of discussion. If Congress doesn't make nuanced choices to solve actually problems that people are living through but insted ignores thems, it's only a matter of time until the people start to demand something that completely lacks nuance and balance.

When and if we get yet another giant tax payer funded program, I'll be blaming both the GOP and Dems for making it possible. The GOP for ignoring the problem to such a degree that this idea became popularized and the Dems for taking that popularity and running with it.
nlm
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »

And you hit on a big point of it all.  For all the talk both sides do on the issue, they really don't do much to actually solve it . . . and why should they?  If they solve the issue, they won't have anything to campaign on in the future.  There are so many corrections we can make in our current laws, both on the national and state level, that can resolve most of the problems of the current health care system without resorting to adding yet another layer of government bureaucracy as a bandaid, which really all the so-called universal healthcare plans talked about today are in reality.  If the politicians would put half the time and effort into researching the problem rather than talking about it each campaign cycle, this could have been resolved years ago.

If you really want to fix these problems - it all starts with election and campaign finance reform. These are things that most Republicans hate and quite a few Democrats do not like as well. People can argue that spending money equals free speech till they are blue in the face, but what they are actually doing is defending the status quo of our broken political system.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies