when will the republicans win another presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:25:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  when will the republicans win another presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the republicans win another presidential election?  (Read 9960 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« on: July 12, 2007, 08:06:06 PM »

probably 2016 at the earliest.

the gop of today is much like the democrat party of the 80s....out of touch and not trusted by the majority of americans.

the republicans need to lose a few elections and rebuild the party...like the democrats did in 1992.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »

one thing is for sure...if the 47 million people in america without health insurance would get off of their asses and vote their best interests, the republican party would be forced to change or die.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »

one thing is for sure...if the 47 million people in america without health insurance would get off of their asses and vote their best interests, the republican party would be forced to change or die.

I'm sure we are going to be getting universal health care pretty soon after 08,Whether it be with Clinton,Obama or Romney.

God I hope not.

youre perfectly comfortable with the lower classes going without health care?

they shouldnt get so uppity should they?  they should realize they are human garbage.

typical hubris.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »

Who would you like to pay for it?  Nevermind.  I think I know the answer.

who is paying for it now?

do you actually think you are getting  a good return on your health care dollar?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 06:38:09 AM »

I'm sure we are going to be getting universal health care pretty soon after 08,Whether it be with Clinton,Obama or Romney.

God I hope not.

youre perfectly comfortable with the lower classes going without health care?

they shouldnt get so uppity should they?  they should realize they are human garbage.

typical hubris.

no, typical hubris is: anyone who doesn't support my position exactly is a poor hater.

Let me put it to you another way, I know whatever I say is going to make you dislike me/my opinions, but for my ego's sake, let me divulge.

Let's take a dichotomy: Either the 47 million will recieve health care or they won't
Another: Either government intervention in the health industry should increase or decrease.  (We shall take the current amount of intervention to not be an acceptable answer since neither of us think this is a good idea, in addition to the rest of the forum).

So, both of us pair the dichotomies differently.  That's a givern.  You seem to believe that 47 million will recieve health care if government does intervene.  I believe that 47 million will recieve health care without intervention.

So let's take this further, you seem to think that the current situation is a result of the free market and I believe that the current situation is a result of the government.
This crossroads is probably the fundamental disagreement between us.

I believe that a free market does mean free of limits.  People will have various options.  The free market is not a set constant as the government is, and this is why I believe it can work.  The free market is one that allows individuals to interact in different ways.  Instead of a singular option of having government control, there are many avenues to obtaining the same end.  This is why libertarianism is often seen as extreme.  You will have other options such as housing, schooling, and retirement where many people including myself will say that they don't readily know the answer, but I know it is not government control.  When a need arises, someone, somewhere will want to fix that need.  Health care is not my upmost concern, but out of 300 million people here and with a capitalist system in place, somebody will want to create a system where everyone can easily obtain health care and they can become rich in doing so.

Walter, I pose to you a question, and I do hope you answer it honestly:  If you knew without a doubt that the health care for all Americans could be provided without government involved, would you still want universal health care.  I am curious, and I respect whatever you say in response.

of course id support universal coverage without the government being involved...IF it was affordable for all.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 11:46:32 AM »

Want third parties to get in? Then change the FPTP system you love so much.

No, we just need to remove the barriers put in place in allowing ballot access.  Switching away from FPTP without changing ballot access still leaves the third-parties severely disadvantaged by the two dominanting parties.

modu, maybe this isnt a fair question, but im curious...why arent you a republican?  do you disagree with the republican party on anything?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

No, we just need to remove the barriers put in place in allowing ballot access.  Switching away from FPTP without changing ballot access still leaves the third-parties severely disadvantaged by the two dominanting parties.

modu, maybe this isnt a fair question, but im curious...why arent you a republican?  do you disagree with the republican party on anything?

The same question could be asked of you, Walter?  Why aren't you a Democrat?  I've answered this numerous times in the past.  I jumped out of supporting the Republican party decades ago, remained independent up till the early days of the Reform movement, and then went back to independent.  I am conservative by nature, so I will more times than not share similar views as those of the Republican party, but I do have my differences on issues, especially when the two dinosaur parties have grown closer together with their party-first mentality.

modu, im basically an independent.  i certainly vote a very split ticket.

i just happen to still be registered a republican.  and ill likely remain a republican.  im hopeful that the party will rebuild itself into something a little more secular and a little less mean-spirited.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »

The same question could be asked of you, Walter?  Why aren't you a Democrat?  I've answered this numerous times in the past.  I jumped out of supporting the Republican party decades ago, remained independent up till the early days of the Reform movement, and then went back to independent.  I am conservative by nature, so I will more times than not share similar views as those of the Republican party, but I do have my differences on issues, especially when the two dinosaur parties have grown closer together with their party-first mentality.

modu, im basically an independent.  i certainly vote a very split ticket.

i just happen to still be registered a republican.  and ill likely remain a republican.  im hopeful that the party will rebuild itself into something a little more secular and a little less mean-spirited.
Heck, i'll bet you even have the pleasantries and grace of a traditional republican. You probably drive a traditional large sedan, enjoy golf and generally live in the suburbs.

hhaha.  wrong!

i live in a very urban area.  i drive a small, economy class car.  and ive never played golf!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies