Introduction to Atlasia Bill [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:29:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Introduction to Atlasia Bill [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Introduction to Atlasia Bill [Passed]  (Read 4964 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »
« edited: July 27, 2007, 10:29:50 PM by Sam Spade »

With the Fairness to the Voter Amendment having passed the Senate, I am choosing to use the Forum Affairs/Emergency legislation spot to start debate and possible vote on the 5 major pieces of legislation Jas introduced at the beginning of this Session of the Senate.

If someone wishes to challenge my action, they may do so per Article IV, Section 2, Clause 3 of the OSPR, which reads as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The legislation is presented below

Introduction to Atlasia Bill

Whereas the Senate finds that it is beneficial to new citizens (hereinafter ‘newbies’) of Atlasia to have ease of access to basic information regarding the nation:

1. It shall hereinafter be the responsibility of the Secretary of Forum Affairs (hereinafter ‘SoFA’) to maintain an introductory thread in the Atlas Fantasy Elections Forum containing therein such matters which may be of use or benefit to newbies.

2. This thread shall include the following opening statement:
Welcome to Atlasia, a political/governmental simulation wherein participants take part in elections and referenda which shape the nature and laws of the nation. Atlasia operates as a federal state with five regions. The federal government has three branches: executive (President and Cabinet); legislative (Senate); and judicial (Supreme Court). Elections to the Presidency and Senate are held regularly.

The five regions are the Mideast; Midwest; Northeast; Pacific and Southeast. Each comprises around 10 states. Citizens of each region can participate in the regional government either as elected representatives such as the Governor or simply as proposers of legislation at the regional level. Each region has developed their own constitutions which set out their system of government.

Parties
Numerous parties exist in Atlasia encompassing a wide range of ideological positions. Many parties have a leadership, organise a platform and put forward and endorse candidates for elections. A brief summary of the ideology of the major parties is provided below. There are also numerous Independents in Atlasia who act outside of any party structure.

Registration
To join Atlasia, you must register in the Registration Thread. Simple state your name; preferred state of residence; and the party you wish to register with. You can register at any time, however there are rules in place limiting rights to vote to those who have reached a total post count on the forum of 50; have posted more than 25 times in the previous 8 weeks; and have registered more than 10 days prior to the election.

Further Information
If you want to learn more about Atlasia, you can explore the Atlas Wiki which stores the Atlasian and regional Constitutions and laws, as well as information on current office holders and some details about many of the current (and past) participants in Atlasia.

Also, you should feel free to post any questions you have about Atlasia in this thread and someone should shortly be able to provide some guidance.

3. Following the above opening statement, the SoFA shall post short statements from each of the major parties (i.e. those having 5 or more registered members). It shall be the responsibility of each party to provide a short statement (no longer than 100 words) outlining the ideology of the party to the SoFA for posting in this thread. The party may also include a link to another site (such as the party’s wiki page) which shall not count towards their word limit. Parties shall not be obliged to produce any such details should they so choose. Those which do not shall forfeit their entry. Major parties may at any time give to the SoFA an amended statement for posting.

4. The SoFA shall be free to edit the opening statement such that it correctly represents the law or state of affairs of Atlasia.

5. Each new SoFA shall create a new Introductory Thread within the terms of this Act. The SoFA shall make such representations and efforts as are necessary to ensure that his new thread shall be ‘stickied’ such that it shall always be easily accessible to newbies.

6. The SoFA shall be allowed to include in the thread such other information as he considers desirous or useful for newbies to be made aware of.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »

Seems perfect to me.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »

I offer the following amendment to section 3 regarding parties (remove the stricken text):

3. Following the above opening statement, the SoFA shall post short statements from each of the major parties (i.e. those having 5 or more registered members). It shall be the responsibility of each party to provide a short statement (no longer than 100 words) outlining the ideology of the party to the SoFA for posting in this thread. The party may also include a link to another site (such as the party’s wiki page) which shall not count towards their word limit. Parties shall not be obliged to produce any such details should they so choose. Those which do not shall forfeit their entry. Major parties may at any time give to the SoFA an amended statement for posting.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »

I thank the PPT for bringing this legislation forward.

The bill, I hope, is reasonably self explanatory. When I first came to Atlasia, such a thread existed, it explained the basic information about Atlasia - something that it quite difficult to pick up without a sustained period of keen observance or research. Such requirements are not desirable if we are to encourage newbies into the game.

I would encourage the Senate to consider whether there is any information missing from the suggested text which would be of use to newbies and encourage amendments accordingly.

The wording of the bill proposes to allow the SoFA a significant amount of room to alter the text as necessary. I don't want a rigidity to set in such that it becomes out of date - that is also why I would like to see a fresh such thread for each SoFA.

Finally, as in the pre-cursor thread I've set up in the Elections Forum, parties (and other groups) are given the chance to set out (very basically) where they stand to potential new members. Parties and other such organisations have suffered in recent times and any moves to increase an active membership there should be welcomed.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and field them.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »

I offer the following amendment to section 3 regarding parties (remove the stricken text):

I don't have any difficulty with this amendment. Indeed, I've allowed positngs from minor parties in the other thread as it is.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »

A quick amendment to change Sectretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) to Department of Forum Affairs (DoFA).  Sorry to sound like a jerk but I think it's a necessary correction that needs to be made in case we go back to having Deputy Sec. of Forum Affairs
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »

I would like it recorded that if I am unavailable for the final vote I wish my vote to be counted as "Aye" for this bill
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »

A quick amendment to change Sectretary of Forum Affairs (SoFA) to Department of Forum Affairs (DoFA).  Sorry to sound like a jerk but I think it's a necessary correction that needs to be made in case we go back to having Deputy Sec. of Forum Affairs

Given the terms of the Deputy SoFA Act, I don't see where any problem could arise which would require this proposed amendment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »

Given the terms of the Deputy SoFA Act, I don't see where any problem could arise which would require this proposed amendment.

Not required I was simply doing it as a terms of clarification, but after reading the act I withdraw my amendment
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

A vote will now open on BrandonH's amendment.
Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the following:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:53:10 PM »

Aye.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 10:23:48 PM »

Another Amendment:
Insert the underlined text:

Registration
To join Atlasia, you must register in the Registration Thread. Simple state your name; preferred state of residence; and the party you wish to register with. You may register in anyone of the 50 real life states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. You can register at any time, however there are rules in place limiting rights to vote to those who have reached a total post count on the forum of 50; have posted more than 25 times in the previous 8 weeks; and have registered more than 10 days prior to the election. You may only change your state of registration every 60 days but you may change your party at anytime.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 03:02:41 AM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »

Another Amendment:

Registration
To join Atlasia, you must register in the Registration Thread. Simple state your name; preferred state of residence; and the party you wish to register with. You may register in anyone of the 50 real life states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. You can register at any time, however there are rules in place limiting rights to vote to those who have reached a total post count on the forum of 50; have posted more than 25 times in the previous 8 weeks; and have registered more than 10 days prior to the election. You may only change your state of registration every 60 days but you may change your party at anytime.

Also, a valid and important point.
I'd recommend to the sponsor (Ebowed) to motion to accept this as a friendly amendment.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2007, 02:41:11 PM by Jas »

Current Tally on BrandonH's 1st Amendment
Aye: 3 (Brandon; Sam; Ebowed)
Nay: 1 (Phil)
Abstain: 0
Absent: 1 (DWTL)
Yet to Vote: 3 (Al; Lewis; Rob)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier if the power to write the introduction thread was given to the SoFA, with the Senate having oversight?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier if the power to write the introduction thread was given to the SoFA, with the Senate having oversight?

In the short run, yes. In the long run, a statute setting out the fundamentals of what ought to be stated and how often it should be renewed while allowing the SoFA latitude to amend it as per circumstances may end up being simpler. The bill is relatively straight-forward as it is (IMO).

Given the stage we're at, I don't think that a change in form to the way you describe would necessarily be any easier.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »

Another Amendment:

Registration

I'd recommend to the sponsor (Ebowed) to motion to accept this as a friendly amendment.

So accepted.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

Another Amendment:

Registration

So accepted.

Senators have 24 hours to object to the adoption of this amendment as a friendly amendment.

Voting remains open on BrandonH's 1st Amendment.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 08:49:15 AM »

BrandonH's 2nd amendment has been adopted as a friendly amendment.

Voting remains open on BrandonH's 1st Amendment. (see above for text)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

bumping.  There is only 1 more day to vote on this amendment (barring injunction) and many people who haven't voted.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 07:28:54 AM »

With 3 votes in favor, 1 vote against, 4 not voting, 1 seat absent and 1 seat vacant, the amendment has passed.

I'm leaving 24 hours open for any more debate or amendments to be posted.  If there is none, I will start a vote on final passage after that time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »

Oh well... would have voted nay on that.

Registration
To join Atlasia, you must register in the Registration Thread. Simple state your name; preferred state of residence; and the party you wish to register with.

Shouldn't that be "simply"? And isn't the stating of a "name" merely an Atlasian tradition, rather than a legal requirement? (Not quite sure on the second bit, but if there is a legal requirement it is a stupid one)

So... bringing an amendment, which probably should be accepted as a friendly amendment, to replace "simple" with "simply" and to strike "your name;".
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies