I came up with an interesting political analogy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I came up with an interesting political analogy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I came up with an interesting political analogy  (Read 1421 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »

So the voters were going out with the Republican party, when the Republican party beat the sh**t out of the voters. The voters finally had enough, and dumped them for the Democratic party. However, unlike the Republican party, the Democratic party is not a real man, and don't know how to stand up for himself. The voters will quickly tire of the Democratic party's indecisiveness and approval seeking, and go back to the abusive Republican party. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

Uh, maybe?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »

Uh, could you be, well, a bit less didactic... just a tad.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »

No, you didn't.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »

Oh, get back to your damn Quantum Computing.

Wink
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »

So the voters were going out with the Republican party, when the Republican party beat the sh**t out of the voters. The voters finally had enough, and dumped them for the Democratic party. However, unlike the Republican party, the Democratic party is not a real man, and don't know how to stand up for himself. The voters will quickly tire of the Democratic party's indecisiveness and approval seeking, and go back to the abusive Republican party. 

So what you're saying is that the US is like an abused spouse, the GOP is like a bunch of charismatic spousal abusers (stay with me or the terrorists will get you), and the dems are a bunch of waffling wimps unable to stand up for their country/woman?

Though there are some glimmers of truth in there (Republicans did exploit 9/11 and fears of terrorism ruthlessly for political gain), a lot of it is so drastically oversimplified that it really doesn't make for a good analogy.

I think it's hard to make analogies because both parties are so different than 20 years ago - the stereotypes have stayed about the same, but the policies have changed radically.  Many of the national democrats are closer to Reagan's legacy (his actions, not his Rhetoric) than most Republicans are.   Though they use the word 'conservative' the national party - especially Bush backers tend to be closer to authoritarianism than conservatism.  The free market only getting lip service while corporatism reigns (no bid contracts are not even close to free market solutions)  Not that we haven't been down similar roads before - the alien and sedition acts, Darbyism in the late 19th century, robber barons, McCarthyism, etc.   As Jefferson pointed out and has historically happened, sanity eventually returns through the efforts and Patriotism (that is love of our countries ideals, rather than mere idolatry of the flag) and the many people who in an open market of information will tend to learn from their mistakes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:55:07 PM »

Could it be like Saddam and Chris in that two part Hell episode of South Park?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »

Well I don't really believe that the average American is a codependent, low self-esteem woman.

I suppose if you do, then this makes sense, but I'm more optimistic than that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »

I came up with another analogy.

There are five American troops pinned down in a cave at Anzio, during World War II. One of them says "what the heck are we doing cowering in this cave? let's go out and fight for our country!" So he picks up his rifle, runs out, and is promptly cut down by a German machine gun. After several hours, another soldier says "we can't stay in here forever. Let's go out and fight for our country!" So he picks up his rifle, runs out, and is promptly cut down. And after several hours the third soldier goes out, then the fourth, and they all befall the same fate.

So finally a lieutenant comes running up from below and tugs urgently at the remain soldier. "What the hell are you doing you cowardly wimpy man! Go out there and stand up for your country you stupid fool!"

The bewlildered soldier replies, "If it didn't work for George McGovern, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis, and John Kerry, why should it work for me?"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »

very good.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 08:29:17 PM »

Maybe the voters will get tired of both parties simultaneously and vote for someone else...anyone else. Geeze after a while even Mickey Mouse starts to look pretty good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies