Hillary Clinton and Whitewater
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:15:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Hillary Clinton and Whitewater
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton and Whitewater  (Read 3375 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »

Do you think the Whitewater scandal will com eto hurt Hillary Clinton's general election chances? What about her other scandals?
Jeter2Yankees

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »

It should hurt her, but it won't.   If your last name is Bush or Clinton, you are automatically given a free pass on everything, no matter how bad it is.
RRB
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:14 PM »

Oh how I long for the day of such simple scandles like whitewater and the days when perverted right wingers were fixated on Bill Clinton's sex life.  Nowadays we have torture, wars for profit on the backs of the tax payers, questionable terroist threats, politcal corruption to the max, a shrinkning middle class, forclosures at an all time high,  debt both personal and national, jobs going overseas due to tax and labor incentives, etc, etc.

All of the above are all the result of conservative policies.  But that's all Ok because for one, they are better Christians, two, chickenhawks are always better at running wars, and by golly, they aren't sissy Democrats........Right?  I thought so. 

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »

Oh how I long for the day of such simple scandles like whitewater and the days when perverted right wingers were fixated on Bill Clinton's sex life.  Nowadays we have torture, wars for profit on the backs of the tax payers, questionable terroist threats, politcal corruption to the max, a shrinkning middle class, forclosures at an all time high,  debt both personal and national, jobs going overseas due to tax and labor incentives, etc, etc.

All of the above are all the result of conservative policies.  But that's all Ok because for one, they are better Christians, two, chickenhawks are always better at running wars, and by golly, they aren't sissy Democrats........Right?  I thought so. 

You must be crazy if you think that Bush and his Republican Congress were conservative.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »

One can only hope
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »

Considering that the Clintons were 100% cleared in that investigation, I don't see how it could or would be an issue.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »

I am sure every one of the golden oldies of anti clinton stuff from the 90s will ge rehashed in the general, but I also imagine that it wont change much. Unless something new is revealed...all that old stuff is kind of factored in to her current numbers
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »

Considering that the Clintons were 100% cleared in that investigation, I don't see how it could or would be an issue.

Stuff like this never goes away though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »

You must be crazy if you think that Bush and his Republican Congress were conservative.

Then Colour me crazy... some people here have a very curious defintion of Conservative, usually meaning "Stuff I like" (If you consider yourself conservative) or "Stuff I don't like" (If you don't).. Though if you're going by shades of conservatism Bush is more in the De Gaulle-Chirac mode of Gaullism than traditional US style conservatism. (Not that I think there is a huge difference, at least in terms of aims.)

Whitewater (and Monicagate) are nothing compared to the last seven years, so only the partizan republicans will make this an issue I imagine.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »

Then Colour me crazy... some people here have a very curious defintion of Conservative, usually meaning "Stuff I like" (If you consider yourself conservative) or "Stuff I don't like" (If you don't).. Though if you're going by shades of conservatism Bush is more in the De Gaulle-Chirac mode of Gaullism than traditional US style conservatism. (Not that I think there is a huge difference, at least in terms of aims.)

Whitewater (and Monicagate) are nothing compared to the last seven years, so only the partizan republicans will make this an issue I imagine.

Well, I can't really consider someone as spendthrift as Bush (and the GOP Congress) to be conservative.
Witiko
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 08:12:33 PM »

Well, I can't really consider someone as spendthrift as Bush (and the GOP Congress) to be conservative.
Then technically Ronald Reagan wasn't a conservative.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »

this is a good point...things like 'travelgate' kind of seem quaint right now
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »

Then technically Ronald Reagan wasn't a conservative.

Then technically there hasn't been a conservative president since.... Calvin Coolidge? Or maybe Grover Cleveland?

Conservatism has very little to do with goverment spending though. At least under the definitions common this side of the pond. (Again remember Chirac was part of the Conservative Party in France..)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »

Then technically there hasn't been a conservative president since.... Calvin Coolidge? Or maybe Grover Cleveland?

Precisely. I can't consider anyone to be a true conservative if they spend money on unnecesary things. That's why I'm surprised that supportin gthr Iraq War is considered "conservative".
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »

Sadly, scandals from Clinton's past won't ruin her chances of becoming President of the United States. Maybe, had she have somehow have run for office in 1994 or 1996, It might have been an issue. As much as I hate Ken Starr, I'd love for him to come back and ruin Hillary's chances of ever becoming President or the Democrats nominee for that matter.
gorkay

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

I'm sure all of that stuff will be brought up again, and it could hurt her, especially if someone digs up something that wasn't known before. That doesn't mean it will keep her from getting elected-- other candidates with questions about their pasts have been elected, including the current President.
wdecker1
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: 1.39

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »

To me, Whitewater is old news from the 1990s.  It should not effect her too much.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »

To me, Whitewater is old news from the 1990s.  It should not effect her too much.

yeah i think the righties milked this one for all it was worth. If anything, it will remind people of a seemingly "simpler" and "happier" time when we could obsess over such trivialities as land deals in Arkansas and whether or not the president lied about recieving oral sex from an intern.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

Sadly, scandals from Clinton's past won't ruin her chances of becoming President of the United States. Maybe, had she have somehow have run for office in 1994 or 1996, It might have been an issue. As much as I hate Ken Starr, I'd love for him to come back and ruin Hillary's chances of ever becoming President or the Democrats nominee for that matter.

Ken Starr never ruined anything for the Clintons before. Bill's highest approval ratings of his entire Presidency was while he was being impeached. The day he was impeached I believe it got up into the 70's.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies