How are David Cameron's chances?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:51:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How are David Cameron's chances?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How are David Cameron's chances?  (Read 986 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

He seems like a youthful conservative who might have a chance to bring the Conservative Party back in U.K.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »

Naso, do you even have any idea about British politics? What the hell do you mean "how are David Cameron's chances?" You do know this isn't like the Presidency in the U.S. David Cameron doesn't stand for election in all of the U.K. And what brings this up anyway? You never talk about British politics.

This is randomly weird even for yourself.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:59:09 PM »

Naso, do you even have any idea about British politics? What the hell do you mean "how are David Cameron's chances?" You do know this isn't like the Presidency in the U.S. David Cameron doesn't stand for election in all of the U.K. And what brings this up anyway? You never talk about British politics.

This is randomly weird even for yourself.

I know that Phil. Over there, they use a political party's power and seats to gauge a victor. The Labour Party won in 1997, 2001 and 2005...thus Tony Blair. I mean in general...does the Conservative Party along with Cameron have a shot?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:01:22 PM »

If Cameron becomes PM then it will be confirmed without a shadow of doubt that admen and media marketeers truly run this planet.

(P.S: He wrote alot of that oh-so-liberal-document: the 2005 conservative party manifesto. So clearly privatizing the NHS and letting the darkies in are not issues with him.......

He has a chance clearly, more so than Hague, IDS *snorts* and Howard ever did. Perhaps because some suburban idiots like Cameron because he's OOOOOohhh Shiny and slick and brand new or perhaps because labour is just boring. Either way actual politics has nothing really to do with it.)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »

If Cameron becomes PM then it will be confirmed without a shadow of doubt that admen and media marketeers truly run this planet.

(P.S: He wrote alot of that oh-so-liberal-document: the 2005 conservative party manifesto. So clearly privatizing the NHS and letting the darkies in are not issues with him.......

He has a chance clearly, more so than Hague, IDS *snorts* and Howard ever did. Perhaps because some suburban idiots like Cameron because he's OOOOOohhh Shiny and slick and brand new or perhaps because labour is just boring. Either way actual politics has nothing really to do with it.)

Personally I object to that. People have legitimate reasons for voting for Cameron/Conservatives. I'm not a suburban idiot.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:32:58 AM »

Maybe. I think it more likely that Cameron will stumble and Hague will be called back to replace him. My understanding is that many Conservatives feel that Hague became leader at the wrong time, and I think he'd stand a better chance at beating Brown than Cameron does. While Cameron's "appearance over substance" strategy worked fine when the country was mostly just tired of Blair, I think Cameron will just start looking like a shallow idiot in comparison to Brown.

Or I could be completely wrong. I thought Ming Campbell would help bring much-needed gravitas to the Lib Dems; then again, I'd only heard him speak two or three times via CSPAN.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:33 AM »

Maybe. I think it more likely that Cameron will stumble and Hague will be called back to replace him. My understanding is that many Conservatives feel that Hague became leader at the wrong time, and I think he'd stand a better chance at beating Brown than Cameron does. While Cameron's "appearance over substance" strategy worked fine when the country was mostly just tired of Blair, I think Cameron will just start looking like a shallow idiot in comparison to Brown.

Or I could be completely wrong. I thought Ming Campbell would help bring much-needed gravitas to the Lib Dems; then again, I'd only heard him speak two or three times via CSPAN.

HEAR HEAR!  While I'd be delighted to see Cameron triumph, my heart and head have always pulled for Hague to resurface, while he's not as pretty as Cameron he's a man of will, conviction, and a debate matser that is born and bred (literally) from a young age to lead the party.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:10:31 AM »

HEAR HEAR!  While I'd be delighted to see Cameron triumph, my heart and head have always pulled for Hague to resurface, while he's not as pretty as Cameron he's a man of will, conviction, and a debate matser that is born and bred (literally) from a young age to lead the party.

I remember Hague. That's when I first started watching PM Questions. I always liked him though Iain Duncan Smith will always be my favorite.  Smiley  What are the chances of his return to leadership?  Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:56:07 AM »

Personally I object to that. People have legitimate reasons for voting for Cameron/Conservatives. I'm not a suburban idiot.

No offense intended Afleitch, one thing you should learn about my posts is never to take them on face value...

I still think Cameron is a dolt mind. Not that I have anything against you.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:35 AM »

Well I knew you were'nt being 100% serious - still I have to stand up for my party on here. Very few others do Grin

I think Cameron's appeal is still misunderstood. He is a 'media' politician, just like Blair and so to is Gordon Brown, he chooses to project a different image and persona, but a manipulated image none the less.

Cameron talks about issues that other Conservative leaders did not. He talks about issues that Labour don't talk about anymore and these are often core issues. When was the last time Labour talked about youth unemployment and the New Deal? Not since the figures began to go askew and youth unemployment rose to a higher level than they inherited. David Cameron does; he is taking the battle to Labour territory as Brown concentrates on 'Britishness' and terror and the Daily Mail set. How succesful this is will take time and how robust it is will have to be tested.

Blair and Brown (Brown especially) speak on Thatcherite terms and respond in kind. Cameron does not; he is the first post-Thatcherite Conservative leader at a time when Brown is still quietly in awe of her.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »

Brown mentioned the New Deal at PMQs yesterday.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies