Anti-Semitism in Europe (2007 survey)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:01:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-Semitism in Europe (2007 survey)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Semitism in Europe (2007 survey)  (Read 2727 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:31:03 AM »

Beware; it's a pdf

I felt depressed after reading through the above, and I thought that you should all have a chance to share this feeling!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

Not surprising that Hungary is the highest (given that it's only the country in Eastern Europe.. though you would think with their history... )

Anyway some of that is really rather depressing stuff. My Opinion of Switzerland especially has gone down a bit with that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »

I'd assume most countries in Europe would unfortunatly be around that high.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »

Europe hates Jews, film at 11.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »

They should have included Germany in those polls as I wonder if the German track record regarding Jews still holds true? Anyways they did Austria and I'm quite surprised given the fact that Austria was a part of the Third Reich that anit-semitism still exists there in a more pronounced form,however this is most likely the extreme left wing of anti-semitism that is very present in Europe today. With Easern Europe it's more of the old fashioned anti-semitism.  
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »

What doesn't help is the usual mouthpieces insisting that those responsible tend to be low life skin head neo-nazis, not university lecturers, Muslim community leaders and the ordinary man on the street.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:52:20 PM »

Yawn. This is simply another sign of the decline of PC and Europe returning to its roots..
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:24:53 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2007, 04:47:45 AM by Rock Strongo (aka Lance Uppercut) »

Anyways they did Austria and I'm quite surprised given the fact that Austria was a part of the Third Reich that anit-semitism still exists there in a more pronounced form,however this is most likely the extreme left wing of anti-semitism that is very present in Europe today.

Ever heard of the FPÖ? Cheesy

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »

Anyways they did Austria and I'm quite surprised given the fact that Austria was a part of the Third Reich that anit-semitism still exists there in a more pronounced form,however this is most likely the extreme left wing of anti-semitism that is very present in Europe today.

Ever heard of the FPÖ? Cheesy

Can't forget the BZO as well and Jorg Haider, the man most responsible for open neo-Nazism in the FPO.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:19 PM »

You just need to see Borat to figure out that many people in the States think this way too.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »

What doesn't help is the usual mouthpieces insisting that those responsible tend to be low life skin head neo-nazis, not university lecturers, Muslim community leaders and the ordinary man on the street.

Couldn't it be any of those (to differing degrees)?

You forgot to put conspiracy theorists..
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:34:17 PM »

You just need to see Borat to figure out that many people in the States think this way too.

Throw the Jew down the well, so my country can be free...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 03:39:34 AM »

Not surprising that Hungary is the highest (given that it's only the country in Eastern Europe.. though you would think with their history... )

Anyway some of that is really rather depressing stuff. My Opinion of Switzerland especially has gone down a bit with that.

The Swiss hate all foreigners, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they hate Jews.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »

I agree, fot the most part, but I do think that it is more of a joke over here.  I don't know too many people who have an honest burning hatred of Jews.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:07:40 PM »

The Swiss hate all foreigners, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they hate Jews.

Except the Swiss people I know.. and many family members who travel there regularly.. (though I've never been myself...)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 05:08:32 AM »

Well, this poll was about the opinion regarding the Jewish population in the own country (in this case Swiss Jews), not "foreign" Jews. Or did you try to say that the average Swiss is so anti-Semtic that he doesn't consider Jews as citizens of Switzerland?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 11:26:27 AM by useful idiot »

The difference is that the people in the U.S. that think that way ARE skinheads, militia types, the fringes of society, etc etc. Europe is hit on two fronts: the culture of anti-semetism that exists amongst university professors, journalists, and intellectuals, and the Muslim community, who have an inordinate amount of influence and power. It allows anti-semetic ideas to seep into the wider culture.

Question 8 is the one that shocked me, but gave me hope in a slight way. It shows that people really don't know how hellish life is for most Continental European Jews, which I suppose is better than knowing and not doing anything about it.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 01:13:27 PM »

Who cares? WWII was 60 years ago. Get over it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 04:42:15 PM by Rock Strongo (aka Lance Uppercut) »

Question 8 is the one that shocked me, but gave me hope in a slight way. It shows that people really don't know how hellish life is for most Continental European Jews, which I suppose is better than knowing and not doing anything about it.

Huh? Question 8 ("Do you think your government is doing enough to ensure the safety and security of its Jewish citizens?") is actually one of the few statements I would agree with.

The fact that there's always a policeman posted in front of that large synagogue in Berlin may be sad, but it shows that the government is doing everything possible to protect Jewish citizens.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

Huh? Question 8 ("Do you think your government is doing enough to ensure the safety and security of its Jewish citizens?") is actually one of the few statements I would agree with.

The fact that there's always a policeman posted in front of that large synagogue in Berlin might be sad, but it shows that the government is doing everything possible to protect Jewish citizens.

Germany is an exception to that rule, I was actually thinking about putting a qualifier in my earlier statement. The other nations surveyed however, especially Holland, are doing very little to protect Jews from Muslims. France is by far the worst, but it wasn't included in this survey.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »

The difference is that the people in the U.S. that think that way ARE skinheads, militia types, the fringes of society, etc etc. Europe is hit on two fronts: the culture of anti-semetism that exists amongst university professors, journalists, and intellectuals, and the Muslim community, who have an inordinate amount of influence and power. It allows anti-semetic ideas to seep into the wider culture.

A closer answer would say "The problem is the culture where most anti-semitism is disguised as criticism of Israel, when rebuffed as anti-semite claptrap, these (usually) pseudo-leftists reply "OMG all criticism of Israel does not equal anti semitism" as of course no one wants to be labelled as an anti-semite, even if you do believe that a cabal of jews is running US foreign policy for example (an opinion not too uncommon over here, sadly)"
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 04:59:39 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 05:01:58 PM by Rock Strongo (aka Lance Uppercut) »

Germany is an exception to that rule, I was actually thinking about putting a qualifier in my earlier statement. The other nations surveyed however, especially Holland, are doing very little to protect Jews from Muslims. France is by far the worst, but it wasn't included in this survey.

Those aren't always Muslims. For example, when the cornerstone for the new synagogue in Munich was laid a few years ago a militant neo-Nazi group planned to commit a bomb attack during the ceremony. Fortunately, the plot was uncovered in time by the police... this could have become ugly, especially because then-President Johannes Rau was also scheduled to attend the ceremony.

I guess you could consider it great luck that most neo-Nazis have the will, but lack the intelligence to succesfully carry out a terrorist attack (so far).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies