Drinking Age
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Drinking Age
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Drinking Age  (Read 12166 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »

^We could do that, if not for the fascist 14th amendment.

The only free thing left in this country is the market. And one of the political parties is already working on 'fixing' that.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2004, 09:25:09 PM »

I think is should be lowered to 18! no Question. If they can die in war then they should be able to drink a beer!
visioncat
Rookie

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2004, 03:57:51 AM »

It's bad enough that you can die for your country in a war and be unable to drink, but consider this:

In all the states with the death penalty you can be legally killed by the state for your actions before you're legally allowed to drink a beer.

Surely even the most ardent fans of state sanctioned murder can see a 'responsibility gap' here?

So what's it to be?  Accept this ridiculous disparity or lower the drinking age to 16/17/18 or up death penalty eligibility age to 21? (if you're not going to do the civilized thing and scrap the death penalty altogether)

What does everyone think?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2004, 09:42:53 PM »

I see absolutely no connection between being responsible enough not to murder someone and being responsible enough to drink.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2004, 12:14:20 AM »

Remember that there is no national restriction on drinking under the age of 21. There is a restriction on getting Federal highway funds for any state without a drinking age of 21. Any state that wishes to forego its share of Federal highway money may do so.

Seriously, the probelm revolves around drinking, driving, and high school. States with drinking ages of 18 and even 19 had problems with high school drinking and driving. A solution to those problems would take the most important steps to a revised drinking age.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2004, 05:08:35 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2004, 06:20:11 PM by Lunar »

Remember that there is no national restriction on drinking under the age of 21. There is a restriction on getting Federal highway funds for any state without a drinking age of 21. Any state that wishes to forego its share of Federal highway money may do so.

Does Rhode Island get much money from Federal highway funds?  I'd love to see Rhode Island become "Rogue Island" again.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »

Does Rhode Island get much money from Federal highway funds?  I'd love eto see Rhode Island become "Rogue Island" again.
That would drive MA and CT crazy.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2004, 12:55:24 PM »

I think there should be no drinking age. If you look at countries who don't have drinking age most people (teens) don't drink. I think that is because they only want to do what they can't do.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2004, 01:11:13 PM »

I think there should be no drinking age. If you look at countries who don't have drinking age most people (teens) don't drink. I think that is because they only want to do what they can't do.

I remember having a very strong debate with you on this subject, I believe you wanted the drinking age to be raised even higher...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2004, 01:54:27 PM »

I remember having a very strong debate with you on this subject, I believe you wanted the drinking age to be raised even higher...

He's re-inventing himself...again.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2004, 02:12:22 PM »

I did, but then  after looking at France they have no drinking age and look at them. They do not have drunk drivers, they have no problem with it at all. That is because they are uses to it and there for they body can take the drinking they do, unlike here in America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2004, 02:20:53 PM »

I did, but then  after looking at France they have no drinking age and look at them. They do not have drunk drivers, they have no problem with it at all. That is because they are uses to it and there for they body can take the drinking they do, unlike here in America.

That post made no sense. No drunk drivers in France? No problems with it? First of all there are never "no problems" with alcohol. People will get drunk, people will get into accidents. That happens everywhere.

Also, the French and other Europeans are used to drinking at younger ages, I agree. However, that could be the main point for not lowering the age in the U.S. Drinking is part of their culture. They are more responsible drinkers. Then you say Americans can't take the drinking at a younger age. Well...why would you want it lowered? It just doesn't make sense.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2004, 02:50:57 PM »

That post made no sense. No drunk drivers in France? No problems with it? First of all there are never "no problems" with alcohol. People will get drunk, people will get into accidents. That happens everywhere.

Also, the French and other Europeans are used to drinking at younger ages, I agree. However, that could be the main point for not lowering the age in the U.S. Drinking is part of their culture. They are more responsible drinkers. Then you say Americans can't take the drinking at a younger age. Well...why would you want it lowered? It just doesn't make sense.

Our bodies can't take it right now but our kids could.
Red Button
Rookie

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2004, 02:56:59 PM »

Abolish the drinking age.  Look at Europe.  Their kids do not have nearly the drinking problems that we do.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2004, 10:02:36 PM »

I think they should raise it to 25 for guys and lower it to 17 for girls.   The bar scene would be a lot more interesting.

There would be lawsuits flying around like crazy then.  I think the age should be 18, no lower.   
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »

Abolish the drinking age.  Look at Europe.  Their kids do not have nearly the drinking problems that we do.

You ever been to a European drinking party?

I would say it's about the same in Europe from my experiences.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2004, 09:41:06 AM »

From my experience, Euorpeans go out to the pub more but get drunk less.  Maybe drunk is not the word but Americans tend to get more dangerously drunk.  Many American teens are sheltered from the drink and when they get to college they nearly kill themselves. 
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2004, 12:22:29 PM »

In the Netherlands it is 16 for beer and wine, and other low-alcoholic drinks. 18 for drinks with higher percentages.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2006, 11:27:12 PM »

I've always found it insulting that the government has the audacity to ban legal adults from consuming whatever beverage they choose.  This issue will never go anywhere though.  College students don't hold that much political power.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2006, 11:43:39 PM »

I also think that having such an old age for legal drinking just makes it forbidden fruit.  I never enjoyed drinking so much once I became legal as I did when I was doing it illegally -- using fake ID, sneaking, etc.  That's a big part of the fun of it.

You really must have enjoyed drinking.

In all seriousness...I totally agree. The rush from drinking is gone.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2006, 12:06:42 AM »

If you can go out and die for your country at 18, you should be able to sit down and have a beer with your fellow soldiers at 18.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2006, 12:00:49 PM »

In light of the thread on teen curfews, I thought this one might be a good one to refresh...

I don't know what I wrote before, but I'm pretty 'liberal' on drinking age.  I think a person old enough to vote and serve in the military ought to be old enough to drink.

I heard it suggested once, half jokingly, that we Americans have the order of things backwards.  We allow driving first and drinking last, and maybe we ought to reverse it.

I also think that having such an old age for legal drinking just makes it forbidden fruit.  I never enjoyed drinking so much once I became legal as I did when I was doing it illegally -- using fake ID, sneaking, etc.  That's a big part of the fun of it.

Good point. I do also think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. If you can vote and go to war, you oughta be able to drink.

Of course, politically, there is no incentive to lower the age, since most older people support keeping it higher, and they vote far moreso than 18-20 year olds who would benefit from lowering it do. By the time most of the younger folks get old enough to really start caring about voting, they are old enough to drink, and don't care enough about the issue anymore (or may even reverse their position).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »

I agree with dazzleman, as usual.  Once we take away the thrill, we take away the overuse of alcohol by teens.  The problem is, if we lower it to 18, 16-year-olds and such will still go crazy.  I don't think there is a need for a drinking age, the government doesn't need to play parent here.

I definitely don't think anyone under 18 should be permitted to purchase alcohol, but if your parents allow you to drink, that should be their business, I agree.

And I do think we should crack down severely on drunk driving, also.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »

Abolish the drinking age.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2006, 02:07:07 PM »

If you can go out and die for your country at 18, you should be able to sit down and have a beer with your fellow soldiers at 18.

Well said.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies