Drinking Age (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:34:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Drinking Age (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Drinking Age  (Read 12209 times)
raggage

« on: July 22, 2004, 06:57:35 AM »

I'd be interested to know your opinions on this. I think we've had a thread on this before, but I could't find it.

From my background, option 4 is for me. Not only would that be incredibly stupid to lower, in my opinion it would be a huge factor in an increasing road toll.

In my wife's homeland for example - the drinking age is 18, like in Mexico. The police there are having huge problems with drunken youths aged 14-17 who are able to procure alchohol from their 18 year old friends.

Not that this doesn't happen to some extent in the U.S, but a move like this would worsen it... Agree?
raggage

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 07:30:29 PM »

I can't believe you all think it should be lowered. When you are assigned to respond to a drink driving accident when a drunk 17 year old killed himself and 4 other people, and you have to notify the parents I think you'll change your mind.

Case and point. 18 year olds are NOT mature enough for alcohol.
raggage

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:08:38 PM »

I can't believe you all think it should be lowered. When you are assigned to respond to a drink driving accident when a drunk 17 year old killed himself and 4 other people, and you have to notify the parents I think you'll change your mind.

I have never driven any night after I have been drinking, and that includes when I was 18. So what did I do wrong?

Usually when I go to parties I'll walk to the party, and call a taxi or get a ride from someone else if I can't walk back. I'll probably still do that in 4 months when I'm 21.

Well congratulations, honestly and sincerly. But most 18 year olds as traffic records will indicate do not display this level of maturity, at least not over the whole age group. In the eyes of someone in career law-enforcement, it would be a terrible idea.
raggage

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 02:19:14 AM »

Raggage,

You've been a cop too long...think about it...they are not mature enough to drink, but they are mature enough to vote for the people who make the rules on who is mature enough to drink...think about it...

Perhaps yes, but the problem remains, the younger the age the more likely people under that age are going to have access to it.    Younger teens have a lot more contact with those aged 18 than those aged 21. If it is lowered, I think we are just asking for more instances of teen drunkeness and fatal crashes.
raggage

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 04:16:23 AM »

I Think 18 is a good age for it to be at you can vote at that age, your're legally an adult, you can go fight in wars, so why not drink, and I also think this should be a state thing though.

I still think we are just inviting more road deaths and underage abuse of alcohol though..

Welcome to the forum, none-the-less
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies