The Hill: Money pours into the Colorado Senate race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Money pours into the Colorado Senate race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Money pours into the Colorado Senate race  (Read 1538 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:45 PM »

By Sam Youngman
July 18, 2007

Colorado GOP Chairman Dick Wadhams says rumors of the state party’s demise are greatly exaggerated.

In fact, he told The Hill that the theory is “nuts.”

Wadhams inherited a reeling state party when he took over as chairman earlier this year, but yesterday said former Rep. Bob Schaffer’s (R) second-quarter fundraising haul is proof that Republicans are very much in play.

Schaffer, who is running for retiring Sen. Wayne Allard’s (R) seat, raised about $717,000 in six weeks, having declared to run only in mid-May.

Though he still trails Rep. Mark Udall (D), who raised $1.1 million in the quarter, Wadhams said the money proves that Schaffer is “for real.”

“I don’t think anyone could deny that $717,000 in six weeks is a phenomenal showing,” Wadhams said. “Simple math tells me Bob Schaffer had a better quarter than Mark Udall.”

Wadhams, most recently known for managing former Sen. George Allen’s (R-Va.) disastrous reelection campaign in 2006, said he took delight in seeing “liberal bloggers” changing their stories after most predicted Schaffer wouldn’t be able to raise $500,000.

“Amazingly, they were sucking air,” he said. “Well, my liberal friends, guess what? Mark Udall had an entire quarter to raise $1.1 million.”

Wadhams said state Democrats have been displaying a “sense of real cockiness and overconfidence” after winning a Senate seat and picking up two House seats in the last two elections, and taking the governorship following a divisive Republican primary.

He says such confidence is misplaced.

“The whole sense that Colorado is going Democratic is nuts,” Wadhams said. “Mark Udall does not know what’s coming after him.”

Udall’s campaign manager, Mike Melanson, certainly didn’t convey the sense that Udall thinks the race is over.

“We view Bob as a very strong candidate,” Melanson said during a brief interview with The Hill, adding that he doesn’t necessarily agree “the state is going blue.”

Melanson said that Schaffer’s fundraising report makes clear that the former congressman was “accessing the low-hanging fruit that’s out there.”

“He’s the darling of the ultra-conservative wing of his party,” Melanson said. He added that the conservative, anti-tax group Club for Growth has been fundraising on Schaffer’s behalf.

Melanson said it is tough to say what the third-quarter numbers might look like, but the “real test” for Schaffer will be avoiding the appearance that the second quarter was “an anomaly.”

Melanson said traditionally, it is easier for Republicans in the state to raise more money than Democrats because “they have more people with deeper pockets.”

Reaching into those pockets is an old ally of Wadhams’s.

Schaffer’s finance director, Janel Domenico, worked with Wadhams last year in Virginia and in South Dakota in 2004, when Sen. John Thune (R) broke fundraising records in his successful bid to unseat former Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D). She also raised money for Allard in 2002.

“I think she is the best fundraiser in the nation right now,” Wadhams said.

And because Schaffer was able to avoid a primary against former Rep. Scott McInnis — something Wadhams insists he had no part of — state party leaders have been “coalescing” around Schaffer’s candidacy.

Former Gov. Jim Owens (R) and Allard already have been supporting Schaffer, Wadhams said.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/money-pours-into-the-colorado-senate-race-2007-07-18.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »

6 weeks compared to 3 months?  Not quite.  Schaffer got it on may 9th, Udall April 16th.  So that was about a 3 week difference between when they two of them got in, not 6.  Schaffer averaged $96,519.24 a week Udall $102,66.66 a week.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »

Don't atagonize Rawlings!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:30:46 PM »

6 weeks compared to 3 months?  Not quite.  Schaffer got it on may 9th, Udall April 16th.  So that was about a 3 week difference between when they two of them got in, not 6.  Schaffer averaged $96,519.24 a week Udall $102,66.66 a week.

Well, in my book, that's not a significant difference.  I stand by what I said in the other thread - Rawlings should be entertaining.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:22:51 PM »

Well, in my book, that's not a significant difference.  I stand by what I said in the other thread - Rawlings should be entertaining.
Well its fun to see if Schaffer can sustain. It would be funny to watch Rawlings.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »

I know that, I stated that because some Republicans including Rawlings have tried to state that Schaffer averaged more per week than Udall and that simply isn't true.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »

Wadhams said state Democrats have been displaying a “sense of real cockiness and overconfidence” after winning a Senate seat and picking up two House seats in the last two elections, and taking the governorship following a divisive Republican primary.

It doesn't mean Colorado's a Democratic Lock...by any means.

But if you can't be cocky or confident about this...what CAN you be confident about?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

I  mean, there is a definite advantage, but the dems can still blow it by all means.
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 5.22

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »

Good Lord, dude!  You simply have no idea what you're talking about....

Schaffer ANNOUNCED on May 9th.  He filed a week later.  The quarter ended June 30, he got in May 15.  That's 6 weeks out of the twelve weeks in the quarter. 
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 5.22

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »

It doesn't mean Colorado's a Democratic Lock...by any means.

But if you can't be cocky or confident about this...what CAN you be confident about?

Democrats HAVE to be confident about Colorado.  They're staking their political future on the west turning blue.  They're having their convention in Denver.  I'm just amused by it...that's all.

And the confidence from the Dems you see on The Forum is nothing like what you see from Democrats in Colorado.  The blue Kool Aid is flowing in over-abundance.  They just went ahead and dumped buckets of it into Boulder Creek and it's not unusual to see guys in dreadlocks and Birkenstocks just kneeling by and drinking up.  But, then again, it's not unusual to see people doing that in Boulder anyway....

The problem is that they're not over their Election Night hangover from last year.  Somebody spiked the Kool Aid with something quite nasty.  What has happened in less than a year is that Dick Wadhams, who has never lost a race in Colorado, has become party chair.  He fielded a VERY likeable, powerful candidate in Bob Schaffer.  And he has fended away any primary.  So you have a major brain running the state party, a united party going into '08, hungry donors and base voters, and an opponent who is vastly more liberal than any Democrat who has won here in years.

You know, you'll have to excuse me if I'm a little giddy about this one.  =)

Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »

I must admit though, your claims that Romney will break 60% in Colorado is laughable.

I personally think that Colorado will stay Republican next year, but it bloody well won't be with 60%. That's only happened twice in the last 12 elections (and the Republicans boasted 49 state landslides in both).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies