bad president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  bad president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: bad president?  (Read 6834 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:22:51 AM »

continuation from another thread:

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.
You've gotta remember, M&C is a super libertarian so a guy who does nothing and allows people to do whatever they want while not trying to stop them is their perfect guy.

I do realize Harding wasn't the best president we've had, but definitely not the worst.  Main thing I don't like about him is that he drank alcohol in the White House.  This isn't about Harding though, it's about Masterjedi's comment.

"I'm a super libertarian" so he thinks that automatically discredits my opinions.  Why?  I dunno.

Why is having a passive president a bad thing?  The Articles of Confederation point out to the fact that the Executive branch has the most actual power, but very little times when the President can use it.  Even that aside, what's wrong with letting people live how they want to live?  We have to stop people!! Their dangerous!  Roll Eyes  Not really going further than that...  Worst post from a "regular" I've seen in a long time.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:36:05 AM »

I'll admit Harding does get a bit of a worse rap than he deserves. He wasn't directly responsible for most of the scandals in his admin. He also did some good things, he pardoned Eugene Debs, and was probably the best President on racial issues up until that point. He strongly opposed the Klan and during the campaign gave a speech against lynching.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »

Yeah, Harding seems to be much better than Silent Cal AND seemed to do a good job with NOT oppresing the american people. He seems the be an early 20th century ACLU GOPer...though I don't know what his role in starting prohibition was.  I just remember the post-war period by its far-right kangaroo courts that we are only one justice away from getting ourselves.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »

I think the knock on Harding is that (1) he could have accomplished more, and (2) his administration was rife with corruption.

Silent Cal was definitely worse.  His attack on veterans being one of the most disgusting moves by a President since the "Trail of Tears".
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »

I think the knock on Harding is that (1) he could have accomplished more, and (2) his administration was rife with corruption.

Silent Cal was definitely worse.  His attack on veterans being one of the most disgusting moves by a President since the "Trail of Tears".

Pardon me maybe I'm confused but aren't you confusing Coolidge with Hoover? Unless there is some hole in my historical knowledge.

What McKinley did in the Philiippines and Cuba was far, far worse.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:28:27 AM »

From the other thread:

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.

Come on, now! That guy was incompetant.

how so?

He appointed corrupt officials, was completely ignorant of several significant scandals in his administration, and was generally overwhelmed by his presidential responsibilities. In his own words, "I am not fit for this office and never should have been here."
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »

From the other thread:

Come on, now! That guy was incompetant.

how so?

He appointed corrupt officials, was completely ignorant of several significant scandals in his administration, and was generally overwhelmed by his presidential responsibilities. In his own words, "I am not fit for this office and never should have been here."

Your point is more valid that Masterjedi's, although I still disagree with some parts.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »

Faster than a legally fired bullet.
More powerful than railroaded legislation.
Able to leap giant bureaucracy in a single bound.

It's an anarchist.  It's a free marketer.

It's... It's...        Super Libertarian
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:50:54 AM »

Woodrow Wilson wins the golden toilet award of Epic Failure for getting us into WWI, prohibition, delaying civil rights by 20 years. Far more than Coolidge.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »

Don't like Wilson, but he did oppose prohibition.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »

James, I love that quote, I'll use it in my sig Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies