Barack Obama is doomed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:49:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Barack Obama is doomed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Barack Obama is doomed  (Read 6385 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 04:26:29 PM »

she obviously loves the lord.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »

As for the topic, it's stupid yes, but it brings up a good point. I don't think Obama will play well in middle America. He just came out in favor of sex ed for Kindergartners. I don't have a probelm with this, but I can't imagine that's going to play well to families in this country. I think Hillary will portray herself as possesing "heartland values" and will win the nomination and likely the presidency.

People in middle America aren't mostly anti-Harry Potter nutjobs, and I think it's safe to say that people who would not vote for Obama on the basis of being a Harry Potter fan aren't going to be voting for any Democrat.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:46 PM »

As for the topic, it's stupid yes, but it brings up a good point. I don't think Obama will play well in middle America. He just came out in favor of sex ed for Kindergartners. I don't have a probelm with this, but I can't imagine that's going to play well to families in this country. I think Hillary will portray herself as possesing "heartland values" and will win the nomination and likely the presidency.

People in middle America aren't mostly anti-Harry Potter nutjobs, and I think it's safe to say that people who would not vote for Obama on the basis of being a Harry Potter fan aren't going to be voting for any Democrat.

You seem to have missed his point... but it's not the Midwest that gets upset over mentions of sex (at least, not the parts of the Midwest that consider voting for Democrats). It's the suburbs, especially newly developed sprawling suburbs in places like Florida, Georgia, and California. (None of those states are particularly likely to be relevant in the general election, but that's not so important.)
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »

You seem to have missed his point... but it's not the Midwest that gets upset over mentions of sex (at least, not the parts of the Midwest that consider voting for Democrats). It's the suburbs, especially newly developed sprawling suburbs in places like Florida, Georgia, and California. (None of those states are particularly likely to be relevant in the general election, but that's not so important.)

Indeed. Sorry for any confusion I caused, I’m sure I can be confusing at times, ha ha. Let me clarify my general point a bit. Harry Potter's not going to be an issue in the campaign, however, some of his progressive social views may be. Obama gets the nomination. The Republicans then trash him, claming he favorers things like sex ed for kindergartners. Granted, he likely does not want anything more then basic instruction on how bodies work for kids that young, but will the American public care? Many socially conservative but economically liberal people would be respective to Obama’s campaign until they heard he favors things like sex education, but upon hearing he supports it, would move back over to the republican party. So my point’s basically that by nominating Obama, we could have a repeat of 2004, when “moral values” overshadowed everything else. Not likely, given the decorating situation in Iraq, but possible.

So yeah, I was not really talking about the Harry Potter story, which won't have any effect at all. I'm talking more about how some of his social views could cost him with swing voters. But I should have started a new topic on it, rather then posting in this one. My apologies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2007, 08:24:17 PM »

Naso, you should go to Compton and start your whole "black people are ruining our culture, let's go back to the 80s" argument backed up by "it's ok! I voted for a black guy!"
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2007, 08:51:07 PM »

I voted for an African American man last November.

Actually, you voted for a well-known brand of cookie.

Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

For some reason this video reminds me of Naso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbMfvWNRmFY
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:24 PM »

NO! NO! NO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sK3AqFYAWQ
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »

Cauz if you ain't no liberal Dem workin' for the 'hood, yo skin color is def not black.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 11:50:11 PM »

Cauz if you ain't no liberal Dem workin' for the 'hood, yo skin color is def not black.

Really, unless you're from the cast of "Roots" you ain't black.

Yes, I kick ass in that music video.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 02:13:02 AM »

I voted for an African American man last November. It's simple. He's inexperienced and liberal.

And you have also stated that you have a problem with inter-racial relationships.  It seems like that he was a product of an inter-racial relationship is part of your problem with him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2007, 02:27:21 AM »

Obama will probably run a point or so lower than he polls because of racists who lie in polls, but that's hardly enough to doom his chances.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:05 AM »

Obama will probably run a point or so lower than he polls because of racists who lie in polls, but that's hardly enough to doom his chances.

Right, only 61 million people may vote against him.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2007, 03:54:48 AM »

Obama isn't John Kerry so I doubt the Popular vote will be the same. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2007, 09:01:58 AM »

Obama isn't John Kerry so I doubt the Popular vote will be the same. 

Right, Kerry had military service and 20 years in the Senate...so it will probably be an even bigger loss.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »

Kerry's military service and long Senate voting record both worked against him.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »

Right, Kerry had military service and 20 years in the Senate

He also had the personality of an overpass, which quite frankly is much, much more important in politics.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »

I lived in Gwinnett County most of my life.  It is pretty strong Republican territory, but it is, at the same time, becoming much more moderate.

I've read all 6 Harry Potter books, seen the movies, and have ordered the 7th book from Amazon, so it'll be here tomorrow (....yay!...).  I remember when the last book came out, the local Borders book store had a midnight thing to buy the book the minute it was released....the place was completely packed.  The lady trying to get the books banned in no way represents the rest of population of the county, trust me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

I lived in Gwinnett County most of my life.  It is pretty strong Republican territory, but it is, at the same time, becoming much more moderate.

I've read all 6 Harry Potter books, seen the movies, and have ordered the 7th book from Amazon, so it'll be here tomorrow (....yay!...).  I remember when the last book came out, the local Borders book store had a midnight thing to buy the book the minute it was released....the place was completely packed.  The lady trying to get the books banned in no way represents the rest of population of the county, trust me.

What does this have to do with Obama?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »

What does this have to do with Obama?

Nothing.  Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2007, 03:14:13 PM »

Cool. Do you also happen to like cheese. Smiley

For the record, I've lived in County Dublin all my life but will be moving out to Kildare for College in the Autumn. The area around is pretty politically mixed between Fianna Fail and Anti-Fianna Fail, with AFF with a slight majority - typical of South Dublin Middle Class Suburbia. (Yay!) I've never really liked Harry Potter so I don't care about all the fuss (ehh.. yay.. maybe) - read the first book when I was about 11 and never read any since. Never seen any of the films. Maybe I'm missing out.. So far I've never heard of anyone wanting to ban the book here. But then again the ultra-catholic right have pretty much retreated to their caves except to write letters to newspapers about sex and swearing. They're funny people as you ignore them. And don't represent anyone but themselves.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »

No, but I like Star Wars.

And I just happen to be wearing red socks.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »

No, but I like Star Wars.

And I just happen to be wearing red socks.

Wow. I just happen to be wearing Black socks.. That's amazing.

I'm Drinking Sparkling Water as we speak. And I'm looking outside my window and can see exactly 7 moving cars. Isn't life wonderful?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »

Wow. I just happen to be wearing Black socks.. That's amazing.

I'm Drinking Sparkling Water as we speak. And I'm looking outside my window and can see exactly 7 moving cars. Isn't life wonderful?

7 cars?  That's actually really interesting because when I print out pictures on my printer, it keeps leaving streaks.  I think I might need more ink, I might be running low.  Or maybe I just need to dress up for Halloween this year?  I'm thinking of going as the Bionic Woman.  What about you?  Do you prefer your orange juice with or without pulp?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2007, 06:57:21 PM by Clay »

I'm naked and watching a soap opera, and by the looks of things, it's gonna be raining today in Memphis, "The City of Good Abode"

KHAN!!!!!

KHAN!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies