(D-IL) Senator Bill Obama, 45 year old white liberal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:51:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  (D-IL) Senator Bill Obama, 45 year old white liberal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: (D-IL) Senator Bill Obama, 45 year old white liberal  (Read 5182 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »

Elected in 2004, (D-IL) Senator Bill Obama is a 45 year old white liberal anti-war Senator.

Is he running at #2 in national polls for Election 2008?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »

I wish to announce to the world that I like cheese.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:34:13 PM »

didnt dick durbin make both al gore's and john kerry's  short list?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »

I don't see why not, so long as he has the charisma and hope of the real Obama. The best part about Barack is that he's not a Jesse Jackson type, who's always moping about how bad he's had it. Obama's got the infectious positive attitude that a key factor in self-improvement and persuasion.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »

Elected in 2004, (D-IL) Senator Bill Obama is a 45 year old white liberal anti-war Senator.

Is he running at #2 in national polls for Election 2008?

Yes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »

If anything, you should be glad that a black person has gained such prominence who is utterly unrelated from the pervasive atmosphere of victimization complexes, gangster mentalities, or anything of the sort.

But no, somehow you're able to simultaneously grumble about the state of black culture while attacking someone who is actively working against it.  In the same post, no less.

Boggles my mind sometimes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »

Was he against invading Iraq before we did it? If so, then yes.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »

Naso, does your brain work at any point during the course of a day?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »

Guys you're not getting the message of this thread - which is a discussion on which is better Camberbert or Brie? Or are you a "Dutch Cheese" man or even worse, a "Blue Cheese" man - that's not cheese it's just yellowly-bluey goo.

Now that's cheese.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »

Why are you on his case about this? You know he's right for once. Such a person wouldn't get this attention.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »

didnt dick durbin make both al gore's and john kerry's  short list?

Not the short list but I believe he was considered which proves that neither Kerry nor Gore are in touch with reality. That's not the point here though. You just brought up someone who was considered for the VP slot, not someone who was running for President who received serious attention.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »

If anything, you should be glad that a black person has gained such prominence who is utterly unrelated from the pervasive atmosphere of victimization complexes, gangster mentalities, or anything of the sort.

But no, somehow you're able to simultaneously grumble about the state of black culture while attacking someone who is actively working against it.  In the same post, no less.

Boggles my mind sometimes.

And you didn't answer the question. If anything, you just pulled a Naso.

Boggles my mind sometimes.  Wink

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »

Why are you on his case about this? You know he's right for once. Such a person wouldn't get this attention.

Then please explain to us ignorants why Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney are considered top contenders for the GOP nomination. For that matter, explain to us why George W. Bush was a top contender for the GOP nomination in 2000.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:03 PM »

Phil, I would appreciate it if you didn't tell me what I know.

Ever think that perhaps most of Obama's popularity comes from his charisma, speaking skills, and the fact that he gave a well-written and well-spoken speech during prime time on national television? Combine those things, along with his story, and give them to this white "Bill Obama" and I bet he'll be in the same situation.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:38 PM »

Ever think that perhaps most of Obama's popularity comes from his charisma, speaking skills, and the fact that he gave a well-written and well-spoken speech during prime time on national television? Combine those things, along with his story, and give them to this white "Bill Obama" and I bet he'll be in the same situation.

Yes, but what is his story?  He is 1/2 black and 1/2 white.  If he were not multiracial, his story would be of a privileged upbringing with his grandparents in Hawaii, not the "audacity of hope" nonsense we have in reality.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »

Call me naïve, but I think most of Obama's support comes not from him being (half) black, but from his optimism, political viewpoints, and 'pure' stance on Iraq.

If anything, I think he'd be even higher in the polls if he was completely white.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »

It seems no-one wants to discuss cheese...

Everyone's feeding the other guy instead. *sigh*
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »

Yes, but what is his story?  He is 1/2 black and 1/2 white.  If he were not multiracial, his story would be of a privileged upbringing with his grandparents in Hawaii, not the "audacity of hope" nonsense we have in reality.

I didn't mean his exact story, just some story that people could buy into and raise his popularity, whatever that story may be.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 05:46:10 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2007, 05:48:34 PM by Reluctant Republican »

Could there ever be a  white "Bill Obama?" correct me if I'm wrong, but Obama's an african name, right? So, he'd have to be at least half black, at which case, he'd still be given lots of attention.

But on to the point at hand. I think Obama's race does have a moderate amount to do with his success, but its not the total reason for it. He's charismatic, he’s young, he’d attractive, and he was anti war from the start. This is what the Democratic base is looking for. The fact that he's black is a plus for some, but I think you'd be seeing alot of swooning over him if he was white, though not quite as much.

But also, there are many people who see Obama's race as a handicap. there are some people, I am sure, who like everything else about Obama but would never vote for a black man. I'm not sure how large this group's numbers are, but I think its noteworthy that we often think of Barack's race as an assett to him in the primary. That may be true, but I think it also could be a curse in the general.

Oh, and I like Asiago cheese, myself. Specificaly shredded.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »

Then please explain to us ignorants why Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney are considered top contenders for the GOP nomination. For that matter, explain to us why George W. Bush was a top contender for the GOP nomination in 2000.

Nice try but I actually agree with you on Rudy and even, to an extent, Romney when it comes to experience but the media obsession when it comes to their campaigns doesn't even compare to Obama. I think Thompson is experienced enough.

I think Bush's six years as Governor is more experience than Obama's years as a State Senator and brief time as a U.S. Senator.

Why did he have a well written and well spoken speech during prime time on national TV and since when is that grounds for absolutely adoring someone?

There are other people in this race with charisma and good speaking skills, Andrew, but Obama is obsessed over because he is black. If he wasn't black, he would never get this much attention.

I will combine his speaking skills, his story, his position on the issues and give him the name Bill Obama. Guess who I came up with?

Did he get this type of attention in 2004? No.

The reason why Obama's story gets attention is because he is black (well, half black as has been pointed out) and he can speak about hope because we all are familiar with the struggles of black Americans (and I don't say that with any bit of sarcasm either).
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »

Was Edwards ever the keynote speaker at the convention? That speech gave a lot of people a heads up that he was a rising star in the party. Also, "Bill Obama" doesn't have a background as a trial lawyer, which may be a turnoff to some voters.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

There are other people in this race with charisma and good speaking skills, Andrew, but Obama is obsessed over because he is black. If he wasn't black, he would never get this much attention.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. There's nothing to really debate over, it's just a disagreement: you think he gets attention just because he's black while I don't. There's nothing really more to it than that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 06:10:47 PM »

Was Edwards ever the keynote speaker at the convention? That speech gave a lot of people a heads up that he was a rising star in the party. Also, "Bill Obama" doesn't have a background as a trial lawyer, which may be a turnoff to some voters.

Being the keynote speaker is really that much of a big deal? How many Americans watched? How many Americans even remember?

This is pretty much what it comes down to. There's nothing to really debate over, it's just a disagreement: you think he gets attention just because he's black while I don't. There's nothing really more to it than that.

Then why didn't John Edwards, a man with a similar life story (except...he's not half black), similar view points, similar charisma and similar speaking skills, get this attention in 2004? I can accept that we'll simply disagree, Andrew. That's fine with me. You know how much I respect you. But because I respect you, I expect you to answer my question and not just go right into mocking Naso when many people feel that this is a legitimate point.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:50 PM »

Nice try but I actually agree with you on Rudy and even, to an extent, Romney when it comes to experience but the media obsession when it comes to their campaigns doesn't even compare to Obama. I think Thompson is experienced enough.

I think Bush's six years as Governor is more experience than Obama's years as a State Senator and brief time as a U.S. Senator.

Your explanation is amusing, given that Thompson has the least experience of the three (one and a half terms as Senator a decade ago, plus an acting career). Bush held the least-powerful gubernatorial position in the country (in Texas, the Lieutenant Governor holds all the power), so he was also woefully inexperienced.

And, of course, it's not all about experience. Unless you'd like to sing Lyndon Johnson's praises, the most experienced President this side of the Great Depression? Or perhaps you'd like to attack Dwight Eisenhower?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »

Then why didn't John Edwards, a man with a similar life story (except...he's not half black), similar view points, similar charisma and similar speaking skills, get this attention in 2004?

He did end up getting a good amount of attention in 2004...but that may be more because he was the "anti-Kerry/Dean". Maybe that's also a bit where Obama's popularity comes from: he's not Hillary. Anyway, I don't believe that Edwards is half of the speaker that Obama is but that's just me personally.

I can accept that we'll simply disagree, Andrew. That's fine with me. You know how much I respect you. But because I respect you, I expect you to answer my question and not just go right into mocking Naso when many people feel that this is a legitimate point.

Naso didn't make a legitimate point though, as usual; he fed us a few of lines that he's probably heard from Hannity or Limbaugh or his father and then didn't offer anything else....other than some pictures of Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies