Election Night 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:33:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election Night 2000
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Election Night 2000  (Read 20496 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2004, 04:36:14 PM »

Can you blame Gore?  If you had been US Grant or Horatio Seymour in 1868 would you have wanted the impeached, reviled Andrew Johnson campaigning for you?

As MiamiU points out, Clinton would probably have helped Gore despite all the allegiations against him. He would probably have done a tremendous difference in Arkansas, and in other close southern states, like Tennesee or Missouri. That could have been enough to give Gore the election.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

Can you blame Gore?  If you had been US Grant or Horatio Seymour in 1868 would you have wanted the impeached, reviled Andrew Johnson campaigning for you?

As MiamiU points out, Clinton would probably have helped Gore despite all the allegiations against him. He would probably have done a tremendous difference in Arkansas, and in other close southern states, like Tennesee or Missouri. That could have been enough to give Gore the election.
If Gore had won one more state he would have won the election.  Clinton could have gooten him Arkansas, no doubt.
jravnsbo

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2004, 08:19:44 PM »

ok accepting your premise that Gore made a very poor decision in not having Clinton come along, whcich I do believe was a dumb move.  Have Clinton live in AR and go to big fundraisers if nothing else for party functions.

Aren't you glad this poor decision maker that has changed who he was many times without the pressures of being President Lost?  I don't think he would have handled the foreign policy challenges half as well as Bush has done.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2004, 07:28:17 AM »

ok accepting your premise that Gore made a very poor decision in not having Clinton come along, whcich I do believe was a dumb move.  Have Clinton live in AR and go to big fundraisers if nothing else for party functions.

Aren't you glad this poor decision maker that has changed who he was many times without the pressures of being President Lost?  I don't think he would have handled the foreign policy challenges half as well as Bush has done.
Gore ran a bad campaign, that doesn't make him a bad president.
jravnsbo

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2004, 10:32:17 AM »

ok point taken.  But you dodged the question.  Maybe I'll make another thread.

NHPolitico

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2004, 12:31:11 PM »

Ahhh...I get it! Smiley Dave Leip seems to put up with everything we write, which is nice in a way.

Dave's a tolerant man of the new millennium. Yea for Dave!  [/brown nose]
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2004, 12:32:28 PM »

Ahhh...I get it! Smiley Dave Leip seems to put up with everything we write, which is nice in a way.

Dave's a tolerant man of the new millennium. Yea for Dave!  [/brown nose]

Here, here... Smiley
NHPolitico

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »

Gore ran a perfectly fine campaign.  Democrats are too hard on Gore.  He didn't run a perfect campaign, but neither did Bush.  Both have 20/20 hindsight suggestions I'm sure. Bush spent money the last week on states that he lost by double digits like CA and NJ.  Gore did a great job of holding down Nader's vote.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2004, 02:41:47 PM »

Gore ran a perfectly fine campaign.  Democrats are too hard on Gore.  He didn't run a perfect campaign, but neither did Bush.  Both have 20/20 hindsight suggestions I'm sure. Bush spent money the last week on states that he lost by double digits like CA and NJ.  Gore did a great job of holding down Nader's vote.
Gore ran a pretty weak campaign.  He was boring as hell and carried no message.

Kerry and Gephardt most likely would amount to the same thing, but worse since they hadn't served under a popular president for 8 years.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2004, 02:35:06 AM »

It's kind of funny that Republicans mostly admit now that Gore made a mistake in not having Clinton campaign. During the 2000 campaign, they were begging him to use Clinton, chortling about how it would be political poison with moderate swing voters. Maybe at the time they were using some sort of reverse psychology? Or were all of you saying the same thing at the time, that Gore was dumb to not use Clinton? It seemed like most of the Republicans on CNN and the like were always saying that using Clinton would be the kiss of death for Gore's campaign.
John

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »

I think That the Networks called before all the polls Closed
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »

What happened with the people who think that Florida was called before all polls closed is that the VNS exit polls were leaked to some media sources who reported that exit polls showed Florida for Gore.   Some of the democratic political wonks on the networks mentioned the exit polls in FL.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies