MN Sen - Franken Full Page Ad in Star Tribune
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen - Franken Full Page Ad in Star Tribune
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: MN Sen - Franken Full Page Ad in Star Tribune  (Read 6416 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »

Since I don't think the situation for the GOP in Minnesota is going to improve much in 2008 (the state is going to remain staunchly anti-war) if Franken can successfully portray Coleman as a pro-war hack which is what doomed Kennedy, he can win.

Address the celebrity factor and why you don't seem all that confident about Franken.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2007, 01:14:34 PM »

The whole celebrity factor doesn't help, which is why I said to win Franken needs to turn this into a referendum on the war.

Of course I have issues with Franken simply due to the fact that he starts off with a large portion of the state that will never vote for him which is a clearly disadvantage. However, most of those wouldn't be voting for a Democrat anyway, and there's also a very large portion of the state that will never for Coleman either (or any Republican for that matter)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »

Against Mark Kennedy probably any Democrat would have won in 2006.  However, I think you're really underestimating Franken's negatives and the strength of Klobuchar as a candidate (she was probably the best Democratic candidate who ran in 2006, maybe even better than Harold Ford).

I would say that a generic R vs. generic D in the MN Open Senate race with the way the voters were in 2006 would have been roughly 53-45 or so.  I think the weakness of Kennedy and strength of Klobuchar turned into the race that we saw.  I also think Franken's weaknesses are at least as great as Kennedy's weaknesses and perhaps more.  I'm taking that into account in my prediction for 2008 - just FYI.

If I'm wrong, so be it.  But that's where I think things lie.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »

I definitely agree with BRTD on this issue. Ciresi is a better bet, but Franken also would have a chance to win.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »

and the strength of Klobuchar as a candidate (she was probably the best Democratic candidate who ran in 2006, maybe even better than Harold Ford).

Kleeb, Webb
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »

Tester was probably the best candidate for the Dems in the 2006 elections.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »

Then why did he let Burns back in the race in the last week?
Conan
conan

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2007, 12:48:01 AM »

Then why did he let Burns back in the race in the last week?
I think he meant ideological wise. Anyway, yea, you are correct. His campaign was too soft and he was especially when he was talking to Burns in the debates I saw.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2007, 01:02:52 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly wouldn't vote for an oxymoron.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think you comment puts you in the same league as other racebaiting pieces of trash.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2007, 01:21:32 AM »

Uh, yeah, that is what I'm saying. I don't see how my last post indicates otherwise also since I clearly state that I don't believe such a celebrity could win now, especially when the man is a comedian. It is pretty much understood that my point was that after Ventura, celebrities won't win there. Idiot hacks like yourself and Scoonie think you "got me" by pointing out how Ventura won, as if I live under a rock and didn't know that already.  Roll Eyes
Yea, that's what you're saying now with hindsight.

Are you clueless? With hindsight, that is how many in Minnesota will vote!
Conan
conan

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2007, 01:39:25 AM »

Uh, yeah, that is what I'm saying. I don't see how my last post indicates otherwise also since I clearly state that I don't believe such a celebrity could win now, especially when the man is a comedian. It is pretty much understood that my point was that after Ventura, celebrities won't win there. Idiot hacks like yourself and Scoonie think you "got me" by pointing out how Ventura won, as if I live under a rock and didn't know that already.  Roll Eyes

You can try to spin that how you want. Your original comments were clear.
Conan
conan

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2007, 01:45:27 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I think you comment puts you in the same league as other racebaiting pieces of trash.
Nice grammar. I think you comments don't hold up statistically.  I think you research might find out that less than 10% of blacks are registered or even vote for republicans. Know what you're talking about before you make stupid comments you ignorant schmuck.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:05 AM »

I was clearly stating that a celebrity can't win because of past events. There's no spin there. You are clueless.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »

Nice grammar. I think you comments don't hold up statistically.  I think you research might find out that less than 10% of blacks are registered or even vote for republicans. Know what you're talking about before you make stupid comments you ignorant schmuck.

Wow... attacking people for semantic mistakes... that's universally considered an all-time low so it doesn't surprise me, coming from you... acctually, it wasn't even semantics, I simply ommitted one letter.  Do you feel like a bigger man for having gone after me because of it?

Anyway, I am well aware of the statistics... and there are a lot of stupid race-baiting pieces of trash out there, so it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Either was, a black Republican might be rare, but, assuming you know what an oxymoron acctually is, you were charing that "black Republican" is, in fact, a contradition of terms, as though one simply cannot be black and Republican.  I find that reasoning particularly offensive, since it seems to imply that no one who is black could possibly choose to vote Republican based on the merrits of the party platform, because Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton say they can't.  Frankly, I wasn't pissed off because of your cheapening and defacing of Republicans, I was pissed off because you cheapen and deface blacks with such comments, assuming they must all march in lock step with your "civil rights" leaders.
Conan
conan

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »

Wow... attacking people for semantic mistakes... that's universally considered an all-time low so it doesn't surprise me, coming from you... acctually, it wasn't even semantics, I simply ommitted one letter.  Do you feel like a bigger man for having gone after me because of it?
First, I am the bigger man, for more than the reasons found here. Secondly, you don't know my race. Thirdly, it's a fact that the GOP platform is anti-non-white. Swann is an oxymoron. I stand by those words. This isn't race baiting and I should know what that is more than you.
Conan
conan

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2007, 09:24:47 PM »

I was clearly stating that a celebrity can't win because of past events. There's no spin there. You are clueless.
Why do you continue to make a fool of yourself?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »

First, I am the bigger man, for more than the reasons found here. Secondly, you don't know my race. Thirdly, it's a fact that the GOP platform is anti-non-white. Swann is an oxymoron. I stand by those words. This isn't race baiting and I should know what that is more than you.

One of the most outrageous posts in forum history.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »

Hmmm.....anything regarding this topic I have said in the past I immediately revoke. Angry
Conan
conan

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »

One of the most outrageous posts in forum history.
My question remains relevant.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »

Knock it off, please.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

Much as I'd like to see Coleman out on his arse, I'm just not sold on whether Franken is the guy to do it

Dave

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »

If Coleman continues to support the president on Alberto Gonzalez and the failed mission is Iraq, come late September of next year, Franken can take him down.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »

If Coleman continues to support the president on Alberto Gonzalez and the failed mission is Iraq, come late September of next year, Franken can take him down.

We'll just have to wait and see Wink

Dave
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2007, 02:56:17 PM by Dave Leip »

First, I am the bigger man, for more than the reasons found here.

Oh are you?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nor do I care, but I think I read once that you are african-american.  If that is true, then its unfortunate.  I know plenty of hard working, successful black people who don't use their race as an excuse to explain why they can't get ahead.

[/quote]
Thirdly, it's a fact that the GOP platform is anti-non-white.[/quote]

Oh, is it a fact?  Please, demonstrate.  Find the evidence.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »

If the DFL is serious about this seat, it needs to get Janeane Garofalo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies