No charges on 'cash-for-honours'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:57:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  No charges on 'cash-for-honours'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No charges on 'cash-for-honours'  (Read 551 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:21:02 AM »

No-one is to face charges after the 16-month cash-for-honours police inquiry
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »

Time to draw a line under this now and for the political parties to seek consensus on state funding Smiley

Dave
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 09:40:22 AM »

Not enough evidence to prosecute I see.

Maybe the police should hold the suspects without charge indefinitely until such evidence is found (or should 90 days about do it Gordon?) Cheesy
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2007, 10:18:32 AM by Jas »

Not enough evidence to prosecute I see.

Presumably the police did feel that there was enough evidence though if the Crown Prosecution Service were considering the matter. 

Maybe the police should hold the suspects without charge indefinitely until such evidence is found (or should 90 days about do it Gordon?) Cheesy

Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »

Presumably the police did feel that there was enough evidence though if the Crown Prosecution Service were considering the matter.

No, it just means that they (the police) wanted certain people convicted. Happily, an independent prosecuting authority means that miscarriages of justice and cases collapsing due to lack of credible evidence (and this one would certainly have been the latter) are rarer than used to be the case.

Saying that, some elements of the way the investigation was handled were (to me at least) pretty disturbing; made worse by the claims that the police "usually" do things that way.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »

No, it just means that they (the police) wanted certain people convicted. Happily, an independent prosecuting authority means that miscarriages of justice and cases collapsing due to lack of credible evidence (and this one would certainly have been the latter) are rarer than used to be the case.

Of course (and recalling certain Irishmen's history with British justice in times past) an independent authority is certainly very important. The lawyers I'm sure would want a higher standard of evidence than the police, but that doesn't mean that the police (or certain persons therein) didn't feel there was enough to run a case on. (I suspect, it can't be that easy to keep a high-level investigation like this running for 16 months without the accumulation of some significant evidence.)

This is not to say that I think a criminal investigation necessarily should have been had into this matter at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies