Important note regarding District 2 Senate elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Important note regarding District 2 Senate elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Important note regarding District 2 Senate elections  (Read 2985 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 05:51:10 PM »

I'm not a SCJ, and I haven't played one on TV either, but here is my interpretation of what should happen under the law as it is currently written,

This weekend, the District 2A special election will be held.

Then, assuming that redisricting is done in time for the August midterms, that weekend will see an election for District 2A using the old district boundaries and an election in Districts 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B, and 5B using the new district boundaries.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 05:53:02 PM »

I'm not a SCJ, and I haven't played one on TV either, but here is my interpretation of what should happen under the law as it is currently written,

This weekend, the District 2A special election will be held.

Then, assuming that redisricting is done in time for the August midterms, that weekend will see an election for District 2A using the old district boundaries and an election in Districts 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B, and 5B using the new district boundaries.

I agree this is how it must be done if we do not have an amendment.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 06:02:34 PM »

As you all know, Senator Beet resigned recently, creating the necessity for a special election scheduled to begin tomorrow.

According to the constitution: "After an appointed Senator, or a Senator who was elected in a special election, takes office, he or she must face the nearest election whether it be the scheduled Senatorial election or a retention election."

What this means is whoever is elected this weekend from District 2 will need to stand for re-election in the August midterm elections (unless that person chooses to merely retire the seat).  This despite the fact that Beet's term would not have expired until October had he not resigned.

Further, this means that District 2 will have to elect two Senate seats in the August midterms, not just one.  One of those elected will have to serve a short term of two months before facing election again.

There are two possible ways I see of handling this:

1.  Have all of the candidates run against each other in one election.  The second-place winner will be elected to serve the short term.

2.  Each candidate from District 2 must declare whether they are running for the 2A seat (two month term) or the 2B seat (four month term).

Thoughts, ideas?

This is a strange rule that I think is not appropriate to apply in the circumstance...it seems like this was intended for when Governors appointed replacement Senators.  You're actually suggesting that District hold four elections in the span of four months?

Also, this get very confusing with the new districting.  It would only make sense if we ran the August election for Beet's seat using the OLD districts and for Michael Z's seat using the NEW ones.  Otherwise, some states would be represented by three Senators, and others only one.

I strongly suggest that this election be for the remainder of Beet's term.  I can't think of any circumstance in the real US in which two seperate special elections are held, and I don't think that should be the case here.

Well, in the real US Senate, a replacement gets appointed by the governor of the State who then has to be elected at the next general election.  The problem is we don't have anyway to appoint a replacement, especially now that Senators aren't elected from Regions.  If we had Senators being elected from Regions, we could simply have the governor appoint a replacement, but that won't work here.

I see three reasonable possibilities that would avoid the double election syndrome.
1) The seat stays vacant until the next general election.
2) Hold a special election as called for now, but there is no second election.
3) Give the President the right to fill vacancies until the next general election.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 06:09:06 PM »

I see three reasonable possibilities that would avoid the double election syndrome.
3) Give the President the right to fill vacancies until the next general election.

Ernest, all 3 of these ideas are contrary to the constitution as it currently stands.
Your original idea a few posts  back might be constitutionally viable, but I would like to hear from the Court before adopting that plan.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2004, 06:44:29 PM »

Ernest, all 3 of these ideas are contrary to the constitution as it currently stands.
Your original idea a few posts  back might be constitutionally viable, but I would like to hear from the Court before adopting that plan.

Yes, the constitution calls for a double vote.  I was presenting the three reasonable possibilities as I see them for the Constitution to be amended to.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 09:43:23 AM »

Ok, I've read through this thread, and I will post my opinion after I have thought further on this issue.

However, I must say right now that I strongly oppose the Supreme Court having any power to amend the Constutuion.  That gives us way too much power that no one body should have.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2004, 11:52:30 AM »

Two days have passed, with no activity on this issue.  Absent any opinion by any member of the Court, and any action by the Senate to amend the constitution, I am inclined to proceed with the most constitutionally viable suggestion offered.  That is:

Akno21 will have to face re-election in the August midterm elections, from the states in the OLD District 2 (states included in the election just held).  Akno21, a formal announcement that you intend to run again is in order.

All "B" seats in the Senate face re-election in the August midterm election, using the NEW district map.

Any Senate candidate from one of the states included in old District 2 should declare whether they are running for seat 2A (Akno21's seat), or the B seat in their new district.

Thank You,
Fritz
Secretary of Forum Affairs
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2004, 02:25:54 PM »

Two days have passed, with no activity on this issue.  Absent any opinion by any member of the Court, and any action by the Senate to amend the constitution, I am inclined to proceed with the most constitutionally viable suggestion offered.  That is:

Akno21 will have to face re-election in the August midterm elections, from the states in the OLD District 2 (states included in the election just held).  Akno21, a formal announcement that you intend to run again is in order.

All "B" seats in the Senate face re-election in the August midterm election, using the NEW district map.

Any Senate candidate from one of the states included in old District 2 should declare whether they are running for seat 2A (Akno21's seat), or the B seat in their new district.

Thank You,
Fritz

I hearby announce that I intend to run to hold onto my senate seat.  
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2004, 04:03:19 PM »

Thank You,
Fritz

Hmm, I agree that he will have to stand for reelection at the midterm.  However, perhaps using the new district lines would be more appropriate?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2004, 05:05:35 PM »

I think the reason for using the old district lines is, every other "A" senator (in office until October) represents the old districts.  This is an "A" seat.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2004, 05:24:26 PM »

I think the reason for using the old district lines is, every other "A" senator (in office until October) represents the old districts.  This is an "A" seat.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  Fair enough.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2004, 05:24:28 PM »

That may get confusing Fritz. One Senate race in the old District, one in the new.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2004, 05:28:35 PM »

That may get confusing Fritz. One Senate race in the old District, one in the new.

I'll try to make it as un-confusing as I possibly can.  Wink

If we're lucky, no one will oppose Akno to retain his seat, making the real elections in the new districts.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »

If we're lucky, no one will oppose Akno to retain his seat, making the real elections in the new districts.

I for one will not be running again for Akno's seat.  I will endorse him assuming he stays active on the forum.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2004, 08:26:01 PM »

I for one will not be running again for Akno's seat.  I will endorse him assuming he stays active on the forum.

I will try to stay active although I will be away at the beach the first week of August. I'll try to get on here from a library or something, but I won't be especially active at that one particular time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies