CNN Democratic Debate Thread (7/23/07)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN Democratic Debate Thread (7/23/07)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: CNN Democratic Debate Thread (7/23/07)  (Read 17899 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »

I thought everyone did fairly well. Obama was pretty solid. Clinton was excellent in the first hour, but not as strong in the second. Edwards had a few moments. Gravel was entertaining as always.

Strangest answer of the night was Kucinich on the reparations question. Funniest comment of the night was Biden saying that Kucinich's wife was the best thing about him.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »

Tom Brokaw isn't too awful, but yeah, basically the rest of the talking heads can't ask a decent question to save their lives.

Pundits like to focus on the most irrelevent, "gotcha"-type crap.  At least most of the questions tonight was fairly relevent to people's lives and came from the mouth's of everyday people.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:54 PM »

Good debate! I really liked the fact that regular people asked 95% of the questions. The less we have of pundits asking their idiotic, biased questions, the better.

Tom Brokaw isn't too awful, but yeah, basically the rest of the talking heads can't ask a decent question to save their lives. Most of them shouldn't have been given a journalism degree.

How many of them actually have a journalism degree? I'm curious more than anything.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »

Good debate! I really liked the fact that regular people asked 95% of the questions. The less we have of pundits asking their idiotic, biased questions, the better.

Tom Brokaw isn't too awful, but yeah, basically the rest of the talking heads can't ask a decent question to save their lives. Most of them shouldn't have been given a journalism degree.

How many of them actually have a journalism degree? I'm curious more than anything.

Beats me... But whichever High School graduated Bill O'Rielly is a total joke.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

I like CNN's masturbatory "we're awesome for pulling this high-fangled technomologly together" coverage.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »

I like CNN's masturbatory "we're awesome for pulling this high-fangled technomologly together" coverage.

lol. Wolf seems to be yearning for Anderson Cooper...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2007, 08:47:38 PM »

Terrorism wasn't mentioned once...
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »

lol. Wolf seems to be yearning for Anderson Cooper...

Wolf Blitzer is among the worst of the non-Fox News pundits. I don't ever want to see him near a Democratic debate again.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

So, here's a question:  What did people think of the debate format?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by it. It was fast paced, the time seemed more evenly spread out [Kucinich in particular, looked to benefit from this.] and it was a bit more lively then prior debates.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »

If anyone has a link to a full video of the debate (I don't have a TV at all anymore), I'd appreciate it.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2007, 09:46:04 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2007, 10:35:03 PM by Boris »

I liked it a lot. Having actual people ask the questions seems far more personal than having a news anchor asking a bunch of softballs compiled by the CPD. It'd be nice if they could use the same format in the actual 2008 Presidential Debates. It probably would at least increase viewership and interest.
poughies
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Good debate style.. I like it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »

I really liked the format too.  I think some of the questions could have been chosen better.  The debate was already pretty good to start with.  I'm sure if they had a pool of over 3,000, they could have done a bit better than that.  But I thought it made things less stuffy, and despite the new technology, this seemed to be the debates with the fewest screw-ups.

I hope they do this more.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »

I really liked the format too.  I think some of the questions could have been chosen better.  The debate was already pretty good to start with.  I'm sure if they had a pool of over 3,000, they could have done a bit better than that.  But I thought it made things less stuffy, and despite the new technology, this seemed to be the debates with the fewest screw-ups.

I hope they do this more.

I think it's good as a once in the awhile thing, not as a everytime thing.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

The debate format was great, 100 times better than having that neocon blowhard Wolf Blitzer asking retarded questions for 2 hours.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »

The debate format was great, 100 times better than having that neocon blowhard Wolf Blitzer asking retarded questions for 2 hours.

You struggle to stay away from hackish comments, don't you?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2007, 12:58:25 AM »

Didn't watch, don't plan on watching. I hope someone makes a Gravel reel, though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2007, 01:09:27 AM »

The debate format worked a lot better than I expected it to. Still I wouldn't want every debate done in this style.
poughies
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2007, 01:20:07 AM »

I think something key about this was that not every candidate answered every question... it made it "flow"......
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2007, 03:59:18 AM »

If anyone has a link to a full video of the debate (I don't have a TV at all anymore), I'd appreciate it.

^^^^

What made Biden a jerk tonight, BTW?
skybridge
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2007, 05:51:54 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2007, 06:42:41 AM by skybridge »

^^

You can find most of the debate here so far:

http://youtube.com/user/Politicstv

Or if you prefer chronology:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hobobob10

I like the new format. Sure, some questions were silly, but the vast majority of them were better than anything the "professionals" asked in any debate. In my humble opinion, Edwards started off really well and improved my perception of him. Hillary did alright, but dodged too many questions. Her initial approach to dynasticism was alright, but she turned it into an excuse to elude the question. Richardson improved, he tried to distinguish his executive experience from the others serving in the legislature. I liked his video too. I'm never really sure what to make of Biden. He seemed upset about not receiving any legislative credit, but he continued as by far the most hawkish Democratic. I'm still curious if that might appeal to those trained to deny Democrats' national security credentials, but polls don't seem to show so. I don't mind his passion, nor his take on the gun issue, but he contradicts himself too much. Dodd was clearly given more time to speak, but, even if what he says it all agreeable, nothing he does stands out. Kucinich also received more time than usual. But, as usual, Gravel was sidelined. He got the silly questions and he repeated everything I had heard him say before. However, his furious "The only thing that's worse than a soldier dying in vain, is more soldiers dying in vain" was a TRUE highlight! Obama did alright. He seemed particularly concerned about Gravel's fundraising charges. I thought he produced the best video--by far--as well.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »

Didn't watch, don't plan on watching.

Okay, I lied. Thoughts:

* Clinton is trash. "Liberal has come to mean Big Government instead of freedom ... progressive is a good American word..." What the fuck? This is what passes for progressivism in the US?

* The audience seemed to be exasperated with the candidates' religious conservatism. Highlight of the debate was Edwards getting owned for opposing gay marriage... by a minister, no less!

* Biden is a dickhead, but that's hardly news

Gravel and Kucinich were the only reasonable people on the stage. The rest of them are out of touch with the base, and I suspect the country at large.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »

I lovedd Kucinich getting applause for coming out in favor of same-sex marriage.  Dodd asks how he'd want his children to be treated if they were gay, but then says he can't go far enough to support gay marriage!  Grow some balls, gentlemen.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2007, 06:45:39 AM »

We're going back to a 9/10 world, thankfully.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies