Bill Clinton's opening remarks at Hillary event
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:03:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Bill Clinton's opening remarks at Hillary event
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill Clinton's opening remarks at Hillary event  (Read 407 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:57:20 AM »

I am watching Road to the White House right now. Hillary and Bill are traveling around NH. At this one event, Bill states that he wants to be brief so the people can hear from Hillary but that he wants to "make a couple of points."

He then says that the first thing he says at every rally is, "I would be here if she wanted me to if we weren't married."

Is it really smart to be engaging in that type of discussion? He even said that he says this at ever event that they go to. I'm sure they had it tested by a focus group but I had always thought they that'd want to stay away from the issue of them splitting up.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »

I am watching Road to the White House right now. Hillary and Bill are traveling around NH. At this one event, Bill states that he wants to be brief so the people can hear from Hillary but that he wants to "make a couple of points."

He then says that the first thing he says at every rally is, "I would be here if she wanted me to if we weren't married."

Is it really smart to be engaging in that type of discussion? He even said that he says this at ever event that they go to. I'm sure they had it tested by a focus group but I had always thought they that'd want to stay away from the issue of them splitting up.

I don't think its much of an issue.  Its said to show that his support for is political and not because they are married
motomonkey
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »

It doesn't seem like much of an issue but I agree that the copywriters could make the same point without the specific reference to "if we weren't married."  It seems he is trying to make his endorsement sound more objective.  Maybe something like this:

"I would be here if she wanted me to even if I didn't get to ride home (or eat dinner) with her..."

This would reinforce behavior that any American husband/wife could relate to.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies