Who would be better for America's educated class?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:25:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would be better for America's educated class?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: So who is it?
BRTD

WalterMitty

Keystone Phil

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Who would be better for America's educated class?  (Read 5769 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »

The "educated class", whatever that is, are usually well educated people who have no clue what common sense is and are completely out of touch on how things work in the real world. I'm trying to be nice but most people I know would refer to them as "educated idiots".

But being Educated allows you to make comebacks like:

"Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen." - Albert Einstein.

Though I also like "There's nothing more unreal than the 'real' world"

Wink
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »

The "educated class", whatever that is, are usually well educated people who have no clue what common sense is and are completely out of touch on how things work in the real world. I'm trying to be nice but most people I know would refer to them as "educated idiots".

"Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen." - Albert Einstein.

Wink

Common Sense is a reasonable guide, but not always correct and can be counter productive.

Actually, more edcucated people tend to be economically conservative and socially liberal. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »

Wink

Einstein was a fool.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »

Since BRTD has become a libertarian, sadly, WalterMitty would be best for the educated class.

How have I become a libertarian? What libertarian economic policies do I support?

BRTD will obviously never be a very educated person and is thus unlikely to represent the interests if that class.

I'll have a degree pretty soon. That's the definition of educated.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »

Not necessarily.  Anyone can spit back facts without knowing what they mean (or major in communications).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2007, 12:46:11 PM »

Not necessarily.  Anyone can spit back facts without knowing what they mean (or major in communications).

But if there is such a thing as an educated class (and I don't think that there is), then membership would have to be defined based on having a degree and so on.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »

But if there is such a thing as an educated class (and I don't think that there is), then membership would have to be defined based on having a degree and so on.
...and not just that though that would be one pre-requisite. It would also require one to sustain themselves on their formal training. This is because class, at least to me, measures what one's role is and on what terms they relate to "society" and the "market" on.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »

PhD (if we're being really elitist.)? Though I agree that this whole "educated class" business is nonsense, most people with degrees\getting a degree are already in a high enough social class already.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »

PhD (if we're being really elitist.)? Though I agree that this whole "educated class" business is nonsense, most people with degrees\getting a degree are already in a high enough social class already.

Educational achievement is pretty stratified though.

Those that are barely literate (if at all) are about  the 0 to 10%tile
Those who do not graduate from HS but are fully literate are about 10 to 25%tile.
Those who graduated HS and that's it are 25th to 40th%tile
Those who have tried college, but didn't like it or couldn't pass or have enough or do have a Junior College Degree are 40 to60%tile
Those who have graduated basic college are about 60%tile to 75%tile
Those that have tried grad school are about 75% to 85%tile
Those that have basic graduate degrees (Masters and maybe some extra classes) are about 85% to 90th%tile
Those that have intermediate graduate degrees(J.D. , PharmD. ...and other 3 year "doctorate" programs or doctorate programs that do not require you to be a published author/scientist ) are about 90%tile to 95th%tile
Those that have advanced graduate degrees that require you to publish or have some practical expirence after the degree (P.hD., E.hD, M.D.) are the top 5 percent and I guess those who have post-docs, several docs and are professors at full accredited institutions are in the top few tenths of a percent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2007, 01:31:12 PM »

Educational achievement is pretty stratified though.

Those that are barely literate (if at all) are about  the 0 to 10%tile
Those who do not graduate from HS but are fully literate are about 10 to 25%tile.
Those who graduated HS and that's it are 25th to 40th%tile
Those who have tried college, but didn't like it or couldn't pass or have enough or do have a Junior College Degree are 40 to60%tile
Those who have graduated basic college are about 60%tile to 75%tile
Those that have tried grad school are about 75% to 85%tile
Those that have basic graduate degrees (Masters and maybe some extra classes) are about 85% to 90th%tile
Those that have intermediate graduate degrees(J.D. , PharmD. ...and other 3 year "doctorate" programs or doctorate programs that do not require you to be a published author/scientist ) are about 90%tile to 95th%tile
Those that have advanced graduate degrees that require you to publish or have some practical expirence after the degree (P.hD., E.hD, M.D.) are the top 5 percent and I guess those who have post-docs, several docs and are professors at full accredited institutions are in the top few tenths of a percent.
[/quote

Really?  I should've thought most people had graduated from college. 

Anyway, with a master's degree that makes me pretty much an:

Though I prefer the term 'Egghead'.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »

Actually I have heard that of the typical entering freshman class, only about 40% will have graduated within SIX years, so despite DWTL's mocking of me I am actually doing far better than the majority of my entering class.

After seeing my first roommate though, I believe it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »

Actually I have heard that of the typical entering freshman class, only about 40% will have graduated within SIX years, so despite DWTL's mocking of me I am actually doing far better than the majority of my entering class.

After seeing my first roommate though, I believe it.

I think my dad graduated on time. He had like a 2.0 though. Cheesy

I can get statistics for opedo, btw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2007, 05:42:33 AM »

Since BRTD has become a libertarian, sadly, WalterMitty would be best for the educated class.

How have I become a libertarian? What libertarian economic policies do I support?

BRTD will obviously never be a very educated person and is thus unlikely to represent the interests if that class.

No. The definition of educated is that you are educated. And you probably never will be.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2007, 07:10:55 AM »

The only thing you care about is legalized gambling and the continuance of America's redneck gun culture.  You have no idea how annoying it is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »

I don't really care about guns. I'm not going to own any. I just don't believe banning them would accomplish anything, and that the idea that it would is pretty stupid.

Yeah, gambling has been a bit of a pet issue lately, but that's hardly the only thing I care about.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »

The only thing you care about is legalized gambling and the continuance of America's redneck gun culture.  You have no idea how annoying it is.

Those are good issues, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »

No. The definition of educated is that you are educated. And you probably never will be.

Pay no attention to Gustaf - he's just another swedish snob who has no idea what he is talking about generally, but even more so about american education in particular, and least of all about your individual status therein.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:08 AM »

Pay no attention to Gustaf - he's just another swedish snob who has no idea what he is talking about generally, but even more so about american education in particular, and least of all about your individual status therein.

Ignore the Swedish "snob" but pay attention to the American living in Thailand snob?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »

Ignore the Swedish "snob" but pay attention to the American living in Thailand snob?

You can't really be a snob if you don't take credit for your position in the heirarchy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »

Lol! I'll ignore the absurdity of YOU calling ME a snob and just ask whether Swedish snobs is something you often encounter, given that you call me "just another"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 10:27:56 PM »

How can someone with a degree not be educated?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2007, 12:06:14 AM »

That depends on how you define "educated."  You could get a degree involving simply spitting back meaningless information.  The validity of that education would certainly be questionable.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2007, 07:00:24 AM »

A degree doesn't mean educated about the real world.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »

I seriously hope none of the above represent any sort of "educated class" as I will lose faith in the education system even further.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies