NY: Spitzer's Aides Cited by New York AG for Use of Police to Tarnish Bruno
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Spitzer's Aides Cited by New York AG for Use of Police to Tarnish Bruno
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NY: Spitzer's Aides Cited by New York AG for Use of Police to Tarnish Bruno  (Read 2600 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »

This is pretty much the big political news out of NY today.  I posted a couple of days ago on the SUSA Governor's Approval ratings thread that Spitzer was doing the wrong things in trying to antagonize and thus reenergize a demoralized state Republican party and it showed in his approval rating being only 53-38.  I got the usual hackish posts, but that's to be expected.  Tongue

And now this - which looks like the classic "dirty trick" in action.  Amazing to me is how Spitzer could manage to make himself look much worse than Bruno in this situation - that took some serious work on his part.  Also, it's kind of amusing (and ironic) that Spitzer's aides were tripped up over e-mail records (going back to Spitzer's days as AG).

Granted, I still support Spitzer (although neutral on his job performance) and would support him over Bloomberg any day of the week, but I suspect this one is going to inflict some decent political damage.  I'm curious as people's opinions on this one, specifically those in the NY tri-state area.

I'm also curious as to whether this improves Cuomo's standing and whether it makes it more likely Bloomberg runs for Gov. in 2010 (asssuming no quioxitic ventures into the 2008 Prez race)

The NY Times article are fairly good on this one, so I'll post it for those unfamiliar with the story

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/nyregion/24spitzer.html?ref=nyregion

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/nyregion/24governor.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:38:22 PM »

Dem hacks: "But...but...Spitzer will be popular forever! LOL @ FASO, PIRRO, LAZIO, ETC.!!!"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »

Dem hacks: "But...but...Spitzer will be popular forever! LOL @ FASO, PIRRO, LAZIO, ETC.!!!"

And yet Faso, Pirro or Lazio are not going to ever be Governor.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »

And they are jokes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

For the record, Spitzer still has a higher approval rating, and a far higher net approval rating than Pawlenty, who Republicans such as Phil seem to believe is the equivalent of a political God in Minnesota for some inexplicable reason.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:52:48 PM »

For the record, Spitzer still has a higher approval rating, and a far higher net approval rating than Pawlenty, who Republicans such as Phil seem to believe is the equivalent of a political God in Minnesota for some inexplicable reason.

With news like this, it won't be that way for long. 

Besides, the "far higher net approval" difference you're talking about is only 53-38 vs. 53-42, which is well within MOE.  Also, last time I checked Spitzer won in 2006 with <70%, where Pawlenty got what 47% or 48%?

And what does Pawlenty have to do with this news story (unless he's done something similar).  Don't bring your OCD about certain posters onto my threads, thank you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »

He's not related to the item of course, I am simply pointing out that if Spitzer isn't "popular", Pawlenty is hardly popular either, and isn't going to make Minnesota super-safe state for the Republican ticket if he's on it like all GOP hacks seem to believe.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »

Sam,

As fellow law students who have moved to NY state to do the law school thing, whats the worst (realistically speaking) that could happen there?

I mean, its unlikely this is going to fuel a Republican/Bloomberg Victory in 2010...and I can't see Spitzer resigning or being removed from office...

Does this create an opportunity for Cuomo to primary Spitzer, should things not improve in the interim?

Other wise...big deal?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »

He's not related to the item of course, I am simply pointing out that if Spitzer isn't "popular", Pawlenty is hardly popular either, and isn't going to make Minnesota super-safe state for the Republican ticket if he's on it like all GOP hacks seem to believe.

I'm not sure I follow your analogy...I mean...

on one side we have a Democrat having *some* political/popularity troubles in a democratic state...and on the other, a GOP candidate having some of his own but also in a democratic state...

so what we have now is an issue of relative popularity...one could say...Spitzer with those numbers? In New York? Thats troubling.

Pawlenty in a Democratic State like Minnesota? Thats not as bad...even encouraging.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »

I'm not sure I follow your analogy...I mean...

on one side we have a Democrat having *some* political/popularity troubles in a democratic state...and on the other, a GOP candidate having some of his own but also in a democratic state...

so what we have now is an issue of relative popularity...one could say...Spitzer with those numbers? In New York? Thats troubling.

Pawlenty in a Democratic State like Minnesota? Thats not as bad...even encouraging.

Exactly.  I'm not one to argue that Pawlenty has an especially bright future, but the key to having a bright future would be the ability to win over independents.  If the two have similar approval ratings, Pawlenty has to be doing a better job of it, because New York is a significantly Democratic state.  More easily appeased partisans for Spitzer to hold on to.

(And for what it's worth, I doubt this whole affair significantly damages Spitzer in any kind of permanent way.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:13:50 PM »

As far as any longterm impact on Spitzer that will likely be determined on how high this goes.  If it is found out that he had direct involvement in this it could have a long term effect, (though I doubt a major one),  if its just a couple of aides it is likely to blow over.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:40:55 PM »

Here's what I mean:

There's no question that in relative numbers, Spitzer is doing worse than Pawlenty. But relative numbers hardly ever mean anything in politics. In terms of absolute numbers, they are similar. Now many GOP hacks seem to think putting Pawlenty on the GOP ticket would deliver Minnesota. But if you want to argue Spitzer isn't really popular, it's pretty dumb to consider a guy with the same numbers to be popular enough to do this (especially when you consider the VP factors very little in most peoples' voting decisions. See the 1988 election for proof.)

And frankly, even in Minnesota, 53% for a Republican isn't hugely impressive. Go look at the numbers for Dave Fruedenthal, Brad Henry or Linda Lingle for examples of truly impressive numbers in a state of the other party. It's not bad by any means, but Republicans need to get over the idea that Pawlenty is their guy who can lock up Minnesota.

And of course Spitzer currently doesn't matter on the national scale, since New York is still in the bag even if he bottomed out to Bob Taft numbers (which won't happen)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »

And they are jokes.

So both of you just proved my point as I mocked people for doing that. Thanks.

By the way, I don't know where I argued that any of them would be Governor, BRTD, so you really just want to hand me points.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:06 AM »

Proved what point? My post was saying that they are jokes either way, even if that's what the hacks say.

Phil, this is the second time you've tried to play "gotcha!" with me on the forum, while misinterpreting what my original posts had to say in the past two days. That may work with the likes of BRTD, Conan, etc. but don't try it with me. Love always.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

The federal government can get a 2 for 1 discount on hotels investing Bruno and Spitzer
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »

Father Elliott?Huh  No way, he's holier than though.   I mean c'mon a priest like Spitzer would never do anything...................oops, never mind.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »

Sam,

As fellow law students who have moved to NY state to do the law school thing, whats the worst (realistically speaking) that could happen there?

I mean, its unlikely this is going to fuel a Republican/Bloomberg Victory in 2010...and I can't see Spitzer resigning or being removed from office...

Does this create an opportunity for Cuomo to primary Spitzer, should things not improve in the interim?

Other wise...big deal?

If Bloomberg were to run for governor in 2010, he'd be a lot stronger candidate than you give him credit for.  Looking this far out, I think the likelihood is low, though it would increase if Spitzer's popularity stays low and Bloomberg does not run for Prez.

I doubt Spitzer would resign or be removed, but if his approval is low come 2010, a Cuomo challenge seems like a good possibility - Cuomo wants to be like Daddy.  Of course, Cuomo has any number of skeletons in his closet, which would make things interesting.

Whereas I would agree with Smash that this only becomes really bad if there is documentable proof he knew, I still think it hurts him a lot with voters like me, who voted for him under the pretenses that he would bring "reform" and "good government" to Albany.  Since that was his calling card as AG, and I suspect there are a good number of Indys and perhaps GOPers who voted along the same lines, it will hurt.  Scandal that affects a voter's deep-seated belief about a politician can often be very powerful.  Furthermore, given Spitzer's almost patent obsession to detail, I find it very hard to believe that he didn't know about this - that is, of course, not the same as proving it.

One other thing I can almost guarantee is that this means Spitzer's agenda, specifically campaign finance reform, is DOA.  And of course, he still has time to recover before 2010, but he needs to change his ways.  The more pressing concern would be 2008.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:19:54 AM »

Not that Joe Bruno isn't generally distasteful, to say the least...but this is certainly not going to reflect well on Spitzer, both on his cleanliness and his competence.

As for how this affects 2010...a lot still depends on how the State Senate races go in 2008--and, needless to say, stuff like this is hardly giving the Democratic camp the boost it needs to take the Senate, even if the Republican majority is, what, one or two seats at this point?

That said, I was one of the 30% of NY voters that didn't vote for Spitzer last year, so Bloomberg already has my vote should he run.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »

As for how this affects 2010...a lot still depends on how the State Senate races go in 2008--and, needless to say, stuff like this is hardly giving the Democratic camp the boost it needs to take the Senate, even if the Republican majority is, what, one or two seats at this point?

The margin is presently 33-29, so two creates a tie, three creates a majority.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 05:52:44 PM »

The margin is presently 33-29, so two creates a tie, three creates a majority.

Long Island is likely to be a focal point in 08.  The third district is likely to be heavily targeted as Caesar Trunzo will be 82 next year, so he could possibly retire, regardless that seat is likely to be a top target.  Owen Johnson who represents the 4th district is also getting up there in age, could be targeted.  Ironically the safest GOP state senate seat as far as Long Island is concerned is the most Democratic State Senate seat on LI (outside of the one Johnson won earlier this year.  Skelos probably has the safest of the GOP seats.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »

The Democrats only need a gain of 2 seats in the State Senate, since the Lt. Governor would break ties.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:26 AM »

Unbelievable this thread wasn't white-hot yesterday.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »

The Democrats only need a gain of 2 seats in the State Senate, since the Lt. Governor would break ties.

and if/once the Dems tie the Senate a few Republicans will jump ship to strengthen the majority.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »

Proved what point? My post was saying that they are jokes either way, even if that's what the hacks say.

Phil, this is the second time you've tried to play "gotcha!" with me on the forum, while misinterpreting what my original posts had to say in the past two days. That may work with the likes of BRTD, Conan, etc. but don't try it with me. Love always.

I said that that is what this thread would likely turn into and you did feed into it. I understand that you feel that those people are jokes (even if that means agreeing with hacks like BRTD) but that wasn't the point of this thread. You proved that. I didn't misunderstand anything.

You tried playing "No, I got you!" with me and it might have worked with the Obama comments, but not this one.

As for BRTD, I do not believe that Pawlenty is a political idol in Minnesota nor do I believe he would definetley deliver the state for the GOP. I never have thought this and never will (unless he does some pretty amazing stuff and ends up with approvals in the 70-80s).
Conan
conan

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 01:15:05 AM »

He always does that. Even when I try to make piece with him and then I go to another post and he plays gotcha! That's pretty much all he does nowadays, attack people and say absurd things.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies