It's Early Days But Clinton Has A Lock On The Dem Nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:33:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  It's Early Days But Clinton Has A Lock On The Dem Nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: It's Early Days But Clinton Has A Lock On The Dem Nomination  (Read 8291 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »

Hillary Clinton dosen't have a "lock" on the Democratic Nomination so far. Even though some polls are suggesting she's way out in front of Barack Obama & John Edwards, she'll have to wait until she's won Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada & South Carolina first to have a lock.

Hopefully Hillary Clinton, dosen't end up being the Democrat's nominee in 2008, because it will end up backfiring and the Republicans will keep the keys to the White House. I really hope, someone like Barack Obama or Bill Richardson gets the nomination, but I doubt this will occur because Hillary will shoot their candidacy's down in the blaze of glory.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 10:43:33 PM »

Hillary Clinton dosen't have a "lock" on the Democratic Nomination so far. Even though some polls are suggesting she's way out in front of Barack Obama & John Edwards, she'll have to wait until she's won Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada & South Carolina first to have a lock.

Hopefully Hillary Clinton, dosen't end up being the Democrat's nominee in 2008, because it will end up backfiring and the Republicans will keep the keys to the White House. I really hope, someone like Barack Obama or Bill Richardson gets the nomination, but I doubt this will occur because Hillary will shoot their candidacy's down in the blaze of glory.

What I am hoping is that she would defeat herself fighting the alternatives or comes out unscathed, proving herself to be the shadow president, much like Bush did. In fact, everyone had as hunch that Bush would be president since time in the 2000 election cycle....people are begining to have that hunch about Clinton.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »

I fully expect Clinton to be the Democratic nominee, but then again I fully expected Dean to be the Democratic nominee as well. Either way, Clinton is much stronger than Dean ever was; whether that constitutes a "lock", I don't know.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »

Rasmussen has an interesting analysis of the Democratic Nomination:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »

If Clinton runs I'm writing in Arnold.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »

I just think its hallarious what lengths that Democrats went to for the last 3 years to deny that this would be the case.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 09:16:37 PM »

I was one of those deniers, but then I wasn't expecting to be so impressed with Clinton's gravitas.  In the debates that I have seen, she always seems like she knows what she's talking about.  I'm not yet sold on nominating her, but that is purely on cynical grounds.  I'd hate to see us throw away this election; but I'd love to see Clinton as president.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:22 PM »

Obama has to be concerned.  it's early but Hillary has solidified her position without doubt.  One thing neither candidate is worried about is Edwards - a non factorexcept with the Kos wingnuts.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »

I was one of those deniers, but then I wasn't expecting to be so impressed with Clinton's gravitas.  In the debates that I have seen, she always seems like she knows what she's talking about.  I'm not yet sold on nominating her, but that is purely on cynical grounds.  I'd hate to see us throw away this election; but I'd love to see Clinton as president.

Yeah. That's what I am thinking.
gorkay

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

I wouldn't say anyone has a lock since no one has even voted yet, but she's definitely way ahead. Only two of her competitors, Obama and Edwards, have a chance to catch her, and their campaigns have both gone backwards, while Clinton has improved her standing. So I don't know who's going to catch her. There are some other good candidates, but they have absolutely no chance, especially with the front-loaded nomination process (which increases Hillary's chance of stampeding to the nomination; if the same rules had applied in 2004, Dean probably would have won). The only candidate who would have a chance against her is Al Gore, and I don't think he's going to run. I think he would have gotten into the race by now if he intended to. The one thing Hillary has to watch out for is if all the anyone-but-her voters coalesce around one of the other candidates, not because they think he's a better candidate but because it's the only chance they have of stopping her. But again, the front-loading of the process will make that more difficult.

I think her chances will improve if it looks like the GOP will nominate a conservative (read Thompson). That might make some Democrats more comfortable with her, as it may lead them to believe that any Democrat will win in 2008. If the Republicans go for Giuliani or Romney, it might give the anti-Hillary Republicans more ammunition. But if she grabs the delegates before anyone else has a chance to, it won't matter.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

It is becoming increasingly clear by now, even in these early days, that Hillary Clinton has a lock on the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Clinton is seen as intelligent, well spoken, experienced, well versed on the issues, has instant name and face recognition, and has celebrity status in her own right.

She is polling well.  She is well liked and admired by rank and file Democrats.

Barack Obama is not catching on.  The Democrats are not about to hand over their Presidential nomination to a Senator in his first term.  Frankly, the electorate, ultimately, would not hand over the Presidency to a Senator in his first term.  Obama is stalled, and has no momentum or traction, and is not likely to gain much. 

The John Edwards campaign is coming apart.  His rhetoric about inequality in America is becoming tiresome to the public.  He spends hundreds of dollars on personal grooming, lives in an $8,000,000 house, and the public is increasingly wondering how he could possibly relate to the poor.  Edwards is faltering and will continue to do so.

Al Gore will not be running.  He would be starting from too far behind, and he realizes that.  He does not want to become involved in a losing candidacy.     

Bill Richardson, Joe Biden, and Christopher Dodd are minor candidates with limited support, limited money, and will have little impact on the outcome.  Their campaigns for the nomination will go newhere.

Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel are more or less nuisance candidates.

Thoughts?

Well, that prediction turned out well. Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »

For a moment, I thought this was a new thread Tongue

Dave
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 11:10:42 PM »

Thank you for dragging this out from storage.

Clearly, my analysis was wrong at the time.

Needless to say, I have had to rethink my position in this case.

It has become clear now that the race for the Democtratic nomination is now a two person race, Obama and Clinton.

I do not believe that Edwards has the staying power or the money to continue in the long term.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Clinton does not have a lock. I still think Obama will win in the end.

Wow. Right on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies