Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs  (Read 1214 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_on_go_co/safer_cigarette

sh**t! These things are bad for you?!?!?!? I'm glad the government's here to tell me these things!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

More Democrat hypocrisy. They don't want things like the patriot act to stop terror because it "may" bump into people's freedoms...yet they want to take away people's freedom to smoke....
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »

More Democrat hypocrisy. They don't want things like the patriot act to stop terror because it "may" bump into people's freedoms...yet they want to take away people's freedom to smoke....

Even by your Standards Mike..... Wow.

"Graphic Warnings" hardly take away people's freedom. Though they are still silly, because of what Andrew Said. Warantless wiretapping on the other hand..
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »

Warning people about the dangers of smoking is taking away their freedom to smoke?

Do you also oppose nutrition information on food packaging?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »

yet they want to take away people's freedom to smoke....

Do you support the full legalization of marijuana?

No?  Shut up.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »

"They recognize that giving FDA authority over tobacco products is essential to effectively addressing the tobacco health crisis," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

Hmm we have a tobacco health crisis?

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:53:26 PM »

"They recognize that giving FDA authority over tobacco products is essential to effectively addressing the tobacco health crisis," said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

Have you heard of lung cancer?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 09:05:22 PM »

Indeed.  What a revealingly out of touch thing for a libertarian to say.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »

It's only a matter of time before my fags will have some horrifically graphic photos of cancerous lungs and that kind of thing

I've known folk live well into their 90s smoking 40 Woodbines a day since they were 14. If I get cancer, or heart disease, or lung disease, I get it. It's as simple as that

Dave
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »

If I get cancer, or heart disease, or lung disease, I get it. It's as simple as that

Everyone says that until they do get it, and then they wish they hadn't smoked those cigarettes. Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »

If I get cancer, or heart disease, or lung disease, I get it. It's as simple as that

Everyone says that until they do get it, and then they wish they hadn't smoked those cigarettes. Tongue

I could get cancer had I never smoked a cigarette. It's taken the lives of my dad (biliary), two of my aunts (leukaemia/brain tumour); while another aunt has survived bowel cancer, two or three times

When my time is up, my time is up. Nothing can change that, while angina seems to be genetic with we Grays from middle-age onwards

I live life day to day because you never know what is around the corner

Dave
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »

So, what's next? On Big Mac boxes or bags of Cheetos, are they going to put pictures of clogged arteries on them?

Maybe after that, they'll move to other things. Like putting pictures of dismembered people on chainsaws. And some schmuck who has a gaping hole in his head, that picture is the grip design of your new pistol.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:11 PM »

When my time is up, my time is up. Nothing can change that, while angina seems to be genetic with we Grays from middle-age onwards

Dave

That doesn't exactly mean you have to drastically hasten your death along.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:05:53 PM »

Dave

That doesn't exactly mean you have to drastically hasten your death along.

I'll get my telegram of William V Wink

Dave
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »

So, what's next? On Big Mac boxes or bags of Cheetos, are they going to put pictures of clogged arteries on them?

Honestly, I wouldn't object.

But cigarettes have no medicinal value whatsoever.  The types of problems they cause are too numerous to count.  It's not just lung cancer.  Try bladder, oral, esophagus, cervix, kidney, pancreas, and stomach cancer, among others.  Try heart disease, respitatory disease, and birth defects.  Cigarettes don't just harm the people who consume them, but people around them as well.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »

Whilst I generally consider warning labels stupid and unnecessary (huh? Smoking actually causes cancer?), how exactly does putting them on cigarette packs constitute taking away the supposed "freedom" to smoke? I highly doubt that nutrition and ingredient labels on food products negatively affect the freedom to indulge unhealthily; consumers are perfectly free to ignore the warnings at their own peril if they choose. The Patriot Act directly infringes on civil liberties. Warning labels are pretty dumb, though I fail to see how they actively work to disrupt people's lives. If anything, one could easily argue that allowing smoking in public places is far more potentially disruptive than sticking warnings on everything.

Go ahead and attempt to draw a bogus comparison between the Patriot Act and including health warnings on cigarette packs, but don't complain when people don't take you seriously.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

Indeed.  What a revealingly out of touch thing for a libertarian to say.

Smoking and lung cancer have been around for centuries. Now its a crisis? Wasn't it even more of a crisis years ago when smoking was more prevalent than today. Isn't it less of a crisis now than it was then? The word "crisis" is something extremists use to justify whatever goofy ideas they seek to impose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies