Should Polygamy be illegal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:30:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Should Polygamy be illegal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Should Polygamy be illegal?  (Read 7159 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:06:36 AM »

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:12:01 AM »

This is a difficult one. Polygamy opens up all sorts of legal issues relating to marriage/civil benefits, which are typically designed with a single partner in mind. Insofar as it hopelessly complicates the marital system, polygamy is a bad idea.

From a purely social point of view, polygamy would on the surface seem to be acceptable, but I would worry that it might come to have similar effects to polygamy in Muslim nations, where a relatively small group of wealthy men is able to monopolize the female population, creating a great deal of aggression among unmarried poor men. I think it is clear that even in a theoretically equal-opportunity system of legal polygamy, you'd get a lot more two (or more) women-one man groups than two (or more) men-one woman groups.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:50:55 AM »

Yes. Polygamists are scum. Marriage is supposed to be an equal union of two people. You can't have equality in a polygamist marriage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:58:59 AM »

I agree that because our benefit system is designed around the concept of a single wage earning husband with only one wife, it would need some retooling.  However, the concept used to assign retirement benefits in cases where one or more ex-spouses are present in addition to a spouse can be easily extended to polygamy by applying the same principle of seniority.

However while I feel that polygamy should be legal, bigamy should not, and the consent of all the current members of the marriage should be required to add another spouse to an existing marriage.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:39:08 AM »

No.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 07:44:14 AM »

Have to re-organize society quite a bit if you want to make Polygamy legal.. never mind 'mainstream'. Ernest pretty much summed it up already. Polygamy and Group Marriage should be legal, Bigamy certaintly not.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:07 AM »

I would be open to supporting plural unions, but I think that marriage should be confined to two people.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »

Polygamists need their head examined.

Two nagging wives?HuhHuh?

Let it be legal, albeit stupid.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »

Polygamy WAS legal in the USA until 1862, and that ban was upheld in the 1879 court case Reynolds v. United States stating "laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious belief and opinions, they may with practices."

As I have said before, the government should get out of the business of marriage.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:05:29 AM »

If gay marriage is to be eventually legalized, why not polygamy?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13:09 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the largest problem with the act of polygamy usually the ages of those wives the man is taking?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2007, 07:56:47 PM by Gully Foyle »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the largest problem with the act of polygamy usually the ages of those wives the man is taking?

What about Polyandry in that case?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »

However while I feel that polygamy should be legal, bigamy should not, and the consent of all the current members of the marriage should be required to add another spouse to an existing marriage.

^^^^^
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »

Yes. Polygamists are scum. Marriage is supposed to be an equal union of two people. You can't have equality in a polygamist marriage.

Correct as usual, Earl
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 01:40:13 PM »

If gay marriage is someday allowed in this country, there's really no basis for polygamy being illegal.

There's a new show on HBO called "Big Love" where the husband of three wives is played by Bill Paxton.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »

I don't see how gay marriage is any closer to polygamy than heterosexual marriage.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »

Conservatives often say gay marriage is a threat to the institution of marriage. Of course, this is complete hogwash, since gay marriage only strengthens the institution, because gay people in general have the charactaristics that make a good marriage.  However, polygamist marriages are indeed a threat to the sanctity of marriage. Unlike gays, they bring nothing good to the institution. There are just too many problems with the average polygamist union.  Of course the state can do nothing if a guy wants to live with a bunch of women, but it should never endorse these relationships by awarding them marriage liscenses. Gay marriages of course should be recognized on account of it would be discriminatory not too.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »

Correct.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »

Again, if you are for gay marriage you should be for polygamy to be consist in mocking marriage, however, I for one believe both should be illegal
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »

Again, if you are for gay marriage you should be for polygamy to be consist in mocking marriage, however, I for one believe both should be illegal

Gay marriage doesn't "mock" marriage anymore than interracial marriage did in 1950.  Grow up.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 05:15:58 PM »

Gay marriage doesn't "mock" marriage anymore than interracial marriage did in 1950.  Grow up.
A goal of marriage of procreation, something interracial marriage could achieve.  Marriage is between a man and woman, something interracial marriage cannot achieve.  Interracial marriage achieves the same tenets as intraracial marriage so your analogy does work as gay marriage does not achieves these tenets.  Liberal argument #4 "Your living in the past", is one of the least convincing ones in my opinion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »

So you oppose the right of old, infertile people to marry?

Should straight couples that get married and fail to produce children have their marriage license revoked?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »

So you oppose the right of old, infertile people to marry?

Should straight couples that get married and fail to produce children have their marriage license revoked?
As I mentioned before, there are multiple tenets of marriages, the most important being man/woman and reproduction, gay marriage meets neither while old-inferitle couples do.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 06:21:26 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2007, 06:28:37 PM by StateBoiler »

There's a very simple solution to all this pointless bickering. It's so logical as a matter of fact it will never be implemented.

Marriage is a religious institution. It is no longer any business of the state and there will no longer be any tax benefits to being married. That's the only reason there are gays wanting to be married, it has nothing to deal with love, love exists outside of marriage just as well as inside, and love inside of marriage ends in divorce almost half the time. This whole big national argument that will go nowhere cause 38 states will never agree to it is just for tax reasons.

So if you're a chick and want to bang another chick, fine, go ahead, it doesn't matter to me. There are churches that marry same-sex couples already, the Unitarian Church for example I believe. They can then have their piece of paper that will hang on the wall and it can mean all the world to them if they want. I always find it funny that people will reject religion for their partnership on one hand and yet are begging for that same religion's blessing for the same partnership. It completely boggles the mind.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »

Yes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies