Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Let's suppose the Supreme Court decides to take up a case involving a state banning all abortions except to save a woman's life, thus putting into jeopardy the Roe vs. Wade decision -how would you hope the Supreme Court would rule on the case?
Leave Roe vs. Wade in place, but support imposing additional restrictions on women's access to abortion

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and outlaw abortion on the national level

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and leave the issue to each individual state

Leave Roe vs. Wade in place as is

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 169

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade Hypothetical  (Read 17992 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« on: January 11, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »

We should really be talking about Planned Parenthood v. Casey...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »

We should really be talking about Planned Parenthood v. Casey...

Of course...but you know what we mean. What do you think will happen if banning abortion becomes a legitimate state interest warranting only a rational-relationship level of review?

Map?

Well...it gets a higher standard because of the privacy rights involved...perhaps if you separate abortion from privacy, you could still tie it to some intermediate standard based on a sex classification...shrug
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »

or just throw out the right to privacy or say that Roe flies against tradition and should get the Bowers standard. My question was how the states would react. Can you answer that?

I don't know why one would want the bowers standard (heightened rational basis) as opposed to intermediate scrutiny...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »

Bowers only scrutinizes those that are deeply held in American tradition. They can say that abortion is not part of american tradition and therefore is a behavior that can be prosecuted.

But...what would the map look like?

But Bowers has been overruled by Lawerence...Kennedy used the Heightened rational basis test there...(gays don't get the same type of scrutiny as race or gender, but can something because they're targeted for some sort of exclusion).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

Bowers only scrutinizes those that are deeply held in American tradition. They can say that abortion is not part of american tradition and therefore is a behavior that can be prosecuted.

But Bowers has been overruled by Lawerence...Kennedy used the Heightened rational basis test there...(gays don't get the same type of scrutiny as race or gender, but can something because they're targeted for some sort of exclusion).

Not neccesiarily... it was just overruled in respect to sodomy. It could still be used as a means of due process. Just look at the Washington assisted suicide case.

Well i'd think we'd be looking at it from an equal protection standard...I think it was a mistake to ground abortion in substantive due process...and privacy
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »

Not neccesiarily... it was just overruled in respect to sodomy. It could still be used as a means of due process. Just look at the Washington assisted suicide case.

Well i'd think we'd be looking at it from an equal protection standard...I think it was a mistake to ground abortion in substantive due process...and privacy
Well, I guess if Roe was overturned, this would be the new argument to get the right to have an abortion back into the constitution.

Well yeah...you'd go the Ginsberg route and anchor it in the equal protection clause and give it intermediate scrutiny...higher if ginsberg could ever get sex discrimination on par with race

As a disclaimer, I am pro-life, but apathetic...there are far many more issues I feel like we have to deal with and until we address them, I am somewhat okay to keep them safe, legal, and rare...

But my main concern with getting rid of abortion, and what keeps me apathetic, is that because it has been grounded in privacy, and substantive due process...a reversal of the Roe/Casey line, may erode privacy rights...and that does bother me.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:36 AM »

Yes, but there may be extradition laws. Oh. I forgot to mention that there was talk in Ohio about a ban that would make it illegal to go into another state to have an abortion.

By the way, what do you think the abortion map will look like?

I could only forsee such a plan turning against the pro-life faction in the long run...in the age we live in...the idea that pregnant women crossing statelines would be subject to some sort of examination/questioning...even if its to go from PA to the Jersey shore in the summer time...could be well...frightening.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies