Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:08:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Let's suppose the Supreme Court decides to take up a case involving a state banning all abortions except to save a woman's life, thus putting into jeopardy the Roe vs. Wade decision -how would you hope the Supreme Court would rule on the case?
Leave Roe vs. Wade in place, but support imposing additional restrictions on women's access to abortion

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and outlaw abortion on the national level

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and leave the issue to each individual state

Leave Roe vs. Wade in place as is

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 169

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade Hypothetical  (Read 17982 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 26, 2007, 08:51:27 PM »

Let's suppose a state legislature with the support of its governor -let's pick Georgia as an example- decides to ban all abortions except to save the would-be mother's life.  The Georgia branch of Planned Parenthood and NARAL takes the state to court, and reaches the Supreme Court after the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal overturns a lower-court judge's ruling invalidating the legislation.

Given that the ruling contradicts other circuit courts of appeal in other regions of the union, the Supreme Court agrees to take up the case.  How do you hope they would rule on it?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:54:04 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 10:30:48 PM by Frodo »

And also (I see someone has already replied), how do you think the Supreme Court would rule if such a case ever reached it?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »

if Roe was overturned, what do you think the abortion policy map would look like?

I would guess that the South as a whole (basically the former Confederacy, plus Oklahoma and Kentucky) would have some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country, as well as Utah, Indiana, and the plains states (i.e. Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota).

The only states that would ban abortion outright (with no exceptions at all) would likely be those in the Deep South or in Utah. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »

With Sonia Sotomayor pretty much on course to be confirmed to the Supreme Court, I think it's time to bump this...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »

With Sonia Sotomayor pretty much on course to be confirmed to the Supreme Court, I think it's time to bump this...

Why?  I don't see her appointment changing the balance of the court on this issue very much.

Some pro-choice groups beg to differ. 

The thing is, none of us know for sure.  Who knew, for instance, that David Souter would vote to uphold the decision in Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, when everyone expected the opposite?  And there are probably some other examples out there that don't readily come to my mind.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »

Since abortion seems to have become a hot topic as of late...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies