Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:01:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Roe v. Wade Hypothetical (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Let's suppose the Supreme Court decides to take up a case involving a state banning all abortions except to save a woman's life, thus putting into jeopardy the Roe vs. Wade decision -how would you hope the Supreme Court would rule on the case?
Leave Roe vs. Wade in place, but support imposing additional restrictions on women's access to abortion

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and outlaw abortion on the national level

Overturn Roe vs. Wade, and leave the issue to each individual state

Leave Roe vs. Wade in place as is

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 169

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade Hypothetical  (Read 18051 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« on: March 07, 2010, 02:50:15 AM »

I would hope that they overturn Roe v. Wade, and decide that abortion should be left to the various states.  What is so wrong, with letting the people of state A, who believe abortion is murder, ban abortion, while letting the people of state B, who believe in a woman's right to choose, legalize abortion?  What is being done in the name of civil rights and equality, is in reality being done in the name of tyranny.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »

I believe the federalist approach is the best way to preserve abortion rights (or, alternatively, the rights of fetuses).  Otherwise, the rights of women (and fetuses) across the country is subject to a simple majority in one legislative body, the United States Congress.  Or, the Supreme Court.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »

If anybody could direct me to the part of the Constitution that says Congress has the power to ban or legalize abortion, that would be lovely.  Oh, nevermind, it's probably covered by the Commerce Clause for some reason.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »

If anybody could direct me to the part of the Constitution that says Congress has the power to ban or legalize abortion, that would be lovely.  Oh, nevermind, it's probably covered by the Commerce Clause for some reason.

Probably the same clause they use to criminalize other murders, in all likelihood. Then again, you're looking at an issue that activist judges ruled on instead of going through the proper legislative process.

Where is the federal government given the express power of making laws against murder of any kind?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:45 AM »

Probably the same clause they use to criminalize other murders, in all likelihood. Then again, you're looking at an issue that activist judges ruled on instead of going through the proper legislative process.

Where is the federal government given the express power of making laws against murder of any kind?

Probably the commerce clause.

I hope you were being sarcastic...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »

Jeebus, I can't believe I voted the way I did.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies