So if a homeless guy needed to burn an American Flag to keep warm.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:08:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  So if a homeless guy needed to burn an American Flag to keep warm.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: See below
Free Speech! Free Speech! Free Speech!

Why does the Homeless guy hate America?

If he doesn't keep warm then he'll just beat up people and take their Drugs.. he's a homeless guy, Duh!

OMG PUNISH HIM!!111 HE CAN STAY WARM IN TEH PRISON!!!111

Clearly the Homeless guy should look for different objects, he can burn trees, rubbish, the enviorment, other random pieces of cloth but not THE FLAG

Bill O'Reilly

Hey, Why not actually give some Charity to the Homeless guy. And you know, help him out. Maybe then he won't be tempted to burn sacred symbols. Just a crazy thought.

This thread is Sexist. Why couldn't there be Homeless Girl instead?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: So if a homeless guy needed to burn an American Flag to keep warm.....  (Read 4452 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2007, 05:34:07 PM »

Here's this scenario:
- Take one Homeless guy, late in a cold frosty midwinter night in the city
- Take one random Place where this Homeless guy happens to be
- Take one bin where stuff is burnt in order to keep this Homeless guy warm

Now take this Homeless guy on a five minute trip around this undescribed random location, he's looking for things to burn.. his fire having ran out and with very little Gasoline left. All of a sudden he finds an American flag standing upright at random.. it is apparent that this flag belongs to no-one, so should he be allowed to burn it and stay alive for the night?

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

I've always said that there's a fundamental absurdity of valuing a piece of cloth above the freedom for which it stands.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »

I've always said that there's a fundamental absurdity of valuing a piece of cloth above the freedom for which it stands.

If my flag had a red maple leaf on it and if my country was as useless as your country, I'd feel the same.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »

Agreed. I believe that banning the desecration of the flag desecrates the flag more than desecrating it outright, as you are destroying the freedom of speech that it represents by banning its desecration.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:07:12 PM »

Agreed. I believe that banning the desecration of the flag desecrates the flag more than desecrating it outright, as you are destroying the freedom of speech that it represents by banning its desecration.

Plus, the guy isn't making a decision to desecrate the flag for a reason that states his dislike for America, he just doesn't want to freeze to death.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

An incredibly unlikely scenario, so unlikely in fact that I will not respond.  The chances that is the ONLY thing to burn are so slim its not realistic
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

An incredibly unlikely scenario, so unlikely in fact that I will not respond.  The chances that is the ONLY thing to burn are so slim its not realistic

It's a hypothetical question - it doesn't have to be realistic. Just use your imagination. Maybe all the other homeless people have taken all the good fuel. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »

If my flag had a red maple leaf on it and if my country was as useless as your country, I'd feel the same.
And you wonder why I give you Hell at times KPhil.

To get back to intelligent talk, I completely agree with Gabu. This thing is all about freedom, and so youre going to have a restriction of freedom revolve around it. Tsk tsk tsk. This is one of those times we should listen to Zoidberg. (Those times dont come around often) </Futurama reference>
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »

I'd post a picture of me burning an American flag, but I'm too lazy to bother.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

It's a hypothetical question - it doesn't have to be realistic. Just use your imagination. Maybe all the other homeless people have taken all the good fuel. Tongue

Ok, then in this incredibly unlikely scenario I do not allow the homeless person to burn the flag but instead advise them to seek refuge at a local church.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »

Ok, then in this incredibly unlikely scenario I do not allow the homeless person to burn the flag but instead advise them to seek refuge at a local church.

Hmmm, burning a church for warmth might work - it would certainly last longer. Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:16 PM »

Phil, go fuck yourself.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »

Phil, go fuck yourself.

I'm thinking that the update to the Forum has made it a lot easier to say words like fuck and shit, given that we could just put a bold in between.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 10:02:39 PM »

Phil, go fuck yourself.

I'm thinking that the update to the Forum has made it a lot easier to say words like fuck and shit, given that we could just put a bold in between.

No, it was always like that.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

Don't tell it to fuck itself, it might just do it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

And if you can't see that that is an obvious joke then I will remember to never care about what you think.

That goes for Earl and Gabu, too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:07:34 PM »

Amen!!
Conan
conan

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 01:08:44 AM »

And if you can't see that that is an obvious joke then I will remember to never care about what you think.

Very respectable.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:18 AM »

Flag burning should be legal anyway. But I wouldn't look down on a guy if he needed to burn a flag to keep warm.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 03:01:57 AM »

No one is laughing, Phil.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »

Maybe the Canadians offended by Phil's joke now realize how I feel when ignorant Northerners joke mercilessly about Southerners.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »

While this would be a highly unlikely situation, the better question would be... does the homeless guy stay warm longer by burning the flag or wrapping himself up in it?  Having dealt with homeless people over the years, I can tell you that they would be more likely to shread the flag and stuff the strips between their body and the clothes they are wearing to stay dry/warm.  Without any additional fuel, the burning of the flag would keep them warm at most for five minutes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »

Maybe the Canadians offended by Phil's joke now realize how I feel when ignorant Northerners joke mercilessly about Southerners.

Oh shoosh Harry. You make fun of Canadians too. While I'm happy you follow the CFL, please do not judge all Canadian women by the one's you've seen in Hamilton and Toronto.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »

If anyone is offended by the guy burning the flag then you can take a picture of him and burn the picture. Then you will have done the same thing to him that he did to you, which is exactly nothing.

I assume of course that he burned his own flag. If it was your flag then you would be justifiably angered.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 10:14:15 PM »

what a hassle though.  I bitched to Liep about it, and he said it was part of the preconfigured software, that it wasn't a customization on his part.  Still, it's always such a fucking hassle to have to hunt for that little square bracket and the virgule and every fucking time.  Usually I just go for a cedilla under the c, because I'm too fuçking lazy to do the bold delimiters.

I don't care if he burns it to keep warm, or burns it to protest a war, or burns it just because he likes burning things, honestly.  I'm not with all this anti-flag burning mentality either.  Hell, I don't even care if he burns a flag while saying the Pledge of Allegiance, just so long as the he actually stands up every morning and says it, along with the rest of his class. 

I'll go with Bill O'Reilly on this one I think. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies