Victorian Labor Party Leadership (Monday)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:21:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Victorian Labor Party Leadership (Monday)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Victorian Labor Party Leadership (Monday)  (Read 2922 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2007, 01:49:16 AM »

I was shocked when I found out that Victorian Premier Steve Bracks and Deputy Premier John Thwaites resigned on Friday. Now, a caucus meeting will be held on Monday morning to decide who will take control of the Victorian Labor Party and thus the Victorian Premiership.

The current and only candidate for the Premiership is Treasurer John Brumby. Brumby was actually leader of the ALP in Victoria from 1993-1999, but in March 1999, Brumby resigned after agreeing to resign in favour of Steve Bracks.

In November 1999, Steve Bracks shocked the Victorian public to become Premier of Victoria after surprisingly defeating incumbent Jeff Kennett.

There are many likely candidates for the Deputy Premiership. Some names that have come to mind are: Health Minister Bronwyn Pike, Transport Minister Lynn Kosky and Attorney-General Rob Hulls.

It should be interesting to see who becomes John Brumby's Deputy on Monday, and it will be interesting to see how John Brumby performs as Premier, the job that is finally his.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »

It's kind of like the UK Labour Party leadership race after all?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:42:43 AM »

This afternoon, as many people expected, John Brumby was elected unopposed as leader of the Labor Party and thus Victoria's 45th Premier. Attorney-General, Rob Hulls was elected unopposed as Deputy Premier aswell.

It should be an interesting time in Victorian politics.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:16:52 AM »

Why has Bracks resigned? I had heard he was very popular.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »

Why has Bracks resigned? I had heard he was very popular.

Yes Bracks was quite the popular Premier. At one stage his popularity rating was at 76%, If my memory proves to be correct. He said in his resignation speech, that he resigned because he wanted to spend more time with his family.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »

He said in his resignation speech, that he resigned because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Yes. They always say that. But why did he resign?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »

He said in his resignation speech, that he resigned because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Because he wanted to spend more time with his family. Duh.

Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »

Maybe Bracks was doing a Carr?

Buggering off before things got bad.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:07:46 AM »

Shock horror, but I think he was actually telling the truth-his family has some significant problems plus he's already qualified for the maximum possible parliamentary pension.

The more interesting question is why did Thwaites go-personally, I think he may have had reason to beleive he would not win a leadership joust with Brumby and decided it was leadership or bust, and decided for the bust. Try to maintain a sense of unity, which the Bracks cabinet has actually had pretty much the whole way through.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »

Well, looks like the Liberals won't contest Albert Park. BOOOO.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »

Well i'm a particularly unhappy chappy at the moment; the only candidates now for the by-election are John Middleton and whoever Labor puts up. Middleton is a long-term Greens candidate-he runs for everything under the sun, and he gets a few votes, too. Around 20% last time around, and with him as the only alternative to Labor, he just might win this time around. I'll vote for him with a held nose if Labor parachutes, but i'll probably vote Labor if they don't. I hate having to choose between far leftists and the ALP, neither represents my views well.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »

Well i'm a particularly unhappy chappy at the moment; the only candidates now for the by-election are John Middleton and whoever Labor puts up. Middleton is a long-term Greens candidate-he runs for everything under the sun, and he gets a few votes, too. Around 20% last time around, and with him as the only alternative to Labor, he just might win this time around. I'll vote for him with a held nose if Labor parachutes, but i'll probably vote Labor if they don't. I hate having to choose between far leftists and the ALP, neither represents my views well.

In an interview with the Herald Sun yesterday, Opposition Leader Ted Ballieu said if it was up to him for the Libs to contest Williamstown and Albert Park, he would. However Ballieu said it was the party's decision and he's not complaining. I wish they did run though in both those electorates, they got a 3 percent swing towards them in the last election in November, who knows if they would have a gotten a swing towards them in both those safe ALP electorates.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »

Albert Park isn't as safe ALP as it was safe Thwaites. He was a well-liked local member who had represented the community for a long time-and even so, he lost votes and the Greens managed 20%.

The ALP would most likely have beaten the Liberal anyway, but i'd certainly be surprised if the ALP beat the Liberal first preference by more than 5%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies