Pledge/Flags in public school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:03:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Pledge/Flags in public school
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Did your high school say the pledge of allegiance/were there american flags in the classrooms
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Did not go to American public school

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Pledge/Flags in public school  (Read 6138 times)
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:55:47 PM »

At my school we were never led in the pledge of allegiance, and we did not have American flags in our classrooms until the middle of last year.  From reading other threads I learned that both of these things are required by law.  What are your experiences/views on these issues?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »

Yes/Yes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

Had a picture of president Eisenhower on the wall too, I should have counted the stars on the flag.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:38:10 PM »

My elementary school had American flags in every class room, and we recited the pledge every morning.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »

At my school we were never led in the pledge of allegiance, and we did not have American flags in our classrooms until the middle of last year.  From reading other threads I learned that both of these things are required by law.  What are your experiences/views on these issues?

Where are you from in MA? I grew up in MA and we always had them.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:50:08 PM »

Whilst I vaguely remember learning the Pledge, we didn't exactly wallpaper our house with the American flag. I certainly never recited it past the equivalent of second or maybe third grade in the conventional public school system. Maybe that explains why I ended up becoming such an unpatriotic Communist sympathising terrorist-hugger.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »

Yes/Yes

We recite it every morning at my high school, although it's obviously not obligatory. It's kinda funny how haphazardly it's recited though. Several people are too lazy to stand up so they just sit down and say it, while others don't join in until like halfway. And no one paid attention when we had tests.

I remember reciting it once a week in Middle School, but only after 9/11 occurred. lol.

Probably did it in elementary school, but I don't remember how frequently.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »

Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »

I'm from Sudbury.  I understand that this is a thing that doesn't exactly differ by broad regions, but really from school to school.  Every other public school around here that I have seen does have flags, and before high school we did recite the pledge every week.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

Yes/Yes

We recite it every morning at my high school, although it's obviously not obligatory. It's kinda funny how haphazardly it's recited though. Several people are too lazy to stand up so they just sit down and say it, while others don't join in until like halfway. And no one paid attention when we had tests.

I remember reciting it once a week in Middle School, but only after 9/11 occurred. lol.

Probably did it in elementary school, but I don't remember how frequently.

That's how it was when I went to High School....and there was FOX news in the lobby.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »

I'm from Sudbury.  I understand that this is a thing that doesn't exactly differ by broad regions, but really from school to school.  Every other public school around here that I have seen does have flags, and before high school we did recite the pledge every week.

Doesn't Sudbury go to a regional school? Nevertheless, I'm shocked that Sudbury doesn't have them. I thought you'd say either Amherst or Cambridge.

BTW: I grew up in Medway and I did some vendoring work for Sudbury Farms while in college.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »

Doesn't Sudbury go to a regional school? Nevertheless, I'm shocked that Sudbury doesn't have them. I thought you'd say either Amherst or Cambridge.

BTW: I grew up in Medway and I did some vendoring work for Sudbury Farms while in college.

Yes, our high school is called Lincoln-Sudbury Regional HS.  I don't know how long ago you lived in the area, but Sudbury is now pretty liberal and solidly Democratic.  The high school in particular is thought of as very liberal in its policies and attitudes (as well as the politics of its staff and students).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »

Yes/Yes

I'm pretty sure this is true of every public school in the United States.  Even in San "Homobortionville" Francisco.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »

I don't remember having to say the pledge of allegiance, but there were flags in every classroom, and we did have a mandated moment of silence before the start of the first class in the day. 

And remember, this is pre-9/11....back in the day, you know?  Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 10:00:33 PM »

Yes/Yes, but I would happily vote against any such law requiring either.  The Pledge of Allegiance should be abolished.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 10:30:37 PM »

Goddamned right we did.  Back then you could hold up your head high and be proud of being a yankee.  And I even started kindergarten in 1973, the year we surrendered in Viet Nam.  Surely Iraq isn't as bad as Viet Nam, and yet these days young folks won't even admit to being a yankee on a Paris subway.  Hell, when I visited paris for the first time at the age of seven, I had no problem wearing my Mickey Mouse T-shirt and psycedelic bell-bottoms, like any dorky american schoolchild would have in those days.  I don't know what the kids are wearing now, but you can bet it's anything anti-US when they're overseas.  Pussies.

I do think we should have freer and more open borders, and I have no problem teaching in Spanish or Chinese in public schools if it helps the locals learn, and I certainly don't support this English-only crap, but I also think it doesn't hurt to remind them who's paying for that education.  I am.  And you are.  Fly the banner high, and let's remind them all of our allegiance.  Maybe if we weren't so busy beating up on those who don't speak english at home, or those who are muslims or queer or cigarette smokers or whatever, folks wouldn't be so goddamned ashamed to pledge to  the flag and to the republic it represents.

I keep a flag on my desk in order to remind myself every day of the good people who fund my grant and, indirectly, my salary.  I keep it right next to a big poster of a seven-pronged cannibis leaf with the words "make it legal."  Land of the free.  Home of the brave.  I don't often pledge my allegiance to it, but I remember fondly the pledges of my youth, and I think they made me a better citizen.

I'll pledge now.  I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, and to the republic it represents.  One nation with liberty and justice for all.

We can call the two word prepositional phrase "under god" optional.  Frankly, I think they should lose that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 10:59:06 PM »

Yes/Yes, and I like anyone that quotes P J O'Rourke's Parliament of Whores in their signature. Smiley
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 12:24:57 AM »

There was actually a big argument in my High School about the pledge.  Bush invaded Iraq during my senior year and there was a small group of people opposed to the war who refused to stand for the pledge afterward.  The school tried to give them detention but when their parents threatened to take the district to court the school struck a deal and those students sat in the office during the pledge so that they "didn't cause a disturbance."  This ended up being completely counteractive because all of these students were always late for second period which caused an even greater disturbance.  The school stopped using this policy after all the teachers complained about their classes being interrupted by late comers every day.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 07:46:30 AM »

Abolish the pledge.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 08:11:33 AM »

Yes/Yes and make the pledge mandatory to say in class. None of this "I object" bs either.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »

Yes/Yes and make the pledge mandatory to say in class. None of this "I object" bs either.
Forcing someone to say the pledge is contradictory to the freedom the pledge represents.

At my high school, we were technically required to say the pledge, but I know one guy who didn't, and he never got in trouble.  I have no objection to the pledge personally, so I always said it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 08:35:37 AM »

Forcing someone to say the pledge is contradictory to the freedom the pledge represents.

At my high school, we were technically required to say the pledge, but I know one guy who didn't, and he never got in trouble.  I have no objection to the pledge personally, so I always said it.

Freedom isn't free, plus we are talking about children, who don't have full constitutional rights anyhow.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »

Yes/Yes, however, I protest to it by reciting the entire thing in gibberish.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »

Yes/Yes

I went to a private school and we only had to say it before major assemblies, which were rather infrequent no more than once a month or so, and as you can see its scarred me with a lack of patriotism and nationalism for the rest of my life. As for making people say the Pledge, I think its a horrible idea and goes against everything the Pledge stands for.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies