Could quality education solve most of America's domestic problems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:57:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Could quality education solve most of America's domestic problems?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Thoughts?
Yes, absolutely

Yes, in a perfect world

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Could quality education solve most of America's domestic problems?  (Read 4620 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 01:13:34 PM »

People, just because a worker is well trained, this does not essentially change his position in the heirarchy.  In fact, if instituted without any other redistribution education programs are actually a subsidy to the owning classes, saving them the trouble and expense of training their own serviles.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 03:06:06 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2007, 03:48:18 PM by Angry_Weasel »

People, just because a worker is well trained, this does not essentially change his position in the heirarchy.  In fact, if instituted without any other redistribution education programs are actually a subsidy to the owning classes, saving them the trouble and expense of training their own serviles.

Damn you, U.S. News!!! ..and yes, education should be made interest-free and have minimal bench marks to recieve further training. The problem is that everyone loses as unqualified individuals are allowed into an educational program. Schools of that program become stratified and wages fall to the point that rigid class struture is preserved.

For example, people who can't get a 31 or 32 on the MCAT shouldn't go to med school.
People who can't get a 1100/24 on the ol'SAT/ACT shouldn't get to go to college, people who get less than a C+ average in HS shouldn't go into trade school and those who can't get into at least a 150 (some would say 155 or 160..) on the LSAT shouldn't get into law school...and everyone should wait two years before taking it again.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »

Yes, absolutely; almost all problems can indeed be traced to poor education and it would indirectly help solve every problem in some way.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »

So you don't think that if people were better educated that they'd be more likely to elect better leaders who would help change the system for the better? Isn't the ignorance of the masses about the social hierarchy the primary reason for its continued existence?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 10:29:40 PM »

So you don't think that if people were better educated that they'd be more likely to elect better leaders who would help change the system for the better? Isn't the ignorance of the masses about the social hierarchy the primary reason for its continued existence?
Maybe, another part of education is that it brainwashes people, however.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 01:47:37 AM »

Well, I'm thinking that's likely going to be his response (the education system is just a tool of the elite to convince the masses to support the current structure that keeps them at the bottom of the social hierarchy, etc.) but if that is the case, that would imply that we need better education, and thus proves my point. There's a difference between education and brainwashing, and thus attacks on the current educational system or structure do not undercut my position.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:54 AM »

No.  I don't fall for silver bullet solutions because there is no such thing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 08:47:33 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2007, 08:49:20 AM by Angry_Weasel »

Well, I'm thinking that's likely going to be his response (the education system is just a tool of the elite to convince the masses to support the current structure that keeps them at the bottom of the social hierarchy, etc.) but if that is the case, that would imply that we need better education, and thus proves my point. There's a difference between education and brainwashing, and thus attacks on the current educational system or structure do not undercut my position.

I guess that's why people like the Kansas School Board on one hand, and Ward Churchill on the other should be watched out for.

No.  I don't fall for silver bullet solutions because there is no such thing.
The world is a complicated and difficult place, but that does not mean we do not have a mandate to make it better but silver bullets can't penetrate the kevlar of our problems because if we already knew the fix to a tee, we wouldn't have those problems. The "short cut" is always riddled with problems. If it wasn't, it would simply be known as "the way".
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »

Well I don't think anyone is saying there is a silver bullet....the problem of how to make education better is an extremely complex and difficult one.

But I think it's hard to come up with a political problem that wouldn't greatly benefit from people being better educated and better informed.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 09:11:22 AM »

Well I don't think anyone is saying there is a silver bullet....the problem of how to make education better is an extremely complex and difficult one.

But I think it's hard to come up with a political problem that wouldn't greatly benefit from people being better educated and better informed.

But generally speaking the people who badly need to better educated and better informed are often the people less likely to pay much attention to their schooling (and again, we should not mix up schooling with Education.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2007, 03:40:24 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Higher education is already very well funded in the states. The problem is lower down.

Actually, college isn't affordable at all for the very poor, you elitist. Financial aid is pathetic. I remember seeing that financial aid (counting loans) met only 70% of my estimated financial need. That's bullsh**t.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »

Higher education is already very well funded in the states. The problem is lower down.

Actually, college isn't affordable at all for the very poor, you elitist. Financial aid is pathetic. I remember seeing that financial aid (counting loans) met only 70% of my estimated financial need. That's bullsh**t.

Did your mother ever tell you that it's wrong to twist people's words out of all context?

I did not comment on the affordability of higher education in the U.S. Learn to read.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »

Sure it would make things better.  But that's not what the thread asks.  The thread asks if education wouls solve America's problems.  I hear people constantly talk about education as a silver bullet to America's problems, and while I think everyone here would like the education system to be better, we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that improving it will solve everything else.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »

It's not that, its the fact that they are usurers and should be thrown down a well.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies