Bush May Get Another Justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:45:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush May Get Another Justice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush May Get Another Justice  (Read 2744 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20039923/

Roberts had a seizure in Maine.  Here's wishing he and his family well.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »

Bush needs to face justice.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »

They've said he's had one before, the only thing that changed was he couldn't drive for a couple of months. If it's the same thing it'll be random and not affect him much.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »

He should be fine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »

Roberts should be fine, although it would be epicaricatic for the left if he departed the court because of this.  I can't see Bush being able to get a nominee similar to Roberts in outlook through the current Senate unless Democratic obstructionism started to hurt their Presidential chances.
Conan
conan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »

Bush wouldn't get another justice anyhow.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »

He's fine.  MRI came back negative, and he suffered only minor injuries.  It does make you question how things might have changed if the court suddenly lost its chief justice unexpectedly.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »

The dems could have used Robert's replacement as a bargaining chip to end the war. Then again, it awful to think about that as I have a step-brother who has seizures as well.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »

If Bush does have the chance to nominate another justice, I would bet it would get almost violent in the Senate. It would be nasty alligations tossed back and forth and I wouldn't be shocked to see it get physical with some of the Senators.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »

If Bush does have the chance to nominate another justice, I would bet it would get almost violent in the Senate. It would be nasty alligations tossed back and forth and I wouldn't be shocked to see it get physical with some of the Senators.
I could easily see Senator Byrd beating GOP Senators with his cane.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »

And who plays Charles Sumner? Ted Stevens?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »

And who plays Charles Sumner? Ted Stevens?
What if it was a younger, more ideological republican? It would be funny for Bryd to cane Coburn.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »

If it goes anything like recent history, there will be overblown predictions of high drama in the Senate. Bush will nominate a bland judge with no significant record. There will be formulaic hearings in which the judge goes through the motions of promising to uphold precedent and claiming to have no opinions on any significant cases. A few senators will put up symbolic gestures of defiance. The American people yawn, and at the end of hearings polls show 50 percent still don't know enough to have an opinion. He will be confirmed by something like 55-45, and go on towards ultraconservative jurisprudence, as usual.
Conan
conan

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »

If it goes anything like recent history, there will be overblown predictions of high drama in the Senate. Bush will nominate a bland judge with no significant record. There will be formulaic hearings in which the judge goes through the motions of promising to uphold precedent and claiming to have no opinions on any significant cases. A few senators will put up symbolic gestures of defiance. The American people yawn, and at the end of hearings polls show 50 percent still don't know enough to have an opinion. He will be confirmed by something like 55-45, and go on towards ultraconservative jurisprudence, as usual.
filibuster. There's no way a new judge can get passed a filibuster.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:33:36 PM »

Roberts will be fine, and even if he does resign, it's not giving Bush another seat, because he was the one who appointed Roberts.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37:37 PM »

Roberts should be fine, although it would be epicaricatic for the left if he departed the court because of this.  I can't see Bush being able to get a nominee similar to Roberts in outlook through the current Senate unless Democratic obstructionism started to hurt their Presidential chances.

I think any obstruction of a Bush nominee would probably be looked upon favorably by the nation; the reason congress's approval ratings are so low is because they haven't managed to ram an Iraq pullout bill through the veto.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »

I think any obstruction of a Bush nominee would probably be looked upon favorably by the nation; the reason congress's approval ratings are so low is because they haven't managed to ram an Iraq pullout bill through the veto.
Having one of Reagan-Bush's judges retiring would give the Dems a chance to force Bush and the Republicans to choose between a domestic legacy or Iraq. Because only the Military-Industrial complex still supports the war while judicial appointments are a more divisive issue, The dems could condition the confirmation of the replacement judge on the condition that he cave in to the dems. This would be under the understanding that if he loses a judge, the court would basically go back to either 4-2-3, like was since 1994, or worse, there could be a solid bloc on the court that would be more sympathetic to the democrats and give them the presidency the election comes within the margin of litigation.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:46:21 PM »

Considering reports say Rhenquist was a drooler near the end Roberts should be just fine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »

Considering reports say Rhenquist was a drooler near the end Roberts should be just fine.

Some of these guys won't leave until they are basically brains in jars, if they could.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:42 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2007, 01:04:46 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Having one of Reagan-Bush's judges retiring would give the Dems a chance to force Bush and the Republicans to choose between a domestic legacy or Iraq. Because only the Military-Industrial complex still supports the war while judicial appointments are a more divisive issue, The dems could condition the confirmation of the replacement judge on the condition that he cave in to the dems. This would be under the understanding that if he loses a judge, the court would basically go back to either 4-2-3, like was since 1994, or worse, there could be a solid bloc on the court that would be more sympathetic to the democrats and give them the presidency the election comes within the margin of litigation.

No. Bush has gotten 2 justices too many on the court and 5 1/3 years too long of warmongering. A third justice approved = strike 3 for the Democratic party.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 01:08:43 AM »

No. Bush has gotten 2 justices too many on the court and 5 1/3 years too long of warmongering. A third justice approved = strike 3 for the Democratic party.

Actually, if 2 justices = 1 strike and 5 1/3 years of warmongering = 1 strike, then 3 justices + 5 1/3 years of warmongering = 2 1/2 strikes.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 01:43:40 AM »

Some of these guys won't leave until they are basically brains in jars, if they could.

Nixon LIVES!

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 07:03:30 AM »

I can't believe all you fellows saying 'he's fine'.  A man of late middle-age nearing his elderly  years and having seizures is not 'fine'.  He could drop at any time. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 07:15:34 AM »

I can't believe all you fellows saying 'he's fine'.  A man of late middle-age nearing his elderly  years and having seizures is not 'fine'.  He could drop at any time. 

He had a seizure before in 1993 and he had one now. Sometimes seizures occur and nothing's really the cause of them. Unless he has another one really soon he'll be fine.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

They'll probably put him on anti-seizure medication now, but unless there's something serious in the brain that's causing this and it's not just a random occurrence, he'll probably be just fine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies