Obama might send troops into Pakistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:46:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Obama might send troops into Pakistan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama might send troops into Pakistan  (Read 5309 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 07:46:38 PM »

Clearly whatever he is exactly suggesting would be better for the CIA or special forces to intervene, but not the main army.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »

I'm suddenly curious as to what reasons Obama gave for opposing the invasion of Iraq.
...because who we were after wasnt there?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »

The article is from Nedra Pickler, so must be taken with a dump truck load of salt. She repeatedly screws up articles, and should be fired. I believe what Obama actually said was he would support air strikes on specific targets in Pakistan if the situation arose. Nothing that exciting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »

Quote from BBC article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »

You actually think unfair ad hominem attacks will work against Clinton? She's not even president yet and there is already this irrational hatred of Hillary.

There's been a hatred of Killary back when she was just Bills wife, so I'm not too sure what you are getting at.  If you are referring to my "Killary" . . . well, you're just going to have to get use to it, since I've been using it on here and in real life for years.  I'm sorry if you've just noticed it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »

You actually think unfair ad hominem attacks will work against Clinton? She's not even president yet and there is already this irrational hatred of Hillary.

There's been a hatred of Killary back when she was just Bills wife, so I'm not too sure what you are getting at.  If you are referring to my "Killary" . . . well, you're just going to have to get use to it, since I've been using it on here and in real life for years.  I'm sorry if you've just noticed it.

Also, remember how bad "anyone but X" campaigns do.

Anyways, we have to do something to keep Musharrif in power...keep this pillar up.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:09:30 PM »

Anyways, we have to do something to keep Musharrif in power...keep this pillar up.

It's unfortunate that Obama made this comment.  Like I said, he does get some credit for trying to show a spine on foreign policy issues, but he's just weakened Musharrif's authority with this comment, even though he is not in a position to order troops to Pakistan as a Senator.  I'm glad to see most of the Presidential Candidates come out and denouce Obama's comments. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 11:24:43 PM »

So he wants to go to war with a country that's a lot stronger than Iraq and is somewhat helping us? Wow....

He didn't mean go to war with Pakistan, but go after terrorists in a part of Pakistan that the government doesn't even really control.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 11:35:29 PM »

Obama's all for sending troops we don't have available at the moment into Pakistan and Sudan.  No wonder he wants us out of Iraq, he doesn't want to bring the troops home so we can rebuild our overstrained Army, he just wants to send them elsewhere.  Seriously though, as disappointing as Musharraf has been, do we really want to risk toppling him and having Pakistan's A-Bomb fall into the hands of Osama?  You'd think Obama would have learned from Bush the idiocy of throwing our military power around without any thought for the consequences.

Agree entirely.

Isn't Obama supposed to be anti-war, or is he only anti-war when its covenient for his political career?

There's a difference between being generically anti-war and being against the Iraq war. Of course this difference is too subtle for Republicans to understand. Turn off the freaking propaganda and learn to think for yourself.

But, don't you;d think he'd learn from Bush's mistakes not to invade a Middle Eastern country without precedent? This guy is jut an idiot, given his recent comments. He clearly is a dimwit on foreign policy and will say a lot about the Democratic party if he wins their nomination. At least Biden, Clinton, and McCain (all of whose foreign policy I disagree with) have a clue at what they're talking about.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 11:36:19 PM »

It's unfortunate that Obama made this comment.  Like I said, he does get some credit for trying to show a spine on foreign policy issues, but he's just weakened Musharrif's authority with this comment, even though he is not in a position to order troops to Pakistan as a Senator.  I'm glad to see most of the Presidential Candidates come out and denouce Obama's comments. 

Will this cause Obama to collapse?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 08:20:53 AM »

I don't think it will be the end of his campaign, but it will push some of the support he's gained from Edwards back to Edwards, keeping Edwards a viable candidate into the early stages of the primaries.  Obama still has a lot of tools in his bag, but between the Cuba/NK/Iran comment and now this, the chances of him picking up any independents whose main issue is national defense is just about zero now.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »

A bit of a dumb idea.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »

Obama still has a lot of tools in his bag, but between the Cuba/NK/Iran comment and now this, the chances of him picking up any independents whose main issue is national defense is just about zero now.

Agreed. While national defense isn't my main issue and Obama wasn't my favorite Democrat  (that's been bouncing between Biden and Richardson for some time now), he's managed to eliminate any possibility that I'd vote for him in either the primary or the general election, especially after his response to the criticism he received on this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »

Where are the libs who are all up in arms about the United States violating the territorial soverienty of another country?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »

Where are the libs who are all up in arms about the United States violating the territorial soverienty of another country?

Don't you remember? They only are anti-war when it suits their purposes. These recent comments have moved Obama from my third-favorite Dem in the field to my sixth.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »

People need to read Obama's actual speech, and opposed to reading the latest right-wing propaganda from Nedra Pickler. There are plenty of sh**tty "journalists" out there, but she is still one of the worst.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »

Obama wants to whack Osama. Cute.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »

OMG I GET IT THEYRE NAMES ARE SIMILKAR LOLOLOLOL

Jesus Fucking Christ people, didn't that get old like a year ago?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »

No, because a year ago Obama was just a marginal political figure, having only been a state legislator and a keynote speaker at a convention. Now, after only a year, Obama has all the experience necessary to become president, a statement proven by idiotic comments such as this.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »

No, because a year ago Obama was just a marginal political figure, having only been a state legislator and a keynote speaker at a convention. Now, after only a year, Obama has all the experience necessary to become president, a statement proven by idiotic comments such as this.

A year ago Barack Obama was in the United States senate...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 07:47:16 PM »

Do you think she killed someone?  Just wondering from where you drew your feeble attempt at cleverness..
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »

Do you think she killed someone?  Just wondering from where you drew your feeble attempt at cleverness..
OMGZ! you didn't know Killary murdered Vince Foster in a coke fueled rage and dumped his body in a park?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 08:58:24 PM »

Get a grip Boris.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies