Ernest Cleveland: The Gold Standard for District Two
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ernest Cleveland: The Gold Standard for District Two
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ernest Cleveland: The Gold Standard for District Two  (Read 2716 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:56:44 PM »

Friends, I come here today to say that I will run for Senate from District Two.

With the budget no longer a concern of the Senate, it is more imperative than ever that we have a sense of fiscal discipline in Nyman.  The return to a gold standard in Atlasian finance that I advocate in this campaign is but a tool to achieve that discipline.  Without that discipline our government is all too likely to churn out such extravagances of spending as to quickly make a dollar worth but 50 cents.  Send me to Nyman and you will help to provide an honest government that ensures honest money for honest work!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

Is every person in District 2 running for elected office?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »

Well certainly the most feared of my opponents
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

Ernest, as stated before you are invited to the debate, and I hope you attend.  I have always had the utmost respect for you and know you would make a fine senator if elected, however, I still will be running
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »

Attendance at the debate will depend on how it is conducted.  I have no interest in a debate over IM.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »

Go Ernest! We need § symbol back in our legislation.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:29:35 PM »

Attendance at the debate will depend on how it is conducted.  I have no interest in a debate over IM.

Don't worry. It will be a forum debate moderated by myself (I have yet to endorse any candidate). I'm glad you're running, though.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »

How the hell do you make that symbol?  I've always wanted to do that
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »

How the hell do you make that symbol?  I've always wanted to do that

ALT+0167 = §

Or you can just cut and paste from Charmap.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »

Code:
alt+0167
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »

You actually have to press the buttons ALT and then hold down numbers 0167.

On Macs it's pretty easy compared to Windows (as usual) with just Option + 6...§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:22 PM »

You actually have to press the buttons ALT and then hold down numbers 0167.

On Macs it's pretty easy compared to Windows (as usual) with just Option + 6...§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

You hold down the alt key, and then press the numbers 0 1 6 7—on the number pad.  (The numerical keyboard row doesn't work.)

There are a whole bunch of great symbols you can access through holding the ALT key.  (Including my own personal favorite, ALT+0151.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »

Not only §, but also ¶, ‰, and ‽ will receive appropriate support from me should I be elected Senator.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »

Not only §, but also ¶, ‰, and ‽ will receive appropriate support from me should I be elected Senator.

What about ™, ¢, º, ≠, œ, ∑, ®,†,ø, π, and ß?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »

I can't speak for my opponents, but I have always been in favor of ⅞, ∞, λ, ¢,♪, and.  I support † as well, but the government should have no involvement in it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »

I can't speak for my opponents, but I have always been in favor of ⅞, ∞, λ, ¢,♪, and.  I support † as well, but the government should have no involvement in it.

I now going to hit random numbers are I use the Alt key and those will be my official campaign symbols:

Ω ⁿ ú ╥
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »

I've already made use of ™, ¢, and º.

I'm in favor of eliminating inequality (≠) and empty rhetoric (ø).

Πis old fashioned and should be reformed.

My campaign theme is the ∑ of many small issues united in one overarching issue of good governance,

I oppose gun ®.

Religion (†) is a private matter not a government one.

Unlike some of my opponents, I won't promise π in the sky.

Plain old ss is good enough for me.  I see no need for either ß or ſs to be used at the end of words.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »

As I have done with other campaigns, on behalf on the National Weekly Atlasian, I will critique this campaign as well:

With the budget no longer a concern of the Senate, it is more imperative than ever that we have a sense of fiscal discipline in Nyman. 

You're preaching to the choir.

The return to a gold standard in Atlasian finance that I advocate in this campaign is but a tool to achieve that discipline.  Without that discipline our government is all too likely to churn out such extravagances of spending as to quickly make a dollar worth but 50 cents.  Send me to Nyman and you will help to provide an honest government that ensures honest money for honest work!

Same as the first one.

While your mission statement is short and simple, I think you need to state your positions on other issues besides spending and gold standard. However, your positions on those issues are looked upon favorably by the classical liberal National Weekly Atlasian. Good luck with your campaign. Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »

For those looking to see more of what I intend to accomplish as Senator, I invite them to look at the platform of the Bourbon Democratic Party.  I've been developing my policy there since it will hopefully apply for more than a single election.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »

I now going to hit random numbers are I use the Alt key and those will be my official campaign symbols:

Ω ⁿ ú ╥

It kind of looks like it spells out "A Nut" which is hilarious if you hit those keys at random for your campaign.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »

Ω ⁿ ú ╥

It kind of looks like it spells out "A Nut" which is hilarious if you hit those keys at random for your campaign.
It seems as if the gods are against me Tongue
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2007, 05:45:08 PM by Ernest Cleveland »

Lowell, MA

I come here today to the birthplace of Atlasian industry to discuss what should be done to revive our own industrial production.  I begin by considering why Lowell and not some other place was our industrial cradle.  Lowell was blessed with both abundant energy and good transportation.  However, neither was present by random luck.  The Pawtucket Falls Canal provided the needed hydropower while the Middlesex Canal provided a direct link to Boston.  We need to provide for the energy and transportation needs of Atlasia so as to ensure a rebirth of industry.

We can prepare for our energy needs while at the same time reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by fostering the infrastructure needed for a rebirth of clean nuclear power.  Yucca Mountain must be made operational.  The permitting process for building new power plants must be streamlined.  Tort reform is required to ensure that lawsuits by environmental Luddites brought not because of their merits but only to delay and increase the cost of nuclear power cause those costs not to be borne by electricity users but by the Luddites who file their frivolous suits.  If only we could also cause them to have to pay back the time lost as well, but there are limits in what can be done without discouraging worthy torts as well as the worthless ones that need reigning in.

Power plants alone are not enough, we also need to build new transmission lines to carry not only nuclear power but also solar and wind power from where it will be generated to where it will be used.

In transportation we must also plan for our future.  We have too long neglected our infrastructure, delaying until tomorrow what we have been unwilling to pay today.  As what happened in Minnesota this past week has shown, tomorrow is today.  A high speed electric rail network in the south and east where population density is high enough to be affordable will help unclog our congested skyways and highways while at the same time reduce our use of polluting internal combustion engines and turbines.

New power and rail lines will require the assistance of government, especially in the use of its power of eminent domain to acquire the rights of way for these needed sinews of our future industrial muscle.

I hope that the voters of Massachusetts and the rest of District 2 will support me at the ballot box so that I can help bring a brighter future into our present as soon as possible.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:37 PM »

Portsmouth, RI

This town holds a special place in the history of Atlasia.  Founded by Anne Hutchinson in 1638, this town is the cradle of religious tolerance in Atlasia, the birthplace of the separation of church and state.

I favor and endorse that separation, not because as some misguidedly believe that religion is bad for the state, but because the state is bad for religion.  The signers of the Portsmouth Charter were religious people who because of their experiences in Massachusetts had come to that same conclusion.  That does not mean that the state should have a rigid abhorrence of faith as the supporters of the Educational Funding Clarification Bill now being debated in the Senate would apparently conclude.  That proposal would favor one creed, that of irreligiousity, above others.  If the state chooses to fund the non-religious portion of the education of our youth via a voucher program, then it is discriminatory and anti-religious to bar parents from using a voucher to send there child to a school that can provide that non-religious education merely because it chooses to integrate religion into the lessons it provides.  Indeed, the ability to integrate faith into the classroom without having the state impose a specific faith is to me the key advantage of using vouchers to fund public education.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 06:09:13 AM »

Canton, PA

I thought I'd come here to the site of the Pennsylvania Apple 'n Cheese Festival to answer a question that none of the candidates had sufficient time to answer at yesterday's debate:

Like my currency, I prefer my cheese to be hard and firm.  Golden cheddar and silvery parmesan are both found in my refrigerator.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:30 PM »

Oooo....a friend of the hard cheeses is a friend of mine, although Andrew's love of sharp cheese is admirable.....ehh I can decide! Angry (Not that it matters cause Im not in District 2 Smiley)

Good choice though!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies