U.S. -Canada border crossing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:33:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.S. -Canada border crossing.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. -Canada border crossing.  (Read 3197 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »
« edited: August 06, 2007, 10:33:35 AM by David S »

After a weekend trip to Canada we returned home Sunday. We took the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron. Going into Canada there was only a few minutes wait at the border but on the return trip traffic was backed up about two miles. We waited in line for over two hours to get to the check point. The guard asked  to see our passports and asked the usual questions and sent us on our way. That part took about two minutes. Apparently our experience was about typical. That's quite a pain in the neck. My advice to anyone planning to make the trip; make sure you visit a restroom before you get to Sarnia. Better yet, stay home.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »

After a weekend trip to Canada we returned home Sunday. We took the Blue Water Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron. Going into Canada there was only a few minutes wait at the border but on the return trip traffic was backed up about two miles. We waited in line for over two hours to get to the check point. The guard asked  to see our passports and asked the usual questions and sent us on our way. That part took about two minutes. Apparently our experience was about typical. That's quite a pain in the neck. My advice to anyone planning to make the trip; make sure you visit a restroom before you get to Sarnia. Better yet, stay home.

That is what Mexicans have had to cope with for decades! GET USED TO IT!
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »

That is what Mexicans have had to cope with for decades! GET USED TO IT!

My way of getting used to it is to not cross the border anymore. I invite the Mexicans to do the same.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »

Sounds like the real solution is not to cross back into America. Tongue
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

Indeed.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »

Well in honesty the Canadians are doing a much better job than we are in that respect. But  America is my home and where I will stay.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »

The real solution will be when America annexes Canada (starting with Alberta and your provinces that shouldn't just be provinces) and then the rest of the country. Then they will become Americanized and will be fine. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:07:46 PM »

The real solution will be when America annexes Canada (starting with Alberta and your provinces that shouldn't just be provinces) and then the rest of the country. Then they will become Americanized and will be fine. Smiley

At least you admit that there will never be a real solution.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:26:23 PM »

But annexing Mexicans is 1000000000000x more fun! At least, you get hard workers as opposed to hochey-stick weilding vigilantes Tongue
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »

Silly, the real solution is for the reverse to happen, so that the Capitol is converted into a $2000 a night hotel and the Pentagon turns into the world's biggest free health clinic. Everyone's happy. Well, except Texas rednecks. But you can't please everyone.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:04 PM »

Silly, the real solution is for the reverse to happen, so that the Capitol is converted into a $2000 a night hotel and the Pentagon turns into the world's biggest free health clinic. Everyone's happy. Well, except Texas rednecks. But you can't please everyone.

That still makes everyone happy because Texas rednecks aren't real people. Tongue
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:24:36 PM »

That still makes everyone happy because Texas rednecks aren't real people. Tongue

Not even Mexicans want them.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »

Silly, the real solution is for the reverse to happen, so that the Capitol is converted into a $2000 a night hotel and the Pentagon turns into the world's biggest free health clinic.

I don't think you can have the Pentagon or the Capitol, but if you want Detroit we might be able to work out a deal. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »

What do you do with  Gypsy?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

Silly, the real solution is for the reverse to happen, so that the Capitol is converted into a $2000 a night hotel and the Pentagon turns into the world's biggest free health clinic.

I don't think you can have the Pentagon or the Capitol, but if you want Detroit we might be able to work out a deal. Smiley

They can have Oakland too. Tongue
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 01:23:11 PM »

They can have Oakland too. Tongue

So much for a stupid Canadian reconquista
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »

David, was there any search of the vehicle or just questions?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »

In our case it was just a few questions. But cars ahead of us seemed to be more thoroughly checked. It was taking about 5-10 minutes per car before we got to the checkpoint, but only a minute for us. I don't think they were looking into trunks in most cases.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »

In our case it was just a few questions. But cars ahead of us seemed to be more thoroughly checked. It was taking about 5-10 minutes per car before we got to the checkpoint, but only a minute for us. I don't think they were looking into trunks in most cases.

The one question I always love at border crossings is this one: "Do you have any drugs or alcohol in your vehicle?"

I always have an intense urge to reply with, "Yes, I have 40 kilos of crack in the trunk.  That's okay, right?"

I mean, what do they expect you to say?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »

Just run a drug dog around the car and check the trunk quickly. If anything looks suspicous run the car off to the side and continue from there. Should go pretty fast and be a good thing.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »

The one question I always love at border crossings is this one: "Do you have any drugs or alcohol in your vehicle?"

I always have an intense urge to reply with, "Yes, I have 40 kilos of crack in the trunk.  That's okay, right?"

It may be tempting to say that but if you do you can plan on staying there much longer than you had planned.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »

It may be tempting to say that but if you do you can plan on staying there much longer than you had planned.

Yes, which is why I never actually do it. Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 12:04:55 AM »

A better option would be to get all offended by the question and say something along the lines of:  "Of course not, what do you take me for.  The only things I have in my trunk are the dead bodies of women I picked up hitchhiking on my way here.  How dare you ask me that?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies