Asian Vote by State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Asian Vote by State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Asian Vote by State  (Read 5114 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: August 14, 2007, 08:49:36 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2007, 08:52:41 PM by Verily »

Are they? Interesting. Most Indians here are working class.

I thought British Indians were middle to upper middle class and the Pakistanis/Bangladeshis were the working class ones...

No, it's more that all (or close to all) Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are working class. There is a large Indian (Hindu to be more accurate) middle class in parts of London (and in West Brum) though. Indians in Leicester are as working class as Pakistanis in Bradford or Birmingham.

Perhaps part of it is that Americans tend to distinguish between Hindu/Sikh/Jain Indians and Muslim Indians. An easy majority of non-Muslim Indians in the US are upper class or at least at the high end of middle class. Most are doctors, lawyers, computer engineers, or other high-paying non-financial jobs as only those Indians can typically afford to immigrate to the US.

I think BRTD has it right that colonial patterns make it much easier for Indians to immigrate to Britain, thus meaning that Indians in Britain are less wealthy overall than Indians in the US. This is exacerbated by the fact that most Indian families in the US are still first-generation, but Britain has plenty of second- and third-generation Indian immigrants.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:57 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2007, 10:31:21 PM by Verily »

Most Indian-Americans I know are Democrats. Indian-Americans also give a lot more money to Democrats. Who knows what will happen when Bobby Jindal is elected in Louisiana? I suppose it won't make much difference as it doesn't change the big issues, plus Jindal is a Catholic. But there are theories in political science that say that minority ethnic groups tend to go over to which ever party one of their own is first elected to high office from; based on studies of Connecticut politics and Irish and Italian immigrants in the first half of the 20th century. It would be interesting to see if Jindal turns around Louisiana. I can see him running for President in 2012 or 2016 if he does.

It might be more interesting if there were an appreciable Indian American population in Louisiana, but there isn't. If an Indian American Republican were elected governor here in New Jersey, I think the impact would be much stronger.

Chinese-Americans = Lean Democrat, historically lean Republican.
Filipino-Americans = Strong Lean Democrat
Japanese-Americans = Strong Lean Democrat
Korean-Americans = Strong Lean Democrat
Indian-Americans = Split now becoming more Democratic.
Pakistani-Americans = Strong Republican becoming Strong Democratic
Vietnamese-Americans = Strong Republican becoming Strong Lean Republican
Hmong-Americans = Strong Democrat

Also with Korean Americans I'm also a little surprised that they lean towards the Democrats since many Koreans in America are small businessmen or are in business fields of some form or another. Also I've noticed that Koreans tend to have a strong family oriented and religious tradition so I'm kind puzzled?     

The Koreans of Fresno County are split, but from anecdotal evidence and what my Korean friends in Los Angeles have said that they are mostly Democrats with a few voting Republican for foreign policy concerns.

Naturally I would expect Buddhists and the irreligious to vote more Democratic, with the Christians leaning towards the GOP.

I used to live in Fairfax which has a large Korean population and overall I would say they were split and it depending on the age or religious observence of the Korean-American you would met.   

Palisades Park, NJ:
"In 2000, 36.38% of Palisades Park residents identified as being of Korean heritage." [This number is increasing rapidly and will probably be a majority in the 2010 census.] "This was the highest percentage of Korean Americans of any place in the country with 1,000 or more residents identifying their ancestry."

"On the national level, Palisades Park leans strongly toward the Democratic Party. In the 2004 presidential election, Democrat John Kerry received 59% of the vote here, defeating Republican George W. Bush, who received around 41%."

Although Republicans have a slight registration advantage:

"Of registered voters, 1,105 (16.8% vs. 20.7% countywide) were registered as Democrats, 1,193 (18.1% vs. 19.2% countywide) were registered as Republicans and 4,294 (65.1% vs. 60.1% countywide) were registered as Undeclared. There was one voter registered to another party."

Palisades Park contains quite a few fundamentalist Christian Koreans, more than Buddhist Koreans, but even the fundamentalist Christians seem to prefer Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies