John Edwards is a big phony
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:49:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  John Edwards is a big phony
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Edwards is a big phony  (Read 1063 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »

(link)

... or at least it seems that way to Brad Warthen of The State's editorial page.  His opinion is based on how Edwards has interacted with people when he wasn't expecting the public to be seeing him.  Whether this matters to you depends on whether you expect or even want politicians to be themselves in public or not.  Still, for a politician whose main message is I'm one of the people, being such an obvious actor is a problem.  This doesn't affect my position on Edward's in the least.  I'm not voting for him this time around in either the primary or the general election.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:26:41 PM »

I think Edwards could be a good campaigner for "the poor," since every special interest group needs a spokesperson.  His "Two Americas" message is a good one, but it is far than enough to carry him through the primaries to win the nomination.  If Edwards wants to maintain this personna and campaign on it again in 2012, he needs to spend the next 4 years as the head of a group who actively works towards improving the lives of those who are in need.  That means starting up local chapters, providing individuals with job and housing, and creating something that shows a visible positive impact in the lives of many.  If he is successful there, then he can return in 2012 election and be quite successful. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »

I think Edwards could be a good campaigner for "the poor," since every special interest group needs a spokesperson.  His "Two Americas" message is a good one, but it is far than enough to carry him through the primaries to win the nomination.  If Edwards wants to maintain this personna and campaign on it again in 2012, he needs to spend the next 4 years as the head of a group who actively works towards improving the lives of those who are in need.  That means starting up local chapters, providing individuals with job and housing, and creating something that shows a visible positive impact in the lives of many.  If he is successful there, then he can return in 2012 election and be quite successful. 

Oh please.  Economically left campaigns, while rarely successful in the US, depend upon economic conditions, not upon the charitable resume of the candidate!  FDR wasn't piddling about in the Salvation Army soup kitchen for experience - he was an aristocrat who deigned to tap into the desperation of the majority.

Edwards needs more fire in the belly and gravitas, and he won't get those from some sort of petty, pointless activism.

I think your confusion, MODU, is that you don't understand the mind-set of lower working class and poor people.  They're angry.  And they're not dumb enough to believe that private efforts to 'help people' really change anything.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »

Yes, those poor people who do not have a lucrative war-time profiteering job are truly a special interest group.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »

Yeah, Edwards is the type of guy who will run again in 2012 because he feels that he is the "only person" who can help kids not go to bed hungry. However, I beg to differ. I think that Mr. Hamburger Helper and Captain Crunch might do a better job...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies