Barbara Mikulski
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:41:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Barbara Mikulski
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Barbara Mikulski  (Read 5013 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »

Barbara Ann Mikulski became the first Democratic woman elected to the United States Senate to hold a seat not previously held by her husband in 1986.  My question is whether you think will retire in the 2008 election.  If so who do you think will take over her seat?

I think it will be either Representative Chris Van Hollen or Representative John Sarbanes.  Van Hollen is a big member of the Democratic leadership in the House of Representatives.  Sarbanes is the son of former Senator Paul Sarbanes and holds the seat formerly held by both his father and the other two most recent Senators elected from Maryland, Ben Cardin in 2006 and Barbara Mikulski in 1986.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »

She was just re-elected in 2004, so she's not up until 2010.

And yes, I do think she will retire in 2010.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

She was just re-elected in 2004, so she's not up until 2010.

And yes, I do think she will retire in 2010.

Yeah she will most likely retire as she has had health problems too.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:47:49 PM »

Whoops, forgot that lol sorry.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

What's wrong with her?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »

Maryland is about as safe for the Dems as they come. I'm not sweating this one.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »

bob ehrlich.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »

Why would Maryland vote in a former Governor who couldn't even win reelection? That puts him in a far weaker position than William Weld or Tony Knowles.

Ehrlich has basically said he's done with politics anyway.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:18:10 PM »

Why would Maryland vote in a former Governor who couldn't even win reelection? That puts him in a far weaker position than William Weld or Tony Knowles.

Ehrlich has basically said he's done with politics anyway.

In an interview with the Washington post shortly after his defeat he said he was keeping his options about his politcal future open.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 10:32:50 PM »

He's not going to win though. If O'Malley ends up unpopular he might be able to retake the governorship in 2010, but he can't win a Senate seat.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »

He's not going to win though. If O'Malley ends up unpopular he might be able to retake the governorship in 2010, but he can't win a Senate seat.

Maybe he could against a really bad Democratic candidate, but it would have to be someone even worse than Kweisi Mfume would have been.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »

He wouldn't stand a prayer against Van Hollen or Sarbanes obviously.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 10:37:11 PM »

Yeah he is kind of backed into a corner as it seems O'Malley is kind of in the middle of a politcal mess and is going to have to make some very unpopular decisions of the next couple of years which may come back to haunt him.   
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »

What I love about Maryland is O'Malley only won 1 city and 4 counties, and one of those counties might as well have been a statistical tie. And he still won, and by a rather healthy margin. A 50/50 election in Maryland would have the Democrat winning only Baltimore and 2 counties.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 11:04:47 PM »

What I love about Maryland is O'Malley only won 1 city and 4 counties, and one of those counties might as well have been a statistical tie. And he still won, and by a rather healthy margin. A 50/50 election in Maryland would have the Democrat winning only Baltimore and 2 counties.

That is Maryland for you,and I'm just as surprised as you are everytime I look at those facts it never ceases to amaze me.
Conan
conan

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 04:51:35 AM »

O'Malley won 5 counties and one city.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »

If Michael Steele runs again and 2010 is an open seat race in a Republican year, I would be worried.  Steele ran better than any Republican Senatorial candidate had in about 30 years in Maryland. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »

note to brtd:  i am NOT predicting bob ehrilich to win.  so dont go start a million threads about my 'crazy predictions'

i am stating that i do believe bob ehrlich would be the strongest republican candidate.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 11:15:57 AM »

If Michael Steele runs again and 2010 is an open seat race in a Republican year, I would be worried.  Steele ran better than any Republican Senatorial candidate had in about 30 years in Maryland. 

The only reason he lost was due to 2006 being a very bad year for the Republicans,Also in 2010 Iraq maybe resolved by then,Which takes the burden off the Republicans and with the high chance of a Democratic President this all means that 2010 could be a good year for Republicans.
sethm0

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »

At this point, van Hollen seems like the most likely candidate to replace Mikulski. He's popular and he's a fighter.

The only Republican I can think of with a chance would be Steele, but I'm actually thinking that van Hollen will make a better campaigner than Cardin was and Steele will have an uphill battle.

O'Malley seems happy being governor. I can't see him running. Erlich is probably dead. Sarbanes may run, but I have a feeling he will be intimidated by van Hollen and would be likely to wait for Cardin to retire in a term or two.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »

The only reason he lost was due to 2006 being a very bad year for the Republicans,Also in 2010 Iraq maybe resolved by then,Which takes the burden off the Republicans and with the high chance of a Democratic President this all means that 2010 could be a good year for Republicans.
ZOMG! IT WAS BAD REPUBLICAN YEAR SO REPUBLICAN COULDN'T WIN IN SOLID BLUE STATE!

Roll Eyes

Haven't you forgotten Ford from Tennessee?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »

note to brtd:  i am NOT predicting bob ehrilich to win.  so dont go start a million threads about my 'crazy predictions'

i am stating that i do believe bob ehrlich would be the strongest republican candidate.

The question was "Who do you think will replace Barbara Mikulski?" and you simply replied "bob ehrlich"

As for being the strongest Republican candidate, that's like being the winner of a snail race.

Do you know how to count? I wouldn't be surprised if you can't of course.

Conan
conan

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »

The question was "Who do you think will replace Barbara Mikulski?" and you simply replied "bob ehrlich"

As for being the strongest Republican candidate, that's like being the winner of a snail race.

Do you know how to count? I wouldn't be surprised if you can't of course.

Try Cnn.com.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »

You trust a site that only puts up preliminary results and never updates it after the initial election over Dave's maps?

Dave has said never to use cnn.com or other secondary sources as sources when making maps because they are unreliable. It's like citing wikipedia as a source.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 01:49:19 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2007, 01:51:00 PM by Kevin »

ZOMG! IT WAS BAD REPUBLICAN YEAR SO REPUBLICAN COULDN'T WIN IN SOLID BLUE STATE!

Roll Eyes

Haven't you forgotten Ford from Tennessee?

Ford came close because it was a bad Republican year and everyone was angry at Bush and Iraq,Along with GOP corruption combind with the fact that TN's Democratic Governor was very well liked and won every county in the state in his reelection bid. Also Ford didn't win.   
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies