Tommy Thompson will drop out if...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Tommy Thompson will drop out if...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tommy Thompson will drop out if...  (Read 3137 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:32:46 AM »

He told supporters in an e-mail that he will drop out if he doesn't finish first or second in tomorrow's Ames straw poll.

Another one (soon to be) gone...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:34:58 AM »

He told supporters in an e-mail that he will drop out if he doesn't finish first or second in tomorrow's Ames straw poll.

First - No chance, Second - Highly unlikely; both Tancredo and Paul would have to have big disappointments (though I expect the latter; Paul's supporters don't seem the sort to vote in straw polls).
poughies
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »

First - No chance, Second - Highly unlikely; both Tancredo and Paul would have to have big disappointments (though I expect the latter; Paul's supporters don't seem the sort to vote in straw polls).

Good night Tommy.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:44:57 AM »

It had to happen eventually, and I dont think he can consider the slight success he had in polling a disappointment. It was fun while it lasted Tommy, but youre makin the right call.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »

Good for him. He has realized the jig is up.

He had one of the most sensible Iraq plans on the GOP side though...so his exit is disappointing in that sense.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:40 PM »

He had one of the most sensible Iraq plans on the GOP side though...so his exit is disappointing in that sense.

Aren't you anti-war though? If Thompson got his plan through, and the Iraqi parliament voted in favor of keeping our troops there, that would mean that we would have to continue our presence in Iraq just because their government wants us there. I think we should be our own boss of our policies, and withdraw regardless of whether the Iraqis [or anyone else in the world] approves of it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »

Aren't you anti-war though? If Thompson got his plan through, and the Iraqi parliament voted in favor of keeping our troops there, that would mean that we would have to continue our presence in Iraq just because their government wants us there. I think we should be our own boss of our policies, and withdraw regardless of whether the Iraqis [or anyone else in the world] approves of it.

Notice that I said on the GOP side. At least he is open to the idea of us leaving if the Iraqi parliament votes against our occupation.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 08:10:37 PM »

Notice that I said on the GOP side. At least he is open to the idea of us leaving if the Iraqi parliament votes against our occupation.

Well, both Brownback and Paul support withdrawal (and the latter supports immediate withdrawal). Are you saying that you'd rather have Thompson's plan than Brownback or Paul's withdrawal plan?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:17:21 PM »

Well, both Brownback and Paul support withdrawal (and the latter supports immediate withdrawal). Are you saying that you'd rather have Thompson's plan than Brownback or Paul's withdrawal plan?

Of course not. I prefer Paul to everyone else on the GOP side in general. I said Thompson had ONE of the most sensible plans on the GOP side. You have to take into account that there are like a dozen of these dudes running on that side alone. I didn't say Thompson had a better plan than any of them but he certainly has a better plan than any of the frontrunners. I mean does Fred Thompson even have an Iraq policy?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »

Of course not. I prefer Paul to everyone else on the GOP side in general. I said Thompson had ONE of the most sensible plans on the GOP side. You have to take into account that there are like a dozen of these dudes running on that side alone. I didn't say Thompson had a better plan than any of them but he certainly has a better plan than any of the frontrunners. I mean does Fred Thompson even have an Iraq policy?

Oh, I see. I forgot about the fact that there were seven Republican candidates who have the terrible "stay the course" strategy. Still, I don't really like Thompson's plan, as I would rather have withdrawal regardless of that country's opinion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »

I've heard in the top two or three though I've heard two more though I'd suspect he'd stay in if he was in a very close third. Eh, I'm hoping for a surprise for Thompson and that Paul massively fails.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »

By the way, does anyone know if "Tommy" is his actual first name or is it "Thomas"?  I would hate to have my name be Tommy.  Sounds silly.

I think it is Tommy. He doesn't seem to care (and neither does most of Wisconsin) so it hasn't hurt him in any way. His wife calls him Tom though Tongue (they had them in Ames, Iowa on local news last night and she said it so that's how I know).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »

kudos to him!

at least he is taking a chance and laying it all on the line.

unlike another thompson...

by the way, john edwards real first name is johnny
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 11:46:34 AM »

By the way, does anyone know if "Tommy" is his actual first name or is it "Thomas"?  I would hate to have my name be Tommy.  Sounds silly.

Wouldn't it sound even sillier if, in addition, your last name was Thompson? Tongue

But, in response to MasterJedi, I can understand why you are getting your hopes up, but I would start looking for another candidate if I were you. As for Paul, I guess we will find ou which one of us is right in abut 8 hours.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

But, in response to MasterJedi, I can understand why you are getting your hopes up, but I would start looking for another candidate if I were you. As for Paul, I guess we will find ou which one of us is right in abut 8 hours.

I'm hoping he does good and he has a fair chance of doing it but we'll see. And I know who I'll support after Thompson is gone, Rudy Giuliani.

You should also realize that even if Paul does above average (Iowa is a populist state, they love ethanol too) he still doesn't have any chance to win the nomination.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »

You should also realize that even if Paul does above average (Iowa is a populist state, they love ethanol too) he still doesn't have any chance to win the nomination.

I've accepted that ages ago. What I'm hoping for is that he gets enough support in the primaries to force the Republican nominee of 2012 to adopt his limited government message. They also said Pat Buchanan [in 1992/6] and John McCain [in 2000] had no chance at winning the nomination, but an upset in New Hampshire at least allowed them to have a chance at an upset.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »

I think the best that Paul can hope for is about 15%-20% in NH.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »

When is this fool going to drop out?  Seriously, I could have told you he wasn't going to be the nominee a year ago
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:54 AM »

When is this fool going to drop out?  Seriously, I could have told you he wasn't going to be the nominee a year ago

Within 48 hours. He's still a much better candidate than almost everyone else since he's one of the few who's given plans on what should happen.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »

Within 48 hours. He's still a much better candidate than almost everyone else since he's one of the few who's given plans on what should happen.

Yeah but I rather have no plans than horrific plans
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 09:57:17 AM »

And what are those "horrific" plans?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »

His health care insurance plan says no government and then uses the government at every step, he loves spending tons of federal money on education, supports global warming, and the rest of his position are too dry and unspecific
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »

His health care insurance plan says no government and then uses the government at every step, he loves spending tons of federal money on education, supports global warming, and the rest of his position are too dry and unspecific

And you have proven that you know nothing of what you are talking about. And anyone that doesn't believe in some form of global warming is an idiot.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

So you believe Inhofe is an idiot?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »

A shame. Tommy is the far superior of the two Thompsons.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies