NJ 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:22:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NJ 2009  (Read 10805 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:50:03 PM »

Time to start a discussion on this race, someone correct me but I will try to include anyone who may run for the office:

Republicans:

Good chance of running:
Fmr. Mets Pitcher Al Leiter
Morris County Assembly John Murphy*
Bogota Mayor Steve Lonegan
St. Sen. Tom Kean Jr.
Washington Twp. Councilman Bob Schroeder

Could run:
St. Sen. Bill Baroni
US Atty Christopher Christie

Most likely will not run:
Fmr. Mayor Bret Schundler
Perpetual Loser Doug Forrester
Fmr. Gov. Christie Whitman
Rep. Mike Ferguson
Rep. Jim Saxton
Fmr. Assemblyman Paul DiGaetano

Democrats

Incumbent:
Jon Corzine*

Would show interest if Corzine does not run:
Senate President and Fmr. Gov. Richard Codey
Rep. Frank Pallone
Rep. Steven Rothman
Newark Mayor Corey Booker

*Predicted nominee
My prediction: Murphy 50 - Corzine 49 GOP Pickup

Comment if you wish
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »

Democrats win, the end.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »

One would assume that, although that can also be attributed to Republicans running piss-poor candidates, something Murphy is not
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »

Given it's DWTL predicting a Republican win, I'm inclined to predict that Corzine gets reelected in a landslide.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 06:02:26 PM »

Given it's DWTL predicting a Republican win, I'm inclined to predict that Corzine gets reelected in a landslide.
I advise you to educate yourself on the race because that would be a blindly stupid prediction
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

Al Leiter? LOL
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »

Leiter isn't running for anything.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2007, 06:39:54 PM by Verily »

I advise you to educate yourself on the race because that would be a blindly stupid prediction

For a New Jersey politician, Corzine has approval ratings in the stratosphere. No way he loses reelection.

Also, Lonegan and Schroeder (ignoring Leiter)? Forgive me, but your man-crushes are not in and of themselves likely nominees. A Councilman running for Governor? That would truly be the end of the NJ GOP.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »

You should never ever type or utter those words to another person.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »

Murphy is an excellent candidate so he obviously wouldn't waste his time and talent on 2009. Corzine gets an easy win.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 10:28:50 PM »

My top choice would be Booker, but I think he should stay in Newark awhile longer.  He definitely has star potential though.
Conan
conan

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 12:29:46 AM »

Fmr. Mets Pitcher Al Leiter - Nope

Morris County Freeholder John Murphy - Likely

Bogota Mayor Steve Lonegan - Likely

St. Sen. Tom Kean Jr. - Nope, although he is expected to be Senate Minority Leader in the upcoming legislature.

Washington Twp. Councilman Bob Schroeder - Maybe

St. Sen. Bill Baroni - Look for him to challenge Menendez in 2012

US Atty Christopher Christie - Presumptive Nominee

Fmr. Mayor Bret Schundler - No

Perpetual Loser Doug Forrester - No

Fmr. Gov. Christie Whitman - No

Rep. Mike Ferguson - No

Rep. Jim Saxton - No

Fmr. Assemblyman Paul DiGaetano - Dark Horse

If Corzine retires, Codey will be the nominee and he will win easily. If he does not retire, he will be in a competitive race but likely win it by about 5%
Corzine - 54
Christie - 44/45
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 12:30:50 AM »

Guy Gregg should run. He used to be the republican darling of the right until he lost the GOP primary for state senate because he wasn't from Sussex.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 12:59:43 AM »

I'm pretty damned educated, and I concur that Corzine wins fairly easily.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 01:00:54 AM »

And Chris Christie is almost certainly going to run, and almost certainly going to be annointed the GOP nominee with little effort.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 02:36:51 AM »

You should never ever type or utter those words to another person.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »

For a New Jersey politician, Corzine has approval ratings in the stratosphere. No way he loses reelection.

Also, Lonegan and Schroeder (ignoring Leiter)? Forgive me, but your man-crushes are not in and of themselves likely nominees. A Councilman running for Governor? That would truly be the end of the NJ GOP.
I never said they had a good chance, just that they would run, something both did in 2005 and I expect them to repeat.  Leiter will most likely run for something eventually as he has hinted he would like to.  Murphy or Christie could win this race, people don't look to the future as the disaster of EnCap will most likely cost Corzine Bergen County which could cause him to lose the election.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »

I never said they had a good chance, just that they would run, something both did in 2005 and I expect them to repeat.  Leiter will most likely run for something eventually as he has hinted he would like to.  Murphy or Christie could win this race, people don't look to the future as the disaster of EnCap will most likely cost Corzine Bergen County which could cause him to lose the election.

Rutherford and southwest Bergen County is one thing; he also stepped in on behalf of Weinberg against the BCDO, which greatly improved his standing in central and southeast Bergen County. Hardly anyone outside of southwest Bergen County has even heard of EnCap.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »

Rutherford and southwest Bergen County is one thing; he also stepped in on behalf of Weinberg against the BCDO, which greatly improved his standing in central and southeast Bergen County. Hardly anyone outside of southwest Bergen County has even heard of EnCap.
In a close race, this pivotal swing area could provide the amount of votes to make or break his reelection
Conan
conan

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »

Most of Bergen doesn't care about Encap. It didn't start under his watch anyway. Leiter ruled out running I believe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 08:58:24 PM »

In a close race, this pivotal swing area could provide the amount of votes to make or break his reelection

The election is not going to come down to five hundred angry people in Rutherford. It won't even be within the margin of the entire population of the Meadowlands region all together.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:14 AM »

The election is not going to come down to five hundred angry people in Rutherford. It won't even be within the margin of the entire population of the Meadowlands region all together.
The Meadowlands itself (actually Rutherford is not the angriest town) is a large populous of people who certainly cannot be discounted
Conan
conan

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »

The Meadowlands itself (actually Rutherford is not the angriest town) is a large populous of people who certainly cannot be discounted
He can spare 100,000 votes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »

... says the kid who predicted a Tom Kean victory as late into the Senate race as October 2006.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »

... says the kid who predicted a Tom Kean victory as late into the Senate race as October 2006.

To be fair, that wasn't blindly stupid. His loss wasn't that big.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies