Libertarians & Conservatives: What would you cut?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:56:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Libertarians & Conservatives: What would you cut?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Libertarians & Conservatives: What would you cut?  (Read 4843 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 03:19:16 PM »

ahh.. my state would benefit from massive cuts in the federal government.  Again, we could stop paying for roads in the south.  Maybe the federal government could turn all of its lands back to Minnesota as well.  God knows we care for our resources better than the federal government does.

We could watch as roads and schools and medical care deteriorated across the south and people began moving out looking for opportunities elsewhere.  Maybe their reactionary ways would be dulled by the potholes and deteriorating schools.  We could all watch as Atlanta became the biggest bust in the country.

With the money we are saving by not subsidizing the south and other western states, we could build even better schools and roads and place ourselves firmly back on top. 

Unfortunately "Scandinavian" modestness and pity have been beaten into me by the society I live in, so I could never ACTUALLY advocate this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »

Based on these numbers here are some great cuts:

$699 billion (+4.0%) - Defense
$586.1 billion (+7.0%) - Social Security
$394.5 billion (+12.4%) - Medicare
$367.0 billion (+2.0%) - Unemployment and welfare
$276.4 billion (+2.9%) - Medicaid and other health related
$243.7 billion (+13.4%) - Interest on debt
$89.9 billion (+1.3%) - Education and training
$76.9 billion (+8.1%) - Transportation
$72.6 billion (+5.8%) - Veterans' benefits
$43.5 billion (+9.2%) - Administration of justice
$33.1 billion (+5.7%) - Natural resources and environment
$32.5 billion (+15.4%) - Foreign affairs
$27.0 billion (+3.7%) - Agriculture
$26.8 billion (+28.7%) - Community and regional development
$25.0 billion (+4.0%) - Science and technology
$20.1 billion (+11.4%) - General government
$1.1 billion (+47.6%) - Energy

Couple those with cutting back in other places like social security and that's great

Where do you work, DWTL?  Or are you still suckling on mommy's teet?  Maybe you should cut that connection before you advocate cutting others'.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

ahh.. my state would benefit from massive cuts in the federal government.  Again, we could stop paying for roads in the south.  Maybe the federal government could turn all of its lands back to Minnesota as well.  God knows we care for our resources better than the federal government does.

We could watch as roads and schools and medical care deteriorated across the south and people began moving out looking for opportunities elsewhere.  Maybe their reactionary ways would be dulled by the potholes and deteriorating schools.  We could all watch as Atlanta became the biggest bust in the country.

With the money we are saving by not subsidizing the south and other western states, we could build even better schools and roads and place ourselves firmly back on top. 

Unfortunately "Scandinavian" modestness and pity have been beaten into me by the society I live in, so I could never ACTUALLY advocate this.

...or you could sell your burdens  to contractors.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2007, 10:16:33 AM »

Couple those with cutting back in other places like social security and that's great

Where do you work, DWTL?  Or are you still suckling on mommy's teet?  Maybe you should cut that connection before you advocate cutting others'.
Actually both, I could live off my parent's both for the most part I have a job as well.  It's seasonal (little league umpire) but making about $1,000 a year satisfies what extra costs I have.  Not my fault that I was born into a family of hard-working people who stayed from drugs and other lethal vices.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »

what programs or general areas of spending would you cut in?

Just thinking aloud...  I would end the Iraq war immediately, if I had the authority.  That is, if I were King of the World.  That alone would save us a couple hundred billion dollars per year.  I would also decrease the salaries of public officials, if I had the authority.  Senators, representatives, the president, and their staffs earn about 20 billion dollars per year, if you include perks.  And of course I think we could also divorce the government from health care.  If all drugs became available without prescription, we'd save on the policing required.  And if health care companies were able to compete freely in the open marketplace, the cost of all drugs and services would naturally decrease, according to Price Theory.  I'd also legalize prostitution and marijuana, which should provide relief to state governments, most of whom tax commercial exchanges in the 5 to 9 percent range.  This relief could be coupled to an equal-value reduction of federal-to-state grants.  That's another fifty billion dollars per year. 

We're up to about 300 billion a year.  I'll let you know if I think of anyting else.  There probably is quite a lot to cut, but I hesitate to start slashing welfare, education, transportation, and housing, since I think such radical changes may cause more problems than it solves.  I think that three hundred billion should go in equal parts to paying off the national debt, research and development of alternative fuels, public transportation, and aid to poor countries and tribes from whom anti-US terrorists are recruited. 
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »

Wow. That's a good idea Angus.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »

sorry, that's not an argument. Try again.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies