Case Filing: Atlasia v. Jesus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Case Filing: Atlasia v. Jesus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Case Filing: Atlasia v. Jesus  (Read 5922 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »

I would suggest scrapping regional juries (and have juries selected on a national basis instead), but I suspect that any attempt to do that would be shot down by the usual suspects.

Well, I wouldn't mind a regional jury as each region has a wide variety of good candidates, but a jury by state is just pointless.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 01:33:02 AM »

If I moved to Washington now could I be a juror?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »

Interesting question actually.  Unfortunately, I think Atlasian law, both regional and federal is very lacking.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:29 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Jury_Selection_Act

Lets also not forget the myriad of procedural rights of appeal that are bound up in the CCJA as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »

Why is it "patently spurious", opebo?

I am required to give a reason?  Well, what I was getting at is that it is frivolous - I can't think of the legal term for such cases, but are they not generally thrown out preemptorily? 

But aside from that the laws mentioned are unconstitutional.

How are the laws unconstitutional?  I don't see how this has anything to do with free speech, especially since I suspect the standard of review would be lower for the government to prove concerning edits to personal webpages about Atlasian members.

Jesus is being persecuted for two varieties of speech, SS.  How can this not be about freedom of speech?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »

Ridiculous, King isn't there a way you could move for change of venue?  Possibly push off the case until the senate could address this issue.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »

Ridiculous, King isn't there a way you could move for change of venue?  Possibly push off the case until the senate could address this issue.

Legally, I only have one month before this case is dismissed due to lack of action.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »

Article 3, Section 2, Clause 1:
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial"

If I may comment on the trial proceedings so far...

Can someone explain to me why the jury must be taken from the Pacific region. Accroding to the Constitution: "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the region wherein the crime shall have been committed, which region shall have been previously ascertained by law."

While I understand that Jesus is a Pacifican, how has it been decided that the crime in question took place within the Pacific Region?

Also, the Chief Justice's directions on jury selection seem to me to be inconsistant with the Jury Selection Act in terms of numbers required and selection.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 03:11:21 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2007, 03:58:22 PM by TexasGurl »

We will have six.
And Jesus is in the Pacific so he must have commited the alledged crime on a computer in the Pacific.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 12:00:34 AM »

Does the jury have to be unanimous? If not, what happens in the case of a 3-3 tie?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 12:07:17 AM »

"In order for a jury to convict at least four jurors must deliver a guilty verdict, however the Justice may raise this to five or six jurors at his own discretion. Jurors shall make their verdict known by public post."
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 04:57:46 PM »

So far i have heard from only one juror.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »

We will have six.
And Jesus is in the Pacific so he must have commited the alledged crime on a computer in the Pacific.

Your honor,

You may wish to delay the trial and have a hearing on the question "where the crime was actually committed."

I certainly understand your logic in saying Washington state, but  interested parties (the prosecution or the defense) may try to argue an alternative and you may wish to hear their claims, namely where the server for the atlas wiki is located, if such information is avaliable.  Regardless of the result, this could help define the atlasian body of law and further legitimize the eventual judgment.

Respectfully submitted,
Bullmoose88
Head Partner
Law Firm to be Named.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »

I certainly understand your logic in saying Washington state, but  interested parties (the prosecution or the defense) may try to argue an alternative and you may wish to hear their claims, namely where the server for the atlas wiki is located, if such information is avaliable.

Good point, unemployed legal counselor Bullmoose88 (Wink).  A whois search for the domain says the server is in Massachusetts (probably because Dave is in MA).  Personally, I'd have no problem moving the case to the Northeast.  It might help the trial as there are a lot more active members to be put in a jury there.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »

What?  We already selected a jury.

If you rely on IPs and the like, how will you deal with people who don't live in the US?  People register in states and regions to get around exactly this problem.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 09:02:08 PM »

If you rely on IPs and the like, how will you deal with people who don't live in the US?  People register in states and regions to get around exactly this problem.

i understand, but Texasgurl is apparently having a hard time getting responses.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 10:39:25 PM »

Has the jury been empanelled? Sworn in?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »

Still waiting on replies from 3.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 11:56:53 PM »

Your honor,

I don't know the opinion of this court on the matter, however, until the entire jury has been empanelled, it is my humble opinion that the jury hasn't been empanelled.

While this court waits for this to happen, it may wish to hear arguments, presumably from the attorney general that the actual region where the crime was committed was the Northeast, namely Massachusetts.  It may wish to forestall empanelling the jurors in until there has been a clear determination of where the jurors should come from.

At the very least, it allows an interesting question in atlasian law to be argued while the case is delayed.

Respectfully,
Bullmoose88
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 02:09:36 AM »

Your honor,

I don't know the opinion of this court on the matter, however, until the entire jury has been empanelled, it is my humble opinion that the jury hasn't been empanelled.

While this court waits for this to happen, it may wish to hear arguments, presumably from the attorney general that the actual region where the crime was committed was the Northeast, namely Massachusetts.  It may wish to forestall empanelling the jurors in until there has been a clear determination of where the jurors should come from.

At the very least, it allows an interesting question in atlasian law to be argued while the case is delayed.

Respectfully,
Bullmoose88

Would delaying the trial not deny me of my constitutional right to a speedy trial?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »

Your honor,

Respectfully,
Bullmoose88

Would delaying the trial not deny me of my constitutional right to a speedy trial?

You have the right to a speedy trial...not one at breakneck speed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »

What I mean is this...

Yes, its wrong to have you sit in cyberprison forever/for a long time; however, a speedy trial does not demand that the court recklessly disregard proper procedure or hearings to ascertain where the crime was actually committed.

While they are all interesting issues of atlasian law, they are also all subissues of the trial and must be dealt with accordingly, and doing so does not deny you the right to speedy trial.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 04:12:43 PM »

I'm not trying to go too fast, I think this is the first criminal trial in atlasia so every move i make is precedence and i'm not going to take anything major like changing venue too lightly.
You can pm me anytime with your reasons for wanting this moved.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 01:24:03 AM »

I'm not trying to go too fast, I think this is the first criminal trial in atlasia so every move i make is precedence and i'm not going to take anything major like changing venue too lightly.
You can pm me anytime with your reasons for wanting this moved.

As I am apparently the only juror I would like to point out the fact that I will be gone for the next week or so (going to California!). so... Yeah... Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »

Well, Your honor,

I hope both the attorney general, and counsel for the defendant argue these interesting questions of law soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies