MA-05 special election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:28:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-05 special election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA-05 special election  (Read 6004 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »

primary is coming up on sept 4.  general election is in october.

niki tsongas is probably the favorite to win the democrat nomination (and the seat)

ive endorsed republican tom tierney.

http://www.tomtierney.org/home/
sethm0

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:16:33 AM »

It seems very likely that Tsongas will win. It will be nice to have a woman as part of the Mass. Congressional delegation.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »

Massachusetts is currently the largest state without a woman in its delegation. It's also the largest with every member of its delegation from one party, but that's going to stay the same.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »

niki tsongas is probably the favorite to win the democrat nomination (and the seat)

Are you in this district?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »

Are you in this district?

no.  i reside in ma-07
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »

Niki Tsongas has had around a twenty-point lead in every poll of the Democratic primary (and there have been five or six), so I think she has this one in the bag. The Republicans are obviously a non-factor.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:20:33 AM »

Tom Tierney is a dick.  He cost the GOP their last State House seat in Framingham, and actively worked in the somewhat competitive race in 2006 to make sure the GOP wouldn't get one back.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »

Tom Tierney is a dick.  He cost the GOP their last State House seat in Framingham, and actively worked in the somewhat competitive race in 2006 to make sure the GOP wouldn't get one back.

details?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »

details?

He ousted State Rep. Barbara Gray in a 1990 State Rep primary.  Although the gain was technically temporary: Gray got enough write-in votes in the Democratic primary at the same time to win her seat back as a Democrat.

He's one of those conservative-at-any-cost type candidates, and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't personally try to recruit a far stronger candidate for that seat.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »

I'm also a MA-07 resident, but I've been following the race. Tierney is not the real republican, that is Ognowski, a former Air Force Colonel whose brother piloted one of the planes on 9/11. He has raised $170,000 compared with Tierney's, well nothing. Despite the district being the 2nd most Republican in the state few people think he can win, so must Republicans are supporting State Rep Barry Finegold of Andover in the Democratic Primary. Type in any prominant Republican right up to Mitt Romney's finance chair and you will the 2300 contributions to Finegold.

The major candidates for the Dems are:

Niki Tsongas - huge name recognition, establishment support, Meehen's pick. Dosen't seem to have much content, or to have held a real job. Was an HMO lobyiest and opposes Universal Healthcare which hurts her in the primary. Has the second most money.

Elaine Donahgue - Former Mayor of Lowell, independently wealthy, and has put a lot of her own money into the campaign. Would be a strong candidate if Tsongas didn't make her redundant. Has consistently polled second.

Barry Finegold - State Rep from Andover. Basically the moderate in the Democratic field. Sponsored the state parental consent law in the legislature, was a Romney ally early on, is aligned with Martha Coakley and Tim Cahill at the state level, and supports Biden's plan to partition Iraq rather than an immediate withdrawal. Was polling third but that was before he went on air, and he has the most money of anyone. Raised 554,000 last quarter.

Jamie Eldridge - State Rep from Acton, the liberal candidate in the race. Strong Patrick ally, and former Dean campaign worker. Has raised only about 113,000, and a lot of that is through the 'netroots". Has a volunteer base, but no establishment support outside the Governor who is himself isolated. Potentially could make this a competitive general if he won the primary, though I think he would still win 53-47. He would be a potential upset in a 2010 Hillary midterm though, assuming he surrived an inevitable primary next year. Basically the Bill Sali of the dem field.

James Miceli - Democratic state rep. The conservative in the field. Pro-life, anti-gay rights, stay the course in Iraq. No money and polls at 5%. His chances are illustrated by all the republicans giving money to Finegold.

The conventional wisdom says this is Tsongas' race to lose. I wouldn't rule out a surprise Finegold victory though. Either one will easily win the general. So will Donaghue if she makes it through. Miceli might lose if by some act of god he made it, and Eldridge would make it close.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »

If I was voting, it'd be either for Tsongas (in a close race with Donoghue or Eldridge) or Feingold (in a Tsongas blow out).
Conan
conan

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:56:46 AM »

Niki Tsongas - huge name recognition, establishment support, Meehen's pick. Dosen't seem to have much content, or to have held a real job. Was an HMO lobyiest and opposes Universal Healthcare which hurts her in the primary. Has the second most money.
Her website makes it seem like she supports Universal healthcare.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »

The latest poll from SurveyUSA also has Tsongas ahead:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=3f9e767e-1af2-4d7b-9b1a-2167e94cb057
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »

Sounds like another Jack E. Robinson.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah they all support it in principle. She was squishy though on single player at the debate and defended HMOs. She was right imo, but a lot of liberals I've spoke with were upset.

As for the surveyusa poll, Tsongas will probably win. She has Meehan's support, and a lot of name recognition. Nonetheless, Finegold and Donoghue are both on the air now, as is Tsongas so we will see where this is in a month.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »

meehan endorsed tsongas?  i thought he hasnt endorsed anyone?

i believe it was meehan's wife who endorsed tsongas.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:36:12 AM »

Same thing.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »

Same thing.

Just a way for Meehan to say he's not picking favorites.

My personal preference is Donoghue; she seems less corrupt than Tsongas. Oh well.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »

My personal preference is Donoghue; she seems less corrupt than Tsongas. Oh well.

Where do you get the idea that Tsongas is corrupt?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »

Not "corrupt", just "establishment". I consider being beholden to HMOs corruption; it would be called corruption anywhere but the US.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »

Massachusetts is currently the largest state without a woman in its delegation.

That is Georgia.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »

Massachusetts is currently the largest state without a woman in its delegation.

That is Georgia.

Cynthia McKinney blew that one for 'em.   
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »

Not "corrupt", just "establishment". I consider being beholden to HMOs corruption; it would be called corruption anywhere but the US.

In the way that people called Ernest Marples corrupt? True. O/c Marples was corrupt in more than just one way.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 04:22:06 PM »

My issue is less corruption than competence. Tom Finneran(our former house speaker) was clearly on the less clean side of the spectrum but I thought all in all he had a positive impact on the state. I mean how many politicians would have stood up tot he Patriots when they asked for their new stadium? Most would leap at the opportunity to be photographed with the players opening a new stadium. Finneran stood them down, and we got the stadium and saved 150 million.

My problem with Tsongas is that if that wasn't her last name, she wouldn't even be running. She has done nothing to qualify herself for the job, and her career seems to have piggybacked off her husband's success. She spends a lot of time referring to how she and her husband were "partners" during his career which is a weak attempt to make up for the fact that she hasn't held a job that neither her husband or his friends arranged for her. Beyond that, there is nothing ideologically that sets her apart from the other mediocre MA reps, its just that since we are replacing one of our three semi-decent congressman, I was hoping we might do better than another Tierney.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 04:31:36 PM »

I know it's mean, but when I saw her walking the Pride parade this June in Boston, I screamed out "Paul Tsongas for Congress!"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies