VA 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:44:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA 2009  (Read 3881 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2007, 06:30:01 PM by Frodo »

Assuming John Warner retires, and Mark Warner runs to replace him in the Senate next year, is there any other Democrat out there who can keep the governorship in Democratic hands once Tim Kaine steps down?  Off the top of my head, here is the list of all the Democrats that I think can do it:

Creigh Deeds
Chapman Peterson

Republicans, meanwhile can choose between Lt. Governor Bill Bollings or Attorney General Bob McDonnell.  Or maybe Jim Gilmore could make a return appearance.
--------------------

What do you think?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »

What are Tim Kaine's current approval ratings?  The higher they are, the more likely the mansion will stay in Democratic hands (as evidenced by Kaine himself).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »

What are Tim Kaine's current approval ratings?  The higher they are, the more likely the mansion will stay in Democratic hands (as evidenced by Kaine himself).

As of July, his approval rating is at 60%, and his disapprovals at 34%, according to Survey USA.  If you look at his approvals since he first took office, on average, they have been at or around 55%:

-----------------------------------------

Not exactly stratospheric numbers, but they're certainly solid. 
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »

Jim Gilmore is looking to challenge Tom Davis in the primary in case J. Warner retires. Chap Peterson is not going to run for Governor, he is running for the State Senate this year. Look for Delegate Brian Moran, brother of the Congressman to possibly take a stab at the Governorship. I have heard good things from my sources in VA.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:29:10 AM »

I also like Deeds a lot, but his lack of fund raising skills is really going to affect his ability to run for Governor. Although hes eyeing the head of the ticket, I hope he runs for LT.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »

Jim Gilmore is looking to challenge Tom Davis in the primary in case J. Warner retires. Chap Peterson is not going to run for Governor, he is running for the State Senate this year. Look for Delegate Brian Moran, brother of the Congressman to possibly take a stab at the Governorship. I have heard good things from my sources in VA.

So Moron's son maybe our Governor ugh! That just makes me sick to my stomach!
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »

I've heard JoAnn Davis as a possible name for a GOP run.  I think it'll be Bolling/McDonnell vs. Deeds though (if Warner doesn't run).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »

I thought Jim Gilmore left office very unpopular, and that was part of the reason his Presidential bid was so absurd. Or am I misremembering?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »

I thought Jim Gilmore left office very unpopular, and that was part of the reason his Presidential bid was so absurd. Or am I misremembering?

His approvals were okay,However He left huge issues to say the least with the budget and he fought constently with the Republican controlled General Assemby. Also I don't remember much from that time so I can't say much more. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »

I think the biggest part of the absurdity was that he hasn't even been Governor since January 2002.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:03 AM »

I've heard JoAnn Davis as a possible name for a GOP run.  I think it'll be Bolling/McDonnell vs. Deeds though (if Warner doesn't run).

Rep. Davis was diagnosed as having a recurrence of breast cancer early this year and has been absent from the House since May.  She is undergoing chemotherapy.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-02084sy0aug12,0,5676998.story

Hopefully, she'll make a full recovery but, as of now, it's more than enough to rule out any possible gubernatorial bid

Dave
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:43:38 PM »

Mark Warner defeats sacrificial lamb.  he's too pussy to run for an office he could conceivably lose.  except for president, eventually.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »

Rep. Davis was diagnosed as having a recurrence of breast cancer early this year and has been absent from the House since May.  She is undergoing chemotherapy.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-02084sy0aug12,0,5676998.story

Hopefully, she'll make a full recovery but, as of now, it's more than enough to rule out any possible gubernatorial bid

Dave

Didn't hear that one.  She's probably doing just as much now as she normally does.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »

Mark Warner defeats sacrificial lamb.  he's too pussy to run for an office he could conceivably lose.  except for president, eventually.

He has about equal chance becoming Senator as he does Governor again. Besides Schumer is going to start putting pressure on him to run once Senator John Warner announces his retirement.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »

Warner ran for the Senate back in 1996, and came close to winning.  He will win in 2008.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »

Warner ran for the Senate back in 1996, and came close to winning.  He will win in 2008.

Unless he doesn't run, which I consider a strong possibility.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:26 PM »

I believe George Allen has also said he might run for Governor. Not that it maters, but still.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »

I believe George Allen has also said he might run for Governor. Not that it maters, but still.

Lol!! Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 04:49:35 AM »

Three-way primary with Allen, North, and Schrock.  Place your bets!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

I had thought that Mark Warner might run, but I'm now sure that he will run for the Senate seat, so I don't know who will run for Governor.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 12:26:47 AM »

I had thought that Mark Warner might run, but I'm now sure that he will run for the Senate seat, so I don't know who will run for Governor

Deeds?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »

I hope he does.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »

I had thought that Mark Warner might run, but I'm now sure that he will run for the Senate seat, so I don't know who will run for Governor.

Creigh Deeds will run in all likelihood, and with Mark Warner definitely running for John Warner's senate seat and Tim Kaine restricted from running for re-election, he is perhaps the best fit for the state as a Democrat out of all the possibilities out there.  He nearly won the race for Attorney General last time around, even though he was underfunded compared to his opponent (and incumbent), Bob McDonnell. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »

For the Democrats, it's State Sen. Creigh Deeds and State Del. Brian Moran. They've basically been running-without-actually-running since the '05 elections were over.

For the Republicans, it's Attorney General Bob McDonnell and Lt. Governor Bill Bolling. There are rumors that Bolling may run in the special election for VA-01; although he doesn't actually live in the district, his old State Senate district lies mostly within the congressional district. There are also the rumors of George Allen making a comeback bid, although I don't know why he would do that -- he'll never be president now, which is the only thing he really seemed to want.

It's interesting to note that, since 1977, Virginians have always elected a Governor from the opposite party of the sitting President. Who knows if there's a correlation there.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »

For the Democrats, it's State Sen. Creigh Deeds and State Del. Brian Moran. They've basically been running-without-actually-running since the '05 elections were over.

For the Republicans, it's Attorney General Bob McDonnell and Lt. Governor Bill Bolling. There are rumors that Bolling may run in the special election for VA-01; although he doesn't actually live in the district, his old State Senate district lies mostly within the congressional district. There are also the rumors of George Allen making a comeback bid, although I don't know why he would do that -- he'll never be president now, which is the only thing he really seemed to want.

It's interesting to note that, since 1977, Virginians have always elected a Governor from the opposite party of the sitting President. Who knows if there's a correlation there.

New Jersey has done the same since 1989 *I think*.  2009 could break the trend in both states with John Corzine being re-elected in New Jersey and Creigh Deeds winning in Virginia.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies