Local Election Maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:52:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Local Election Maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Local Election Maps  (Read 68926 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

Al, do you have a specific website with blank (modern) maps of ward boundaries in local authorities? (Or anyone else, really, but I expect Al is the most likely.)

There's the boundary commision's website; but the maps are rather large and various stuff can get in the way. I do have quite a lot of blank ward maps from various places though; PM me with local authorites you're interested in.

I'm about 75% the way through a detailed MM ward map of Scotland. It should also help with the  Commission reporting in a moths time.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:21:08 AM »

Maps of the UK regions by ward on 2011 boundaries have been uploaded on wiki, enabling this:

Link? These seem pretty good.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »

Scotland 2007; by largest party in % vote.

Will be updated in less than a month Tongue

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »

Looking at the damage in Scotland

Up first the Tories who must be on their knees that we have STV to thank for not being slaughter.

2007:

2012:

The darkest colour is 3 wards, the middle colour is 2 and the lightest is 1.

Worth noting a success and a failure. Two successes are Aberdeenshire where the Conservatives gained from the Lib Dem collapse. A second is Edinburgh, where they Tories held even. South Ayrshire too was not a disaster.

Two failures; locally the Conservatives suffered in South Lanarkshire. However what is noticable is the poor result in East Dumbartonshire; not one councillor was returned in Bearsden.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »

That (Bearsden) is a shock, yeah. Who benefited?

SNP. The Lib Dems held on. Speaking of which

Liberal Democrats

And now in 2012...

So bad news bears for the Lib Dems. Slaughtered in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Their sparse representation in the West of Scotland is also reduced.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »

Scotland coloured by party with the largest total number of first preference votes. Note, independents standing are not grouped together

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »

Only on the basis that I tend not to colour them (or Orkney/Shetland) in due to the saturation of independents. Often the only challenger is the SNP. No harm in adding that I suppose.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

Old school map of Edinburgh.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2012, 02:33:57 PM by afleitch »

I'd just like to say that all of the maps in this thread are great Smiley

Also that Edinburgh map, which I presume is margin of victory is really interesting. It seems that the where the Tories won, they won big (unless that's just the shade of blue) which can't really be said for the other parties, apart from a few strongholds for Labour like Burdiehouse or Drylaw. Is this because the Conservatives are getting all the right of centre votes, so in some areas will get 50-60%, while there is a split in the left of centre ones, so the SNP, Labour and the Greens can't get large wins?

Yes. The Tories won lopsided victories in much of their older hinterland due to the Lib Dems falling back spectacularly so much so that they would have topped the poll in the Edinburgh Southern Holyrood vote. Of course it' worth remembering that the pattern of first preferences is not too different in many regards to voting patterns in previous local elections.

See the comparison with 2003; i've used the 2012 results and overlaid them over the old wards

So 2012 under the old system would have given us Labour 24, Conservative 16, SNP 11, Green 6, Lib Dem 1. You can see that the Tory vote is where it always was, but it has in many ways eaten into the Lib Dems where it was a two way battle. The thing is, every party has eaten away at the Lib Dems too.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

Finally updated my ward map for 1974-1980. So here be Glasgow.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »

It's strange that the weirdest detail of 1977 isn't actually all the blue (even if their last hurrah in Dennistoun is at least mildly amusing), but Drumchapel et al. Local issue?

It's been a tough one to pin down. Labour were involved in breeching house letting rules city wide which was one of the 'big' stories that year; though this appears to have affected Hutchesontown, the source of the scandal where the SNP won. I've yet to pin down why the SNP did so well there, which would be helpful as there was the Garscadden by-election the following year.

The map itself was based on physical descriptions and a rather crummy base map.

I'm trying to put together a full compendium of maps for a site I may or may not be arsed making.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »

This is Glasgow by polling district 2012. The SNP/Tories were evens in one district. The Lib Dems and the Greens also won one. The pattern of SNP support is stronger than in 2007 (I have the map on her somewhere) How it was in 2011 is anyone's guess.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »

I’ve been toying with trying to show past local election results by constituency. By ward is too complex and by local authority area doesn’t pick up particular local trends. I’ve made a trial run with Strathclyde (using the 1983 boundaries as they were the first to be drawn using the new regions/districts) Worth pursuing?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies