The fall of Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The fall of Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The fall of Obama?  (Read 4992 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »

In the last month, Obama has strung together a chain of foreign policy quotes which will hurt him if (by some chance) he wins the democratic nomination next year.  His latest one is:

"We've got to get the job done there," he said of Afghanistan. "And that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."

Now, it is probably easy to read into what he is trying to say and realize that he's talking about the need to capture and control regions within Afghanistan rather than raid, kill the Taliban, leave, let the Taliban return, go back in and kill more Taliban, etc...  But when it comes to commercials and talking points, he is quickly dooming himself. 

Here is an article today that lists most of his one-liners from this past month, and how he's had to go back and correct his comments:  "Obama's comments on Afghanistan draw sharp rebuke from Romney campaign".
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

It would seem that in the last month, Obama has shown what his true role in the race for the Democratic nomination is: Make so many idiotic statements that it makes Hillary look sane and electable. It wouldn't surprise me if the Clinton camp is behind Obama's run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:51:34 PM »

You bet he's falling. He's very overrated. The idiotic statements keep coming and coming...
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »

It would seem that in the last month, Obama has shown what his true role in the race for the Democratic nomination is: Make so many idiotic statements that it makes Hillary look sane and electable. It wouldn't surprise me if the Clinton camp is behind Obama's run.

I think you're digging kinda deep there for a conspiracy.  More likely what you have is a classic example of a young politician who is unready for a national campaign which garners the kind of attention a Presidential campaign does.  If you look at the missteps of many politicians early in their careers when they first hit the national stage, Obama's don't look so bad.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »

Despite his mad money,Obama's politically inexperienced and naive character is showing. It also looks like Hillary's path to the Democratic nomination is clear.  
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »

I think you're digging kinda deep there for a conspiracy.  More likely what you have is a classic example of a young politician who is unready for a national campaign which garners the kind of attention a Presidential campaign does.  If you look at the missteps of many politicians early in their careers when they first hit the national stage, Obama's don't look so bad.

Don't ever underestimate how low the Clintons will go.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

You got a point,Also rumor has it they threated to spread rumors about Mark Warner unless he bakced out of his Presidental run or so I've heard.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »

Almost as low as the Bush's?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »

The Bush's well at least George W are just incompetent not very corrupt.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »

The Bush administration was not corrupt?  In any case I'll take a competent, albeit power-hungry (though I personally believe that phrase is a steep exageration) Clinton over Bush without a second thought.  Nothing wrong with a little ambition to temper good altruistic values.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »

The Bush administration was not corrupt?  In any case I'll take a competent, albeit power-hungry (though I personally believe that phrase is a steep exageration) Clinton over Bush without a second thought.  Nothing wrong with a little ambition to temper good altruistic values.

The Bush Administration is more secretive then corrupt in my opinion.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2007, 04:54:19 PM by Verily »

I think you're digging kinda deep there for a conspiracy.  More likely what you have is a classic example of a young politician who is unready for a national campaign which garners the kind of attention a Presidential campaign does.  If you look at the missteps of many politicians early in their careers when they first hit the national stage, Obama's don't look so bad.

The Bush Administration is more secretive then corrupt in my opinion.

Your opinion is rarely grounded in reality. There is no Grand Clinton Conspiracy, just Hillary Clinton raising a lot of money and spending it on a campaign. Her campaign may use "dirty" tactics in the sense of smearing others, everyone does, but it doesn't involve planting her primary opponent to make her look good.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »

I have agreed with most of Obama's statements including this one (although it isn't the best thing to say when running for President I suppose).

I love how people are building Clinton up though. She will never be able to meet people's expectations for her.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »

Obama is doing quite well thus far. He is right at or near the top of the polls in the early primary states (Iowa, NH and South Carolina).

He does have many people on both the left and right that are doing everything they can to cut him down, though. It's quite pathetic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:11 PM »

He does have many people on both the left and right that are doing everything they can to cut him down, though. It's quite pathetic.

Oh, it's our fault that he's putting his foot in his mouth?

Good old Barack isn't what everyone thought he was. Let's accept this.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »

What did people think he was exactly?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »

JFK's and/or Robert Kennedy's second coming, as well as the Democratic-version of Reagan.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »

What did people think he was exactly?

He was really built up as this perfect candidate. We constantly hear about that amazing oratory of his but now it seems like he just ends up putting his foot in his mouth more than anything. He's also getting a few beatings from Hillary.

The man is a novice built up as a super skilled veteran. He'll go down hard.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 08:11:36 PM »

In the last month, Obama has strung together a chain of foreign policy quotes which will hurt him if (by some chance) he wins the democratic nomination next year.  His latest one is:

"We've got to get the job done there," he said of Afghanistan. "And that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become. First, to say that the military, is killing civilians is simply a flat base lie. Second, there has not been an "air-raid" so to say during anytime during the War on Terrorism. I can accept the second point just being unfamilar with combat operations but to say troops are simply conducting operations and are killing civilians is simply showing that Obama does not know the miltary and futher more is disrespecting the military. I can safely bet that any support any Soldier/Marine/Sailor,etc had for him is gone after that pathetic comment.

This is the becoming of another John Kerry in my books.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »

Er... the AP would disagree with you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become.

This isn't about Obama becoming dumb. It was all the hype with this guy. I at least acknowledge that Thompson may suffer from hype and could falter (though I still believe that with the dissatisfaction with the GOP candidates that Fred could still win after a few slips). In the eyes of his fans, Obama does no wrong.

This winter is going to be a bitch for them.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 08:25:08 PM »

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become.

This isn't about Obama becoming dumb. It was all the hype with this guy. I at least acknowledge that Thompson may suffer from hype and could falter (though I still believe that with the dissatisfaction with the GOP candidates that Fred could still win after a few slips). In the eyes of his fans, Obama does no wrong.

This winter is going to be a bitch for them.

Phil, with that comment, he is DUMB. But you are correct, there is way too much hype with Obama. He is all hype and no substance and his comments about the military prooves that he clearly lacks knowledge and substance.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become. First, to say that the military, is killing civilians is simply a flat base lie. Second, there has not been an "air-raid" so to say during anytime during the War on Terrorism. I can accept the second point just being unfamilar with combat operations but to say troops are simply conducting operations and are killing civilians is simply showing that Obama does not know the miltary and futher more is disrespecting the military. I can safely bet that any support any Soldier/Marine/Sailor,etc had for him is gone after that pathetic comment.

This is the becoming of another John Kerry in my books.

He is the Democratic McCain in terms of going down hill so quickly.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 08:32:53 PM »

Cant wait to dig this one up after november
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »

The only reason Obama is 'going down' is because the Romney campaign has recently decided, for whatever reason, to focus some significant resources and money to attack Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies