The fall of Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:24:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The fall of Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The fall of Obama?  (Read 5003 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Cant wait to dig this one up after november

So confident that he'll not only win the nomination but also the General? Interesting.

Well, either way, I have no problem with dealing with people bringing up comments that end up being wrong. I own up to them when I must.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »

Troops to Afghanistan, meeting one on one with brutal third world despots, marching in a picket line. 

This man is becoming a political joke.

Obama is supposed to be Hillary's major competitor for the nomination?

If this pathetic performance is all Hillary has to be concerned with, it's smooth sailing for her all the way to the nomination.

Obama is proving tio be a very amateurish candidate, easy pickins'.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »

In the last month, Obama has strung together a chain of foreign policy quotes which will hurt him if (by some chance) he wins the democratic nomination next year.  His latest one is:

"We've got to get the job done there," he said of Afghanistan. "And that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become. First, to say that the military, is killing civilians is simply a flat base lie. Second, there has not been an "air-raid" so to say during anytime during the War on Terrorism. I can accept the second point just being unfamilar with combat operations but to say troops are simply conducting operations and are killing civilians is simply showing that Obama does not know the miltary and futher more is disrespecting the military. I can safely bet that any support any Soldier/Marine/Sailor,etc had for him is gone after that pathetic comment.

This is the becoming of another John Kerry in my books.

He is the Democratic McCain in terms of going down hill so quickly.

Uh... no. If anybody fits the McCain mold on the Democratic side it's Edwards.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 11:05:19 PM »

In the last month, Obama has strung together a chain of foreign policy quotes which will hurt him if (by some chance) he wins the democratic nomination next year.  His latest one is:

"We've got to get the job done there," he said of Afghanistan. "And that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become.

This isn't about Obama becoming dumb. It was all the hype with this guy. I at least acknowledge that Thompson may suffer from hype and could falter (though I still believe that with the dissatisfaction with the GOP candidates that Fred could still win after a few slips). In the eyes of his fans, Obama does no wrong.

This winter is going to be a bitch for them.

Phil, with that comment, he is DUMB. But you are correct, there is way too much hype with Obama. He is all hype and no substance and his comments about the military prooves that he clearly lacks knowledge and substance.

You deny that the troops have killed civilians?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 11:06:31 PM »

Cant wait to dig this one up after november

Same here.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 11:11:36 PM »

I can not believe how DUMB Obama has become.

This isn't about Obama becoming dumb. It was all the hype with this guy. I at least acknowledge that Thompson may suffer from hype and could falter (though I still believe that with the dissatisfaction with the GOP candidates that Fred could still win after a few slips). In the eyes of his fans, Obama does no wrong.

This winter is going to be a bitch for them.

Phil, with that comment, he is DUMB. But you are correct, there is way too much hype with Obama. He is all hype and no substance and his comments about the military prooves that he clearly lacks knowledge and substance.

You deny that the troops have killed civilians?

The quote seems to indicate that Obama thinks our main goal in Afghanistan is to kill civilians.  He's not saying that we're killing civilians by accident.  He's saying that we need to do more in Afghanistan than "just killing civilians."

I know what he meant, but he's as prone to highly embarrassing gaffes as Kerry was.  He was with 'em before he was against 'em?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 11:13:30 PM »

How, exactly, is Obama prone to make gaffes? The only thing going wrong for Obama that I see are the overt mis-quotes coming from Romney's spin machine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 11:50:36 PM »

The last couple of weeks haven't been that great for Obama, but not because of what he has done, but because it has been a great two weeks for Hillary. No one cares about those statements he made.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 02:15:46 AM »

Interesting fact check.

http://politicalwire.com/news.html?articleId=4924371&buyerId=PoliticalWirecom&channelId=793

It seems Western forces have not only killed civilians, they are killing them at a faster rate than the insurgents there are.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »

How, exactly, is Obama prone to make gaffes? The only thing going wrong for Obama that I see are the overt mis-quotes coming from Romney's spin machine.

Actually, it would be Clinton who has called him on most of the comments so far, only to have one of her own comments come back and bite her in the butt.  Romney hasn't had to spin do much of anything with regarding Obama's mental lapses.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »

LOL @ everyone that blames Romney for attacking Obama when Hillary has been the one teaching Obama a leason.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »

Yikes.

It looks to me as though Obama is trying to combat his perception of being naive on foreign policy or too dovish by going out of his way to say things like this that only turn around to bite him in the ass and thus seem, well, naive on foreign policy.

Denying that civilians get killed by the US is pretty idealistic, though. Of course they do. But that isn't the intent.

It's amusing to me how quickly opposition to Obama will jump on this rhetoric. It makes them look afraid of him.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »

Well, let's go over what Obama's foreign policy comments have been recently:

Withdraw from Iraq, surge in Afghanistan, meet with Bashir Assad, and unilaterally attack Pakistan if necessary.

The problem isn't so much that he's been gaffing, so much as it is a problem that he does not seem to have a consistent foreign policy message. 
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »

The Obama campaign has been a failure.

If they really want to win they have to get their sh**t together...soon.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2007, 11:41:53 PM by ☺ Tik ☺ »

Withdraw from Iraq, surge in Afghanistan, meet with Bashir Assad, and unilaterally attack Pakistan if necessary.

The problem isn't so much that he's been gaffing, so much as it is a problem that he does not seem to have a consistent foreign policy message. 

I don't think those things are exactly inconsistent.. though I would agree he doesn't have any bumper sticker phrases to sum up his viewpoint.

Withdrawing from Iraq and surging into Afghanistan and invading Pakistan if necessary kind of flows together. Refocusing the 'War on Terrorism' away from Iraq and towards Afghanistan and ultimately catching Bin Laden who is believed to be somewhere in Afghanistan/Pakistan is something that the majority of Americans can get behind, I would think. Meeting with our enemies isn't terrible either, if we can convince them to change their ways through diplomacy. Many would argue that avoiding direct confrontation (be it verbal or not) with Iran and North Korea has only made them act out even more, for example.

Of course I'm no foreign policy expert, but I don't think his stances are exactly ridiculous. He's just been bad at expressing them effectively. It's always a very complicated thing to discuss, obviously, so I'm not surprised he would get flack for running off his mouth.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »

Interesting fact check.

http://politicalwire.com/news.html?articleId=4924371&buyerId=PoliticalWirecom&channelId=793

It seems Western forces have not only killed civilians, they are killing them at a faster rate than the insurgents there are.

Obama is correct, but he needs to obviously phrase things better. Statements such as these on the campaign trail are going to be torn apart by the Republicans.

Say what you will about Obama's governing experience, but his campaign has shown thus far that he lacks the necessary political skills to win the nomination and defeat the Republican nominee next November. Here's hoping that he picks it up.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't agree with all those positions, but 'consistency' is hardly needed nor really shown in foreign policy. Specific situations call for specific actions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:43 AM »

I've not seen the full quote.

If he just said that Western forces have killed civilians in Afghanistan, then he'd be correct (of course. That people die in wars should not be a surprise to anyone).

If he said (or implied) that that was all that Western forces in Afghanistan are doing, then he is very, very wrong.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:16 AM »

...of course, if he's actually suggesting sending more troops to Afghanistan, good for him.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »

The fall of Obama? A bit premature I'd say, given that the money hasn't stopped pouring into the coffers. I do consider him inexperienced, however, and it's showing

Dave
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 06:44:01 PM »

You guys can do that when Obama is either VP or still a Senator.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 06:54:53 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2007, 07:00:32 PM by Creeping While You're Sleeping »

Considering he polled 3rd among Republicans in Iowa and has out funded Hillary (who is obviously despised by the Left and Right alike), I wouldn't count him out now.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 07:22:06 PM »

like many 'hot' candidates...Obama looked much better before he came in. He seems great but there is no there there...he simply is not ready and the more he talks the more he makes this clear. The opposite seems true with Clinton...the more she talks the more she seems ready.

I have never liked Hillary...but I have to admit that her campaign has been very impressive and she seems to be competent. It is still early but she is the most impressive as a candidate from both sides. Then again she has a pretty good political advisor
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 12:57:14 AM »

like many 'hot' candidates...Obama looked much better before he came in. He seems great but there is no there there...he simply is not ready and the more he talks the more he makes this clear. The opposite seems true with Clinton...the more she talks the more she seems ready.

I have never liked Hillary...but I have to admit that her campaign has been very impressive and she seems to be competent. It is still early but she is the most impressive as a candidate from both sides. Then again she has a pretty good political advisor

There is as much there "there" with Obama as there is with any of the other frontrunners in the race (which might not be saying much but at least he has some fresh ideas).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies